Lazy Sunday


Title: Lazy Sunday
Author: Terri
E-mail: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG-13
Archive: Dolphin Haven, Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask ;)
Feedback: Please!  Pretty please!  Good, bad, and ugly welcome.......
Summary: Marie's Lazy Sunday goes off-track.
Comments: Just a little fooflet that demanded to be written before I embarked on another epic- length fic ;) A tiny, little AssertiveSensibleMarie bunny bit me on the ankle before I could get away for vacation......

----------------------------------------------------------


Marie came down to the kitchen around eleven.  Sundays were always lazy days for her, and usually for Logan.  He'd been up and out of bed near dawn today, though, and while she wondered what had gotten him moving so early, she didn't wonder enough to actually get up with him and find out.  She supposed that since he was now sweating, panting, and stripped to the waist as he stood before the open fridge in the kitchen, chugging down water from the pitcher without benefit of a glass, he'd been working out in the wee hours. 

"Hey, sugar," she greeted, startling him into a spit-take.  That was unusual too, very.  She could almost never sneak up on him, not even when she was trying.   "Logan, you OK?"

"Yeah, yeah," he replied distractedly, putting the pitcher back and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.  "You up already?"

"Uh-huh.  It's past eleven."  She took a few cautious steps toward him.  He was radiating jumpiness from every pore.  Workouts usually spent the energy, calmed him down.  Hmmm....  "Were you in the danger room?"

"Yeah.  Got a - a little practice in early.  You know, gotta keep on my toes."

"I thought keeping you on your toes was my job, sugar," she teased, closing the distance between them to mere inches.  It put a very odd look on Logan's face - almost like he wanted to simultaneously take off running and ravish Marie all at the same time.  Marie - well, she liked the latter half of the equation, but was befuddled by the former.  "Logan, what's going on with you?  You're all - all weird."

"Heh.  Yeah.  Just woke up kinda already goin, already revvin', you know."

Marie pinned him with her eyes as her nose crinkled up.  "OK, now you're really freaking me out.  What's going on with you?"

"Nothin'.  Nothin'."


"Logan........."

"It's nothin', really."

"You can't bullshit me, mister.  Don't even try."

He let out a sigh and slumped back against the refrigerator. After running a hand through his sweat-soaked hair, he answered. "You know how you've been workin' on controlin' your mutation real hard for the past coupla months?"

"Yeah," Marie answered slowly.  She didn't think he'd lost patience with her, or was becoming frustrated by the lengths they always had to go to get around her skin, but his dour expression was worrisome.  "And?"

"And, well, somethin' happened."

"What?  What happened?"  And how could I not know about it? Marie thought. 

"This mornin', when I woke up, I was - well, I was touchin' ya."  He gave an apologetic shrug and couldn't quite hide the wince that accompanied it. 

"Did I hurt you?" Marie asked softly.  Accidental touches had happened before - but she or Logan, and usually both, had always woken immediately and pulled away before the pull got too strong. 

"No.  No.  You didn't hurt me at all.  Your skin - it wasn't on."

"Oh," Marie sighed.  It was welcome news on one level, but she held back her inner celebrations because that kind of good news shouldn't have freaked Logan out.  "Well, um, good.  I mean, I guess that's progress and that's good."

"Whatever you did last night, before we fell asleep - it worked, darlin'."  Now he was wearing a sad smile and she could've sworn his eyes got glassy there for a moment.  "You got it down now."

"Well, I don't know about that.  I mean, I can try it again and see if it works again, but it's a good beginning, I guess.  It's the most progress I've had since I absorbed Sabretooth."  Marie immediately tried to push recollections of that battle out of her mind.  It had given her the ability to 'pull the switch,' as she thought of it, for a few seconds, but literally only that.  It had been borne out of panic and necessity - she had been desperate not to absorb Sabretooth's twisted psyche.  In the end, though, she couldn't hold him off for long, and she wound up killing him and absorbing him permanently.  It was her worst nightmare come to life, and she cursed her inability to hold her ravenous skin off for more than five seconds or so.  Afterward, she'd had to spend long weeks in therapy with the Professor to help her deal with the new and very unpleasant resident in her mind.  But now, she was grateful, on balance, for that small measure of control over her unruly mutation - Lord knows she and Logan had made some very creative uses of it.  Still, she wanted more, and that had been the object of her recent sessions with the Professor, to try to 'pull the switch' at will, and for longer periods of time. 

"Yeah."  Logan's soft answer brought her back to the present.  "So, ah, there you go, then.  Touchin'.  You've got it licked." 

"And yet you're not happy about that," Marie countered softly, with a quizzical tilt of her head. 

"I am," Logan reassured, reaching out to touch her shoulders.  "I'm so happy for ya, darlin'.  You're gonna have everythin' you ever wanted now, baby."

"I have pretty much everything I ever wanted already.  I have you."  That earned her another wince and a shrug, and something clicked into place in her mind.  "Is that what you think?  That as soon as I could touch I'd ditch you or something?"  When he didn't answer, she sputtered out, "Are you nuts?"

"Open question, darlin'," he responded, letting her go and backing away a bit. 

"You can't be serious, Logan.  Do you not - do you not believe me when I tell you how much I love you?"

"'Course I do, darlin'.  'Course.  But I know that things - well, things change.  Maybe you and me - maybe we were right for one another before, and God knows I'll always be grateful for the time you gave me, but I think we both know that you - you could have anyone you wanted, and - "

"Just stop right there," Marie said firmly, holding one hand up to illustrate the words.  "Logan, sugar, I love you with all my heart and soul, but let me tell you something - you can be a damn clueless man sometimes."  Now it was his turn to look a little lost.  "Sugar, I could've had anyone I wanted, anytime.  So could you.  We picked each other.  Do you think that - that I didn't have any other options, anyone else who was ever interested in me but you?" 

Logan's wide-open mouth gave her answer, but he added some verbal annotation.  "B-but you - you never said anythin' about anyone who - who - hey!  Who?  Who was interested?  Did someone make a move on you?  Why didn't you say anythin'?!  I woulda - "

"Knocked them on their ass, or clawed them, or both?" she asked sweetly.  "Yes, I know, sugar, and that's why I never made it a point to share that information.  Even though you're the only one I want to share my bed with, I still like my friends with all their bodily organs intact."

"Was it Remy?" Logan demanded.

"Logan - "


"I've seen how he looks at ya.  Don't think I didn't catch that.  Damn wily Cajun, oughta go kick his ass right now for that."  Feral eyes wandered to the open doorway and Marie watched as his nose twitched, searching for Remy's scent.  She let out a little huff.

"Logan, I'm not interested in Remy.  Or Bobby.  Or John.  Or Hank.  I'm interested in you."  She paused, letting a smile creep across her features.  "You know, the sane, rational you, not the guy who jumped out of my bed at the crack of freaking dawn on a Sunday to go down to the danger room and kill the holograms of everyone who might be looking for a fling with touchable-me."

Logan ducked his head sheepishly, and Marie could've sworn she saw those stubble-strewn cheeks pink with a passing blush.  "Uh, how'd you know that's what I was doin'?"

"Because I know you pretty well, sugar.  And you should know me pretty well by now too."  That last part came out tinted in hurt, and Logan once again closed the space between them to put his hands on her. 

"I do.  I believe it when you say you love me.  I just - it's a lotta good in my life, you know?  And sometimes it's a helluva lot easier on me to tell myself I gotta give the good things up insteada havin' 'em yanked away from me."

"I know," Marie sighed.  "But next time, you know, say something.  Talk to me or something.  Don't get yourself all worked up over it, OK?" 

"I'll try."  Logan kissed her forehead, minding the five-second rule just in case.  "Hey. How 'bout I make you some breakfast, huh?  Eggs, bacon, toast, whatever you want."

"I need coffee first, I think," Marie purred, concentrating just a bit then running a bare finger down the length of Logan's cheek, very slowly.  One second passed, then two, then three - her finger trailed back up and four and five seconds went by and then her finger came back down, still in contact with his skin.   She kept up the touch - six full seconds, seven.  Logan's lips curled into a damn sexy grin - eight seconds, nine - and his hands grabbed for her waist.  At a full ten seconds, he planted a searing kiss onto her bare lips.  Somewhere around thirty seconds, they came up for air. 

"Sit down, darlin'.  Lemme getcha that coffee."

Marie's frantic grab halted his movement.  "Screw the coffee."  She kissed him hard, and passionately. "I've got the touching thing down now," Marie panted, when she came up for air.  "You said I can have anything I want, and I sure as hell don't want coffee."  With a grunt, Logan hefted her over his sweaty, bare shoulder, and carried her wiggling form back up to bed.  Although that episode put an end to 'lazy' Sundays for the both of them, the day still remained one that was always pleasurably spent.

 
Back To The Index   Back To The Archives