Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Mutant
Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Mutant

Title:  Portrait of the Artist as a Young Mutant
Author:  Terri (with a little assist from James Joyce on the title..)
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  PG-13
Disclaimer:  I own no one, and I wish I could actually produce the paintings
Archive:  Ask, and ye shall receive.
Feedback:  Please?  With whipped cream on top?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome
Warning:  I have to put a BadJean warning on this one (because I have learned to err on the side of caution there..) but I actually see her as less icky than my UsualJean here.
Summary:  Budding painter Rogue struggles with her development as a person and an artist.  Some people are more helpful than others.
Comments:  Some people have asked me if I paint.  Let me say right off that the answer to that is no.  (Or at least not very well.)  Let me also say that I don't like James Joyce.  Not one bit.  And I know that of which I speak -- I've read most of his works, including the big-ass (is that the literary term?) Ulysses, repeatedly.  Still no dice.  That just goes to show that art is subjective.  Or at least I think so ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------



'Hey, you're back.  Are you OK?"  Rogue was in the kitchen, just about to look for a late-night ice cream snack, when the X-team entered, fresh from their latest mission. 

"Yeah."  Logan answered as though the question had been directed only to him.  In fact, it probably was, but Jean crinkled her nose at his reply.  "They got away, though."  Logan hadn't been back at the mansion five minutes-just enough time for Rogue to hug him and squeal and say "I'm so glad you're finally back!"-before he was pulled away for a mission.  Ordinarily, he would've declined.  He wasn't interested in joining the team. Except - this mission involved Mystique and Sabretooth, and Logan was interested in revenge.  Very interested.

"Crap."  Rogue frowned a little as Logan crossed the kitchen to hug her.  That promptly erased the frown from her face.

"Language, Rogue," Jean warned, causing Logan to pull back and shoot Jean a quizzical look.

"She said crap."  Jean huffed, and Logan shrugged.  "What's wrong with crap?"  It was certainly nothing next to the stream of obscenity that he'd unleashed when the gruesome twosome made their escape.

"What are you doing down here at this hour anyway?"  Jean took a seat at the kitchen table.  "It's almost three a.m. and don't you have an eight a.m. exam tomorrow?"

"Yeah," Rogue answered evenly.  She was used to Jean by now.  "That's what I was studying for.  Well, that and I was redoing my painting for my art final.  I came down for some ice cream."  She separated herself from Logan, who kept his eyes on Rogue but planted his butt in a chair between Scott and Storm.  Opening the freezer, she continued, "I was hoping for some peanut-butter chocolate."

"Oh.  Sorry, I finished it off yesterday."  Before she could help it, Rogue let out a soft growl, one that probably only Logan heard.  "Besides, late night snacking puts weight on, and you've already gained twenty pounds since you've been here, Rogue."  Rogue ignored those comments and continued the ice cream search, but Ororo came to her defense.

"I think Rogue looks quite healthy.  She needed those twenty pounds.  When she arrived, she was underweight."

What are we going to discuss next?  Whether I need a boob job or something? Rogue removed a foil-wrapped mystery package and dug a little further into the freezer. 

"Besides," Scott joined in, "she needs energy to cram for calculus, right?"  Rogue spared him a backward glance and a smile.  She didn't notice the plainly befuddled look on Logan's face as he followed the conversation. 

"That's right," Rogue responded. 

"Ah, so you admit you are cramming?" Scott was plainly teasing, but Jean let out a little 'hmph' that had a distinctly 'Busted!' tone to it.

"I'm merely packing in all the available study time.  I've heard rumors of students who don't enjoy studying calculus, but luckily I am not among them."  There was a chuckle in Rogue's voice, and her reply merited a short laugh from Scott and 'Ro.  "It's-umph-a privilege to be able to spend an evening calculating the area of a curve, really.  This-umph - something's stuck."

"Allow me," Hank offered as he entered the kitchen. 

"Whew.  Thanks.  It's really stuck, whatever it is."  Rogue moved aside to give Hank access to the freezer.

"Permit me to guess-you are in search of some ice cream, perhaps of the peanut-butter chocolate variety?"  Hank examined the offending tupperware container and made a few quick mental calculations before firmly grabbing hold of one end and yanking it out. 

"Yes, but Jean finished that container off.  I'm hoping for some cherry vanilla, maybe some chocolate chocolate chip?"  She peered around Hank's shoulder at the newly exposed area of the freezer. 

"Sorry.  Butter pecan."  Hank extracted the small container and extended it in Rogue's general direction.  "Want it?"

"No, no, you go ahead.  That kind goes better with twinkies anyway.  Besides, I should let you all go and get back to my painting."

"I thought you'd finished, Rogue," Ororo chimed in. 

"Well," she hedged as she scooted around the kitchen perimeter toward the door, "I decided to start all over."

"My stars!  Why?  It was an amazing painting."  Hank had forgone a bowl and was breaking up twinkies directly into the ice cream container. 

"Rogue can do better," Jean answered and a sigh of understanding spread through the room.  Jean was the interim art teacher, and had been a critic of nearly all of Rogue's work.  Hank was frankly becoming concerned.  He felt that Rogue's budding painting skills needed room to develop, not oppressive 'instruction.' 

"Well, we'll find that out," Rogue replied cheerily.  "I've got another few hours to work on it and study for the exam, so I'd better get back to it."  She shot a soft parting glance at Logan.  "I'll be up if anybody wants me.  Good night, guys."

As soon as she had departed, the mood of the room shifted.  Logan's brows were drawn together in thought, as were Scott's, but Hank was the first to speak.  "Jean, she has the talent to be a great artist one day.  She needs some encouragement."

"She needs discipline, Hank, and constructive criticism.  Which, I might add, she also needs to learn to take gracefully.  She takes any comments that are even remotely negative very personally.  She can't walk through life expecting everyone to always greet her work with uncritical admiration."  Jean waved her hands to punctuate the point.

"But," Hank continued, "I saw the work she'd painted.  It was-Jean, it was approaching the level of a professional artist's work, if not there already.  And her subjects are always extremely personal to her-it's no small wonder she took negative comments to heart."

"I offered *constructive* criticism, to try to make her work better.  I'm trying to help her develop.  If she's seriously considering a professional career in art, she'd better get used to people evaluating her work with a critical eye, and the sooner she does, the better."  Jean's voice was soft but firm.  "Honestly, you all pamper her too much.  I know her mutation is severe and horrible, but still-you all give her a very easy time of it in your classes because of that, and that's not going to help her in the long run.  If she's not prepared to take a little constructive criticism of her work, she shouldn't make it public."

Scott let out another sigh.  "Jean, you know she's pretty sensitive.  Especially about her art.  I know you're trying to help, but  - "

"She's overly-sensitive, Scott," Jean gently corrected.  "All I said was that I felt the tone and color scheme of the painting could've been done better.  I said that I felt the subject matter she'd chosen wasn't that compelling.  Scott, I *was* being gentle.  I couldn't even tell what the painting was supposed to be.  I know she favors abstraction, but-"

"But, Jean," Hank interrupted.  It was very unlike him to do so, and it caught everyone's attention, even Logan's.  "She titled the painting."

"She titled it 'Statue,' Hank.  How am I supposed to know what statue it is?  And any statue, even done abstractly, isn't *red*.  The color scheme-"

"It's blood." Logan interrupted, and, like Hank, held everyone's attention with his comment.  "I bet it's the Statue of Liberty.  That night Magneto got her." 

Ororo let out a soft sigh.  "Oh, my."

"But how would she know what to paint?  I mean, she was unconscious for the end of it and she said she doesn't remember much about that night." 

"Either she remembers more than she's willing to let on," Hank ventured in reply to Jean's question, "or she remembers it through Logan's eyes.  He touched her *after* most of the events occurred.  She probably has memories of his experience of that night."  Logan frowned at that.

"She must've been using the painting to work her way through some of that."  Scott leaned forward a little, having hit upon an important point.  "She's been so reluctant to open up about that whole subject and when she does, we totally miss it-crap!"

"Language, Scooter." 

Scott shot Logan a dark look.  "Jean, I think you should talk to her."

"And say what?  Apologize?  Scott, I understand why  - if that's indeed what she was trying to paint-I understand why she'd be even more sensitive than usual, but I stand by my assessment of the painting."

"Whaddya know about paintin' anyhow, Jeannie?  I thought you were a doctor."

"I minored in Art History and Criticism in college.  I studied all kinds of art for four years, Logan."

"Ya ever paint somethin' yourself?"

"Well, no," Jean demurred, "but you don't need to be a painter to know what good art is.  I'm very well versed in the subject."

"Hmph."  Logan crossed his arms and leaned back.

"What?"

"It ain't even really about the paintin', is it?  You've been ridin' her every second she was down here-little comments about her swearin', her studyin', her weight-you got some kinda problem with her, dontcha?"

"I don't know what you're talking about.  I'm trying to look out for her, to give her some guidance.  Somebody needs to give the girl a firm hand.  You all let her run rampant.  When she's older, she'll appreciate that someone was willing to provide a little discipline."  Logan's gaze narrowed, and Jean squirmed in her seat a little.  "Honestly, Logan, what kind of problem would I have with Rogue?  She's a sweet girl, and I feel sorry for her."

"Feel sorry for her?" Logan snorted.  "What the hell for?"

"Well, her mutation, obviously.  She'll never be able to live a normal life.  It's too dangerous for her to be out in the general public, she'll never have a husband or boyfriend, she-"

"I suspect that Remy might argue with you on that last point," Ororo added, with a hint of mirth in her voice.  "And Bobby.  And St. John.  And-"

"Those are romantic teenage crushes, 'Ro.  They feel sorry for her, so they give her attention.  They're not going to put up with her mutation in the long run.  You know it and so do I."  Jean's voice was soft, sympathetic.  "They're just kids.  When they want to settle down, build a life, have children, their choice won't be Rogue."

"Do you honestly believe that?" Hank asked softly.

"Of course.  I-I don't mean to be cruel, but that's how people are.  She leads a sheltered life here. It's-it's different for her here."

"And what about me?" Hank asked again, even more quietly.  "The same could easily be said for me, because of my mutation - that I shall never have a normal life, never find a partner, that I lead a sheltered life here.  Those things-they could be said for almost all of us, Jean."

"Not-not-I didn't mean to offend you, Hank, I-" Jean was at a loss for words.  She and Hank had been close for a long time, and she didn't mean for her words to be construed that way. 

"So you're sayin' what, then?" Logan queried, in what for him was an even tone.  "That she's some kinda freak worse than the rest of us freaks?  You wanna hear somethin' honest?  Outta all of us in this room, maybe you and me can pass.  'Ro-her hair and eyes are a dead giveaway.  Hank-he's covered in fur for christsakes.  Scooter-he'd be blastin' a hole in the wall right now if not for those glasses.  You and me-we're different, though, is that what you're sayin'?  We can pass for normal so we're better?"

"No.  No.  You're putting words in my mouth.  That's not fair.  That's not what I'm saying at all."

"Well, what then, Jeannie?"

"I-I'm saying that Rogue is in a difficult situation, moreso than the rest of us.  She-the consequences of her mutation are severe.  It virtually guarantees her isolation because she can actually *kill* other people with it, and with very little effort.  The slightest mistake, the briefest moment of inattention on her part would end the life of a boyfriend or-or partner.  She can't even control her mutation, not at all.  She-"

"Could say the same for your man there, Jeannie."  Logan gestured to Scott absently.  "You still got with him."  Scott looked to her expectantly. 

"But Scott can control his mutation with use of the glasses.  He's not dangerous.  He's not mentally or emotionally unstable because of other personalities in his head.  He's-"

"Jean," Hank interrupted again.  Jean sighed.  She'd been interrupted a record number of times tonight and she wasn't enjoying feeling as though she were on the defensive.  "Is it your clinical, medical opinion that she is mentally ill?"

"Would you all quit putting words in my mouth?  I didn't say that.  I said unstable.  And she is-you've all seen it.  She growls, she gets the exact same expression on her face that Magneto has sometimes.  She's not one hundred percent in control up there.  That's all I'm saying.  And she *has* emotional issues.  She won't talk to anybody about what happened.  She never really bonds with any of the kids.  For goodness sakes, she won't even tell us her real name.  She's rebellious and-and defiant at times."

"What times?"  'Ro turned to face Jean squarely.  "She is probably the most responsible of the students." 

"She-she-well, it's her attitude.  She refuses to take direction, to listen to the guidance I'm trying to give her in class, for example."

"She's up there doin' another whole paintin' 'cause you said you didn't like the first one.  She's up there doin' that right now insteada sleepin'.  Whaddya call that?"

"She's redoing it because she wants a better grade, Logan.  She knows that painting wouldn't have received a high mark."

Logan snorted and shook his head.  "You just don't like her, Jeannie.  That's why nothin' she does is right and why you're so into givin' her 'guidance' and 'discipline' and shit.  'Cause it gives you a chance to ride her down some without havin' to feel like you're doin' wrong."

"I can't believe you think I'm actually that kind of person, Logan."  Jean was fully indignant now.  That was the last straw.  She'd had enough of being criticized and analyzed and put-upon when she was only trying to help Rogue, to make her better.

"I can't believe you *are* that kinda person.  'Specially towards her.  What'd she ever do to you, huh?"

Jean waved her hand dismissively.  "You have a blind spot where she's concerned, Logan. You can't see her flaws."

"Shit, Jeannie, everybody has flaws.  Even you."  Logan's gaze had turned hard and his body had stiffened as well.  'Ro reflected that he looked just like he did when he was getting ready for a fight.  He probably is, she thought.

"I never said I was perfect.  I never said I was flawless.  I'm just trying to do my best to help the girl."

"And we're just tryin' to help ya, Jeannie, just givin' you some guidance and some-what'd you call it?-yeah, constructive criticism to help you out there.  Don't tell me you can dish it out but ya can't take it?"  Jean huffed at that and her eyes flared. 

"I've had enough.  I'm going to bed.  Scott."  She rose and gestured for him to follow.

"I'll be up in a minute, Jean."  She looked at him with an expression that betrayed her shock and disbelief, but quickly covered that and turned to go.  When she was gone, Scott leaned in toward his fellow x-men and spoke conspiratorially.

"It's been a problem for some time.  I don't know what's going on between them.  At first, I thought it was on Rogue's end-jealousy over Logan, to be blunt.  But I don't think that's it."

"What do you believe it is?" 'Ro leaned forward too, mimicking Scott's posture.

"I don't know.  I don't think Jean even really knows.  Maybe it's just some kind of oil and water thing.  Maybe their personalities just clash, I don't know.  But it can't go on like this.  Sure, once the finals are finished tomorrow, some of it will ease up, but still.This whole painting thing and all the comments Jean's made about her weight and appearance-I think it's really beginning to get to Rogue."  Scott paused and they were all lost to their own thoughts for a moment before he continued.  "Even if-even if what Logan said is right-even if we are the 'freaks'-I don't want Rogue to feel that way.  I don't want any of our kids to feel that way.  Even if it's true."

"Ain't true.  Shit, Rogue's probably the most normal person I know.  The rest of ya are close seconds."  Logan arched an eyebrow and looked directly at Scott.  "'Cept for you.  You're fucked up, but that don't have nothin' to do with your mutation or shit."  Scott actually smirked at that while Logan sat back in his chair and ran a hand over his face.  "I'm gonna go up and talk to her.  Somebody should try talkin' to Jeannie-not me, she's pissin' me off."

"I will try tomorrow," 'Ro offered. 

"And I shall make it a point to visit with Rogue tomorrow after she submits her painting to Jean," Hank chimed in.  "Not to toot my own horn, fellow x-men, but I know that Rogue values and respects my opinion of her work.  I am no Art History minor, but I do know a bit about the subject."  Hank had been hurt by Jean's words and behavior, probably more than he would ever let on.  He agreed with Scott-even if they were freaks, he didn't want to feel that way.  And Rogue was one of the few people that didn't make him feel that way when he was in her company.  She made him feel smart, and talented, and funny, and absolutely normal.  He could at least return the favor.

"Sounds like a plan.  When does Chuck get back from London?"

"Not for another week.  Maybe he can talk to them both when he does get back."  Scott had a lot of faith that the Professor would know just how to handle the situation.  Once it was brought to his attention, he would surely be able to fix the problem.

"Might not be here by then."  Logan sniffed and rose from his chair. 

"Logan, do you really think it's wise to leave Rogue at this critical juncture?" 'Ro rose as well, and so did Scott. 

"No," Logan answered, surprised.  "'Course not."

"Well, then what did you mean by saying that you might not be here when the Professor comes back?" Hank asked. 

"I said *we* might not be here when he gets back." 

"That's not precisely what you said," Hank sighed. I really wish he would use a pronoun once in a while. 

"What?  You thought I'd pick up and go?  Nah.  I've been thinkin' about her and me takin' a trip together, spendin' some time away from here after she's done with school.  You know, if she wants to."  The rest of the x-men looked at him with amusement.  He really did have a soft spot for Rogue.  "Besides, I'm not that big of an asshole."

"Oh, don't sell yourself short.  I think you are."  Scott clapped Logan on the back as he left the kitchen.  Logan answered with a soft growl before heading upstairs.





"Hey, am I interruptin' ya?"  Logan had smelled her out-although the scent of the paint had masked Marie's own scent for the most part, he figured she would be near the paint smells. 

"No, not at all."  She'd changed from what she was wearing downstairs, having replaced a bulky sweatshirt and gloves with a tank top and bare hands.  Tight leggings and socks remained.  Looking at her form now, Logan thought that 'Ro's assessment had been correct.  She used to be a little on the bony side, with a stomach that sank beneath her hip bones.  Now, she'd filled out nicely, with fuller breasts and a little rounded tummy.  Curvy legs instead of scrawny ones.  Curvy hips too.  As a matter of fact-"I was hoping you'd come up.  I figured you'd find me."

"Yeah."  Stop checkin' out her body, asshole.  You're supposedta be helpin' her or makin' her feel better emotionally or some shit.  You just forget that she's eighteen now for a few minutes, all right, dickehad? Logan trained his eyes resolutely on her face. 

"How did the mission debrief go?"

"Uh, it wasn't really a debrief.  We weren't really talkin' about the mission."  He crossed the room to stand behind her as she resumed painting.  Looking over her shoulder, he couldn't make out what this one was supposed to be.

"Oh Lord, you were talking about me, weren't you?  What was it this time, my inferior academic performance?  My inappropriate snacking habits?  My stubborn refusal to dye the white streaks in my hair to match the rest of it?"  This wasn't good-Logan didn't like that she'd guess at all that.  It meant that she'd been feeling the effects of this-whatever was going on-for a while now. 

"Some of that.  I, uh, came up here to tell you that all of that's bullshit, ya know."

"I knew you'd say that," Rogue grinned over her shoulder.  Logan's heart skipped a beat at that.  Shit.  I'm in some deep shit here.  This ain't gonna be easy, keepin' my eyes on her face, not touchin' her.  Shit.

"Well, it's true.  You, ah, you're good at the art stuff.  Hank said so."

"Hank's biased.  I painted a piece for his lab as a gift.  Plus, he's been a good friend, so he has to say nice things."

"What's this one?"  Logan gestured to the painting she was working on and moved a step closer.  He noticed for the first time that there were several paintings strewn about the room.  Almost a dozen, he guessed. 

"I'm trying for a more traditional subject and a more traditional style," Marie explained, resting her brush on the palette momentarily and pursing her lips.  "It's supposed to be the window in this room.  But I guess it's not turning out so well if you can't really tell that.  Crap."

"Language," Logan teased and took another step closer to her, almost unconsciously placing his bare hands on her legging-covered hips.  "Don't go by me, kid, I dunno shit about art and I never painted a thing in my life."

"Yeah, but it's supposed to be realistic.  You're supposed to be able to recognize the window.  OK, I still went a *tad* astray from that with my characterization of the curtains, but still."  She didn't seem to notice his hands on her. 

"Where's the other one you did?  The statue one?" 

Marie sighed and didn't turn around.  "Do you really want to see it?  It's not very good.  I kind of hate having done a poor job of something that's so..well, so deep with you, with both of us.  I hate sucking like that," she joked.

"Hank said it was real good.  And he wasn't bullshittin' or bein' nice.  Let's see it."  He leaned in to her and kissed the top of her head gently to reinforce his words.  She didn't react much to that either, but she was wearing a bright smile when she carefully turned to face him. 

"OK, but remember-you asked for it."  She moved out of his grasp to retrieve a painting that had been leaned up against the wall, facing it.  She held it up in front of her-it was a large painting and Logan could only see above her chin and below her knees sticking out from behind the canvas.  As soon as he saw it, he let out an involuntary gasp.  "See?  Not so good."

"Kid," he began, spellbound by the painting, "I dunno anythin' about art, but-"

"But you can still tell this one's bad, right?  Crap.  I don't know what I did wrong with this one, I just-"

"Nah.  I was gonna say I dunno anythin' about art, but this has gotta be it.  It's art, right there.  It's-it feels.true.  That's-if you went into my head and pulled out everythin' I was feelin' that night, then made a picture of it, this would be it.  This would be exactly it.  Shit, how'd you do that?"  The painting was a mass of color with no discernable, recognizable shapes or objects.  It was midnight blue with dots of bright white at the top, then swirling silver.  About a quarter of the way down the canvas, it blackened, then slowly changed to red.  It was him being flown over the statue to save her, dropping down over the machine.  The black was for when he'd thought he wasn't going to be able to save her, and the red was blood and life-his blood for her life. Holy shit.  She got that, dead on.

"Really?" she asked in an excited tone of voice.  "Because I tried really hard to get it just right."

"You did."  Logan finally tore his eyes away from the painting to look at her beaming face.  He couldn't prevent an answering smile from creeping across his features. 

"Thanks.  I'm really glad you like it-even if nobody else does, it means the most to me that you like it.  It's your-our-memories."  Marie slowly set the painting down, this time with the finished side facing the room instead of the wall.  She moved to stand beside him, so they could look at the painting together.  "I guess it's not, you know, a professional piece, but it means a lot to me.  It's actually one of my personal favorites.  Do you see the statue?" 

Logan looked at the painting again.  "Where is it?"

"Look-look at it as a whole-you won't see it if you just look at each of the colors.  Don't get distracted by the colors."  He did as she instructed and found it-a somewhat distorted, almost melting portrait of the statue's head and hand upholding the torch.  It was hard to see because she hadn't painted any lines-she'd made the shape with only brushstrokes, very subtly, and the colors changed with the rest of the painting, further obscuring the shape.  But it was there.  It was there if you knew to look for it.  In fact, at the very top-those spots of bright white amidst the midnight blue-stars, Logan realized-made up the top part of the torch.

"I got it.  That's-that's *impressive*.  That's amazin'."  He looked over to her, and found her to be grinning widely.  "You're seriously good at this shit, Marie."

"You know," she said, still smiling, "I haven't had anybody call me that in a while.  Not in person.  It was always nice to hear it when you'd call me from the road, but there's something about hearing it in person that I missed."

"I missed you too."  I don't think I ever made a phone call or wrote a postcard to anybody in my whole life except for you, kid. Logan gingerly put an arm around her, resting his hand on her hip and tugging her a little closer to him. 

"Logan, I'm-I'm finished with school after tomorrow.  I mean, there's the graduation ceremony, but I'm finished after tomorrow.  Well, assuming I don't fail anything, that is.  But-but what were you thinking of doing after that?  Did you have something in mind?"

Shit, she probably knows exactly what I got in mind.  She has me in her head enough to get all of this and put it down into a paintin'.  Might as well fess up.  "I was thinkin' we'd take off, at least for a while.  You know, maybe head up north.  Summer's a good time to see Alaska if you still wanna."

"I'd like that."  Her smile had turned shy.  "I'd like for us to spend some time together, uh, getting to know each other.  You know, in a non-life-or-death kind of setting."

"Yeah."  He gave a (mostly) friendly squeeze to her hip, then let her go.  "I'll let ya get back to paintin'.  Come find me tomorrow when you're all done and we'll sort out what we're gonna do and where we're gonna go."

"OK."  She was about to turn back to her canvas when Logan stopped her with a gentle arm to her shoulder. 

"Marie?  I dunno what Jeannie's problem is, with the paintin' or the other stuff, but I do know it's her problem, not yours, kid.  Got that?"  She nodded dutifully but a new warmth reached her eyes.  "See ya tomorrow."  Logan gave her one last look, and a wink, then headed for his own room and some much-needed sleep.





"Hey there."  Scott expected this reaction from Jean-she was already in bed and pretending to be asleep.  "I know you're awake.  Want to talk?"

"Gee, no thanks.  I think I've had enough public chastisement today."  She was laying on her side, facing away from him and she hadn't changed her position to respond.

"Jean," he soothed, "come on, let's talk.  I'm on your side.  Come on."  He moved to sit on the bed beside her and gently turned her by the shoulder until she faced him.  "There's something going on with you, and I think we should talk.  Come on."

"There's nothing going on with me.  I don't know why everybody blames me.  Nobody thinks it's Rogue's fault at all, do they?"

"No," Scott reasoned, "they don't.  Because she's still a student and you're an adult.  Do you want to talk about blame or do you want to talk about what's really going on."

"Why don't you tell me your theory, Scott?  You must have one, right?  Go ahead."  She's still smarting from the discussion in the kitchen.  This won't be easy.

"I think that Rogue rubs you the wrong way.  I think that makes you act a little differently toward her than the other students.  I don't know why that is and I was hoping we could talk about it."  He reached out to her, gently rubbing her arm, and was glad that she didn't resist that gesture.

"Maybe I'm just a bitch," Jean said tiredly. 

"No, you're not.  You're a wonderful, caring woman.  I know that.  That's why I love you.  And that's why I don't understand what's happening between you and Rogue."  He continued rubbing her arm, straying occasionally to her shoulder. 

Jean let out a long sigh.  "I don't know either, Scott.  Maybe she just does rub me the wrong way.  It's just that she's so-everybody just loves her.  Automatically.  Just like that.  Completely and totally.  It's not fair.  And I know that sounds petty and childish, but if I'm really honest with myself, that's what I think it is.  It's just-how can it be that easy for her?"  She rolled to her side to face Scott.  "I know it's awful of me to think that way.  I know it is.  But everything-people, the painting, finding Logan-Scott, he knows her for a few hours then fights to save her life, risks his own life for her, just like that.  Do you know how *hard* I had to work to turn myself into someone that people could love?  Into someone special?  I went to medical school for *years* to become a doctor.  She paints like an advanced grad student in her senior year of high school.  She's-she's got this horrible, scary mutation, but people don't mind it at all!  Me, I was always Crazy Jean, the girl who heard voices in her head.  I struggled so hard for control, Scott, so hard, but she just-she just-poof!-she somehow magically balances all those people in her head, no effort required.  It's not fair.  All the things that I had to work for just get handed to her and it's just *wrong* that it's so easy for her.  And I'm right-it's not always going to be that way, not out in the real world.  Maybe-maybe she did hitchhike for eight months with no problems and maybe she did get lucky by finding Logan, but it can't always work out like that.  And I know what it feels like when it doesn't.  That's all I'm really trying to do, Scott, to make her stop taking everything she has for granted, to make her realize it's not all sunshine and not everybody is out there just waiting to greet her with open arms.  That's all.  It's not like I'm trying to destroy her life or anything.  God.."

Scott laid a gentle kiss on Jean's cheek.  "Honey, do you know that everything you just said-that's how a lot of people see you?  And I'd be willing to place a bet that Rogue sees you that way too.  Jean, who controls her mutation without effort, Jean who looks beautiful and perfect and poised every minute of the day, Jean who just popped out of medical school and became a brilliant doctor, just like that."  Jean pursed her lips at Scott, not really believing the words.  "They think of you as Jean, brave x-man.  They think of you as Jean, the woman with the really cute husband."  She didn't laugh but her lips did relax and turn upward at the corners for a moment.  "Nobody really knows the whole story. Nobody really sees all the effort, all the work, all the trials and tribulations.  They just see you from the outside.  Maybe that's true for Rogue too.  Maybe it's not just that easy for her."

"It is, though, Scott, for some things at least.  The painting-do you know what she could accomplish if she'd just *work* at it a little?"

"I hear what you're saying, honey, I do.  But remember that it's *not* all easy for her.  She was almost killed twice in a very short period of time-first by Logan, then by Magneto.  She had both of them forced into her head.  Her family kicked her out and she had to live on her own for months before we found her.  She had to live hand to mouth.  She's still plagued with nightmares, and some of them aren't even her own.  She doesn't really fit in with the other kids her age-they all like her, yes, but they're not really true friends for her.  She's had to deal with a lot of things at a very young age.  And she's in love with a weirdo."  Jean did laugh a little at that.  "Honey, I know you don't mean to hurt her, but you kind of are.  And it can't go on this way, because it's hurting both of you.  And I hate to see you hurting."

"Do you think I should talk to her?"

Scott sighed, considering it.  "I think if you try to change a little toward her, she'll respond.  I don't think a big talk is really her style.  She does have Logan in there with her, after all." 

Jean's expression warmed, and she gave out a long sigh.  "Thanks."

"For what?" 

Jean smiled as she reached to turn off the bedside light.  "For not thinking I'm a bitch.  For being understanding."

"That's why all the girls envy you, right there.  You've got a fabulous man."  He leaned into her as the room turned dark.

"I sure do," she purred.





"Hello," Rogue greeted Jean amicably at the door of the small room that served as her painting studio.  She'd finished the calc exam about a half hour ago, and felt reasonably good about it.  Rogue felt much less good about this.  But she had stayed up the night painting, so she hoped that there would be something that Jean would like in the new piece. 

"Hello, Rogue.  How are you?"  Rogue blinked in surprise at that, but recovered quickly.

"Fine.  And I'm done painting.  Would you like to see it?"

Jean smiled with a warmth she didn't quite feel and let Rogue lead her to the painting displayed on the easel in the corner of the room.  "Oh," she commented upon seeing the painting. 

Rogue let out an almost inaudible sigh and her shoulders dropped.  She could already tell that Jean didn't like it.  "It's, uh, the window, there."

"Yes, yes I can tell that."  Rogue frowned while Jean continued to look at the painting appraisingly.  "Rogue, this isn't what I was expecting.  It's not your usual style."

"I, uh, thought you wanted something not my usual style."

"Is that what I said?"  It came out sharply, and Jean took a deep breath and caught herself.  "I mean, that's not what I meant.  I just meant that you needed to reflect upon your style, improve it a little, that's all.  I didn't mean to say I didn't like your style."  Rogue didn't respond, she just frowned a little and waited for Jean to pass judgment on the painting.

Jean turned back to it.  It was awful, just awful.  What a pedantic, pedestrian, perfectly *common* piece of crap.  It could be hanging above a bed at a Motel Six, it's so awful.  I wonder if she did this as some kind of jab at me, as some defiant little display.  I know she's not actually this bad. "Do you want me to grade this one?  Isn't there something else you'd rather submit as a final project?  I'd-I'd be open to that."  There.  That was nice of me.

"Um, none of the other ones are really any better, I guess.  I-I don't know what you like."

"It's not about what I like, Rogue, it's about what's good art.  This isn't good art.  It's not even in the same neighborhood as good art." 

"Well, the rest of these all live in the same neighborhood as that one, so you might as well go ahead and grade it."  See?  That's what I mean by defiant.  I'm trying to give her a chance here, and she's too stubborn to take it.

"Uh, no, Rogue.  No, they don't.  Look, just pick another piece, any one of them would be better than this."

Rogue finally met Jean's gaze and her eyes were hard.  "No.  This is my final project.  Grade this one."

"You really are being stubborn for no reason.  I'm trying to help you.  I'm bending over backward to be fair here, Rogue.  You've done better work."

Rogue shook her head slowly.  "This is my final project," she repeated.  "Go ahead and grade it, Dr. Grey."  She straightened and squared her shoulders, bracing for Jean's assessment.

"Fine, then."  Jean took another look at the piece.  "I'm going to have to give it a D." 
And that's generous, given your total failure to do anything even remotely interesting here.

Rogue nodded once and looked at the floor again, eyes stinging with tears.  "That makes my final grade a C then?  I got mostly Bs and Cs during the semester."

C minus.  No, no, I promised Scott that I'd try.  And he's right, I'm the adult, I have to be mature even when she's acting like a child.  "Right.  You know, you have a lot of talent, Rogue.  You have a lot of potential.  Your grades don't reflect that because you don't put enough effort into your work."

"It's just-it's just for fun, for a release.  I don't want to work hard on it." 

God!  Do you know that people would give an arm and a leg to have that kind of talent?  To have the chance to develop it, to work at it?  "Well, there you have it, then.  Have a good day."  Jean left without looking back at Rogue.  Her cheeks burned with anger at the girl's attitude, but she thought overall, she'd handled it well.  Or at least better than usual. 





Hank entered Rogue's Studio (they'd dubbed it that during a late-night twinkie binge) to find her sitting indian-style on the floor, crying.  "Oh my.  Are you all right?"

Rogue nodded and waved for Hank to come in.  He entered and closed the door behind him.  "I'm fine.  I'm just upset about the painting."  She waved to the piece Jean had graded and Hank went over to take a look at it. 

"It's, ah, very, ah.it's actually quite..it's, ah, particularly.."

"Bad," Rogue finished for him.  "I know it is, but I thought it would be what she wanted.  I tried to make something she'd like, and she gave it a D.  A- a D, Hank!  I am a below average artist."

Hank turned to her and weighed whether to hug her or not.  She was very sensitive about being touched but she generally didn't seem to mind Hank.  He decided that a hug was indeed a good idea when he saw her shoulders shake with a fresh sob.  He sat beside her and gathered her in.  "Now, now, that's not at all true.  This particular piece, well, on the scale of Rogue-art, it is rather low.  But you are certainly a much better than average artist."

"I don't know, maybe Jean's right, maybe I need work.  I'm not good enough or something, and even if it's just for fun, even if I don't end up doing it for a living, maybe I have no business sucking this much."

"You do not suck in the least."  She let out a small laugh at the solemnity with which he said that.  "You are the antithesis of suck.  Plus, it is your talent, Rogue.  It is your talent to develop as you wish, as much or as little as you wish.  God has given it to you, and you must decide what you wish to do with it, not anyone else."

"But you think I should work at it more, take it all more seriously."

"I think that would be beneficial if your goal is to work professionally, yes.  Is that what you want?"

"Honestly?  I don't know.  What the heck do I know?  Everybody keeps reminding me that I'm just eighteen, and I don't really know what I want, and they're right.  When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a race car driver.  I drove the fastest Big Wheels in the neighborhood."  Hank chuckled at that.  "But that changed and maybe so will this. And I just don't want to work on it if working on it consists of working on it with Jean.  She's never said one single good thing about any of the paintings I've done.  Oh, sure, she says I have talent, but that's just so she can criticize me for not using it like she wants.  I hate that.  Maybe it's stupid or wimpy or childish, but I hate hearing how everything I do isn't good enough all the time."

"Well, no one likes that.  And I don't believe that you need to retain Jean as a teacher or mentor if that isn't working for you.  You have the option of finding someone more harmonious with you or working on your own.  There are many examples of successful and respected artists who've taken both approaches.  You'll figure it all out, I am confident you will."

Rogue sniffled and raised her head from Hank's shoulder to look at him.  "Thanks.  You're a good friend.  Thanks for indulging my little temper tantrum."

"If you really wish to thank me, I'll take another painting."  He smiled at her warmly, and gave her a squeeze before letting her go and helping her to her feet.

"I would love to," Rogue answered.  "But it's not going to be a window, OK?"  They both laughed at that, and Hank knew he'd made her feel at least a little better.





"Ummm, those jeans can stay.  They, uh, don't really fit anymore."  Marie blushed as she laid the jeans aside.  "You probably noticed I gained a little weight."  She glanced shyly at Logan, who sat propped up against her headboard, watching her pack for their departure tomorrow. 

"Yeah, I did notice.  Looks good on ya.  You were a starvin' little thing when you hopped in with me."

"Well, thanks, but I gained twenty pounds.  I think I kind of overdid it."  She patted her round tummy.  "Maybe some sit-ups.."

"Look, I'm, uh, not really good at this kinda thing, but I'm tellin' ya, you look good." 
Luscious breasts, a real nice ass-don't wanna lose those.  And that tummy's cute. 

"You have to say that.  It's, like, against the rules to call your girlfriend fat, even if she is."  She smiled when she said it and turned back to the closet then caught herself and whipped back around, mortified.  "Did I say girlfriend?  I, uh, I meant-I meant something else.  Something else completely.  Just ignore that." 

"I don't think of you as my girlfriend.  I think of you as my Marie.  You know-the whole package.  Friend, uh, girl, partner, ah, person-you-protect, woman, you know, the whole deal."  It was Logan's turn to look a little embarrassed. 

"Yeah?"  Logan nodded, relieved that she seemed to have caught his meaning.  "You know, that's what the you in my head always thinks too."

"Well, that would make sense." 

"They you up there likes the, uh, extra weight too.  Bigger boobs."  She said it facing away from him so that he wouldn't see the blush creeping up her cheeks or the playful grin on her face. 

"I'm, uh, not too weird up there, am I?"  Shit, I probably do a little dance or somethin' every time she gets naked.

"No, no.  You're actually.you're actually pretty sweet.  Every time I look in the mirror and, you know, think something bad about myself or how I look, you, ah, tend to counteract that."  Sometimes with *very* vivid mental images.

"Good.  Well, good."  Marie finally turned over her shoulder to give him a reassuring smile. 

"So, what else will I need?  I think I've got the clothes pretty much covered."

"Are you takin' stuff for paintin'?"  He'd heard the Story of the Art Final, first from Marie, then Jeannie.  Weird how Jeannie always thinks the worst of Marie-thinkin' she did that bad paintin' just to get a reaction outta her.  Shit, I understand why Marie got her back up and told Jeannie to grade that one, given the shit Jeannie said.  It's a good thing to get Marie outta here for a while.

"I don't know.  I don't know if I want to do that anymore."  Marie plopped down on the bed beside Logan.  "Maybe I should just let it go, you know.  I'm not sure I want to really work at it and, you know, agonize over every piece.  I started out painting for fun, and it hasn't been fun for a while."

Logan put an arm around her, drawing her close.  "Whatever you think.  Could just take some stuff along just in case.  And even if you don't wanna, you know, sell 'em or somethin', I like lookin' at 'em.  I wouldn't mind you makin' some more."

"I said I'd do another one for Hank, and I guess it wouldn't hurt to just bring a few things along if you don't mind."

"Good."  He gave her a little squeeze.  "I think that's it then, we're good to go."

She snuggled down further into his embrace.  "Alaska, here we come."





Hank received the package postmarked Vancouver about a month after Logan and Rogue had departed.  He knew immediately that it was her promised painting and excitedly unwrapped it.  It was blue-a hundred, no, a thousand different shades of blue.  It was a landscape, but not an ordinary one.  The trees, long grass, flowers-they were all blue.  They sky was indigo, the clouds were azure, the moon was a pale cyan.  Hank smiled broadly at the work and opened the note that had accompanied it.

Hank,

Tell me what you think.  This one was definitely just for fun, but I hope you like it.  I call it The World According to Hank and I only wish everything had a little touch of you in it ;)  If you're nice, I might do a "serious" one for you one of these days..

Rogue


This one *was* just for fun, he knew.  She did a technically somewhat-above-average job, but he could almost feel her warmth and brightness right through the work.  That's what will make her a good artist if she does choose to pursue it.  That's what you can't teach-how to put a piece of yourself into your art.  He smiled cheerfully and set out to write a thank you, and a request for that 'serious' painting.

 
Back To The Index   Back To The Archives