Inner-Marie To The Rescue


Title: Inner-Marie to the Rescue
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer:  I don't own any of them.  Poo.
Archive:  WRFA, Dolphin Haven, Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask and I'll happily provide :)
Feedback:  Please?  Pretty please?  The voices in my head would like you to ;)  Good, bad, and ugly welcome.
Summary: Logan gets to host Marie up in his head for a change, and she steps in at a crucial moment in his relationship with real-Marie.
Comments: This is, in case you couldn't tell from the title, just a light little fooflet that sprung from a Keli-bunny asking for a fic where Logan asks Marie for a date.  The 'forgetful' Logan was also influenced by Kristine's excellent No Choice series, and I hope she doesn't mind me borrowing that concept in a small way here :) If she does, I can offer reparations in peeps :) Lastly, I have a hellacious sore throat and cough that came out of nowhere so this is probably influenced just as much by NyQuil as anything else :)

----------------------------------------------------


I can do this.  I'm just gonna ask her.  Christ, it's only Marie, right?  The one person you can talk to about anything, the one person you can hang out with for hours without sayin' a word.  This ain't gonna be so hard.  And we both kinda needta just get this show on the road.  After everythin' that's happened, it's not so hard.  So just suck it up and do it, bub. 

"Uh, hey."  Great, Logan, off to a very articulate start. 

"Hey."  Look at all that bouncy hair and big smile and bright eyes and - "What's up?"

Right.  Right.  Somethin' is up.  Me knockin' on her door at two in the mornin' usually signifies that somethin' is definitely up.  So glad she got her own room.  The terrible twosome usedta squeal up an awful mess when I hadta get Marie in the middle of the night for a talk or somethin'.  "I just, uh, wanted to see ya.  Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah, but it's OK.  Come on in, sit down."  She always smells so good sleepy.  I wonder if babies smell this good?  Babies from Marie would definitely smell like heaven.  Yeah, that'd be good - me, her, some babies.  God knows ever since I touched her that last time and things went all kerflooey and it ended up with her gettin' my powers and me gettin' her up in my head, well, let's just say that thinkin' 'bout Marie and wantin' to touch Marie have been all I've been doin' lately.  All day, every day.  Even at two in the mornin'.  "Logan?"

Right, Marie.  "Yeah.  Sorry.  Thinkin'."  Just a smile and a nod and I can feel from my inner- Marie that she's just gonna wait me out.  The first day, all I could feel from inner-Marie was all this warmth - love and acceptance and kindness and protectiveness and all the good things that you'd ever hope to feel from somebody you felt that way about too.  It was a lot, and I kinda just sat there with my mouth hangin' open, kinda in awe of it all, on that first day.  Marie was still out, and that's probably the one good thing 'bout her scarin' the hell outta me by not wakin' up for a whole day - she didn't hafta see me lookin' like a moron, sittin' by her bed with my jaw dropped open. 

Now, it's still a lot, but I'm startin' to get a few more specific things from her - not like I am in her head, not like talkin' back and forth and all, but more specific feelin's, or sometimes it comes through like an image or a smell or a sound.  No words yet.  Right now, inner-Marie is kinda feelin' like she's happy to have me here, likes havin' me close, don't mind bein' woken up too much.  Inner-Marie's definitely on board with what I'm plannin' on discussin' here, and that's a real good sign.  I guess maybe I should just jump right in. 

"So, uh, you doin' anythin' tomorrow?"

"You mean during the day?  I was going to go shopping with Jubes, but it's not really necessary."  Now there's a damn big understatement - both in terms of shoppin' and in terms of spendin' time with the yellow rugrat.  "Did you want to do something?"  Smells good, looks like she thinks doin' somethin' with me is a good thing.  Yeah, it's a go. 

"Yeah.  I thought you and me could, you know, spend the day together tomorrow.  On a date."  Real smooth.  Dropped that last part in there all casual.  Yeah, I ain't too bad at this. 

"A date?  That sounds nice."  Oooh - smilin' and scootin' over towards me on the bed.  "Where would you like to go?"

I got some help from inner-Marie there.  I was thinkin' - maybe out to a bar, maybe a hockey game, somethin' like that.  Inner-Marie was givin' me the thumbs up, but all of a sudden, I got this image of us out at a nice place, you know, a really nice restaurant, and at a movie.  That's Marie's idea of a good date.  So that's what I'm goin' with here.  "Thought we'd head out and grab some grub, then go see a movie.  They got a new Jackie Chan one out or I thought that world war two one looked good."  Look at her smilin'.  Inner-Marie was right.  She likes it. 

"That sounds good.  You - you pick.  Either movie is good with me.  Do you want to go to that steakhouse in town?  I know you like their beer and they really do have good steak."  Oh yeah, rare steak, cold beer, Marie.  It don't get much better than that.  Well, it does if ya throw in a hockey game on the tube and Marie possibly kneelin' in fronta me, givin' me a -  "Sound good?"

"Definitely."  Whew. Date accomplished.  Done deal. 

"You know, I was hoping you - you wanted to date me.  I thought you might be kind of waiting until I graduated, if - if you wanted to at all.  Not that I assumed you would, but just - just in case.  But I'm already eighteen, so.."

"Kinda was waitin'."  Inner-Marie was *not* in favor of that plan, no way.  I kinda overruled her on that at first.  But maybe she's right, maybe now is close enough.  Only a coupla more weeks until graduation, and comin' so close to losin' her, then gettin' to touch her - well, let's just say that inner-Marie and my own inner animal have me pretty seriously outvoted on the datin'- ahead-of-schedule referendum.  What really surprises me, though, is how sure inner-Marie was that I wasn't gonna court her, really pay attention to her, treat her special.  She thought I'd either go after Jeannie and ignore her or just get with her all of a sudden.  Dunno why she thinks that.  That's what made me a little techy 'bout askin' her out on a date.  Didn't know what kinda response I'd get.

"I don't want to wait any more."

"I know."  And inner-Marie is almost feelin' like she hasta hurry up and date me before I change my mind.  Dunno why she'd be worried 'bout that either.  Ain't gonna change my mind.  Never do, once I'm set on somethin'.  Maybe I should mention that.  "Hey, you, uh, you know once we start datin', we're just gonna do that until we get married and then we're just gonna be married until we die.  That's pretty much how it's gonna go.  No hurry."

Uh-oh.  She's just starin' at me.  And not in a good way.  OK, gotta think.  Somethin' in there musta come out wrong.  Datin' - check.  Gonna do that until married - check.  Married until we die - check.  Maybe I shouldnta mentioned dyin' - we're only a coupla days outta the medlab and it was a helluva close call.  'Course, I coulda gone as soon as I woke up but Hank kept sayin' Marie hadta stay for 'observation' and if anyone was gonna be doin' any Marie-observin', I was gonna be in on it.  Maybe -

"Did you - ah, never mind."

"No, no say it, 'cause I can tell I said somethin' wrong."  Inner-Marie always feels like I oughta tell the real Marie more stuff.  I guess that goes both ways.  She should tell me whatever part of that was messed up so I can fix it. 

"No, you didn't say anything wrong, not at all, I - I guess I just wasn't prepared to hear - to hear that - that you wanted to get married.  Um, you did say you wanted to get married, right?  I - my brain didn't just make that part up out of wishful thinking or something, did it?"  Aw, she's blushin'.  I don't really remember all the words she said 'cause the blushin' gets me every time.  I caught somethin' 'bout marriage and did I say that, though, so I should make some kinda response here. 

"Yeah, I said that.  Was that the wrong part?"

"No!  Um, no.  No.  Not at all.  That - that was a very right part."  Big, big eyes.  Smells..surprised?  "I'd like that too.  You know, one day.  Eventually.  Whenever you're ready.  I'm - I'm just flattered that you'd consider it, really flattered and - and happy.  I'm very happy."  But she looks just like she might cry.  Holy hell, what's goin' on here?  "I really love you and I really hope - I hope that if we do get married, I hope I could make you very happy."

"Well, of course you could, darlin', or I wouldn't be wantin' to marry ya.  You make me really happy now."  OK, I dunno what's happenin' here and inner-Marie's just all in emotional chaos now, so I'm just gonna hug real-Marie to me as tight as I can.  It's been my experience that that usually stops the tears and calms her down.  "Look, it's just datin'.  And, uh, then marriage.  The death part - well, you got my powers now so that won't be for a long time, so don't worry 'bout that.  I shoulda just left that part out."

"That's not it."  Little whisper.  That could be good or bad.  "You just caught me off guard a little.  I'm really in love with you, you know, and I'd like to date you and then marry you and then, one day, when it's time, pass away in your arms.  Basically, I just want *you*, as much of you as I can get."

"Darlin', dontcha think I feel the same way?"  Shit, I come and wake her up sometimes just to sit with her and look at her.  Don't that give her a clue how I feel?  Doesn't her inner-me tell her? 

"I wasn't sure.  I wasn't sure, and even if you did, I wasn't sure it was a good idea.  But now that I can touch you - "

"Hold on a sec.  That's what this is all about?  You think I'm askin' for dates 'cause I can touch you now?  Christ, Marie!"  I don't mean to be an asshole, but I'm not an asshole, you know?  I wouldnta let her skin scare me offa her, no way.  I'm not in this just for touch. 

"No, no - I just - I know you wouldn't use me or take advantage or anything like that.  Logan, I *know* that.  I just didn't want to take anything away from you, deprive you of anything you could have without me.  I didn't think it was a good idea even if it was what you wanted because - because I'd always want what's best for you.  I'd never want to hurt you."

"Well, you woulda if you'd gotten it inta your head to say away from me just 'cause of your skin or somethin'.  You woulda hurt me a lot, Marie.  Christ, dontcha know that you're everythin' to me?  That I couldn't be without ya?  I don't think I've ever spent a whole 24 hours without seein' ya.  Jeez, Marie." 

"I know that now."  Ah.  I get it.  I get it.  That's why inner-Marie is always tellin' me to tell Marie more stuff.   She might kinda think it, might even feel it from her inner-me, but tellin' her makes it stick.  I got it now.  "I'm sorry for - for all that.  Please, I didn't think you'd ever take advantage of me, or - or be a jerk.  And I've always wanted to be with you, just like you said - dating, then marriage, then eternity.  I love you." 

"I love you too."  And I'm gonna make tellin' her a regular practice from here on out.  Inner- Marie's got some interestin' ideas 'bout how to show Marie, not just tell her, but I think I'm gonna hold off on those for a little bit. 

"Would you mind kissing me now?"  You know, sometimes inner-Marie and real-Marie are right on the same page.  "I'd kind of like to.  If you don't mind."

"We haven't even been out on a date yet, darlin'.  Dontcha think we should wait until tomorrow night for that?"  Just 'cause we're close, and I love her, it don't mean that I'd kiss her without takin' her out somewhere nice first.  Sure, I might have all kindsa fantasies that involve her lookin' up at me just like she is now, and bein' close to her, holdin' her, just like I am now, and then layin' her on her back and  -

"OK.  If - if you want."  Hey, wait a sec - where's inner-Marie goin'?  Uh, darlin', I could use your help here.  "I should let you get back to sleep."  And now real-Marie's lettin' me go, pushin' me back. 

"I'm the one that woke you up."  Somethin's up here.  I smell sad comin' from Marie.  "What's wrong?"

"Nothing.  Not a thing."  Oh, baby, you're a bad liar.  "I'm really looking forward to our date tomorrow."

"Me too.  What's wrong?" 

"Nothing.  Really.  I'm just all emotional."  That's not quite it, I can smell it.  "Go on back to bed and get some sleep.  Everything's fine.  Everything's good."

"I'm not tired.  What's wrong, Marie?"

"Logan.."

"Tell me."

She's decidin' but judgin' by the look on her, she's decidin' not to tell me.  "I'm OK.  Don't worry.  I love you and everything's fine."

"Why don't you wanna tell me what it is?"

"Lo-o-o-gan"

"Marie-e-e-e.."  Heh.  That got a little laugh.  C'mon, darlin', spill it. 

"I really kind of wanted to kiss you now.  It would make it all feel - I don't know, more real or something.  But it's OK if you want to wait.  I can - I can wait until tomorrow without exploding.  Really.  I think."  Teasin', but nervous 'bout tellin' me, very nervous. 

"I just wanna do it the right way - isn't that the right way?  Date, then kiss?"  'Cause I know from inner-Marie that Marie wasn't countin' on any dates and I just wanna do right by her, do it good for her, be respectful. 

"Usually.  But, um, it's not like we don't know each other.  We see each other every day and we're in each other's heads and everything.  Actually, it would feel a lot weirder to kiss someone I didn't know at all at the end of a first date.  Actually, it would feel really weird to kiss anyone but you."  Well, I don't like that idea either.  Oh, hell no.  "But - but it's up to you.  We can do whatever you want.  I'm just glad you'd like to kiss me, you know, at some future time."  More blushin'.  You know, there's only so much one man can take before this goes a lot farther than kissin'.  Me, Marie, her blushin', the bed, pheremones everywhere - hell, that's a dangerous-ass combination if I ever saw one.  "You can change your mind about the kissing, you know"  She must feel how much I wanna have her.  God, I shouldn't, but just one kiss couldn't hurt, right? 

"C'mere."  Yeah, oh yeah.  That's good.  That's damn good.  That's - oh, holy hell, tongues.  Tongues.  She's usin' her tongue.  "Grrrr."  Too much animal-me comin' out, way too much, and too fast.  Gotta - hey!  Hands - hands under my shirt.  "GRRRR"  Fuck.  Fuck, I'm losin' it.  I'm not gonna be able to stop in a second.  "Wait.  Wait, Marie, wait."

"Did I - did I do something wrong?"

"No, baby, you were doin' it too right."  Now that's a damn big smile and here come those hands again.  "Wait, darlin'.  I - I got the animal in me, you know that, right?"  Big noddin'.  She's told me she feels him sometimes.  She calls him Wolverine, me Logan.  Marie - that girl understands me, all the way down to the primal parts, but I don't wanna let the animal take over.  Not now, not like this, and especially not for our first time together.  He's gonna hafta wait.  "I won't be able to hold back if you keep goin'.  I - we're on your bed and we both got minimal clothes on and I can smell you gettin' excited for me, ready.  We gotta stop and I gotta go back to my room."

"I am excited for you, and ready."  Whoa.  Where did that come from?  Who knew there was a sex-kitten Marie in there somewhere.  Inner-Marie and me definitely gotta talk about this.  "Every single molecule of my body has been screaming for me to lay myself down underneath you ever since I met you.  I - I don't know if I can stop if we get started either.  But I'm not afraid of losing control like that, not with you, and I don't want you to be afraid of losing control like that with me."  I just - I dunno what to say to that.  I don't even know what to say to that.  I've never, ever seen her like this before.  I wish like hell you'd come back and help me out here, inner-Marie "Um, you know what?  I probably shouldn't have said that.  I - I kind of freaked you out a little there, didn't I?  Sorry.  I just - "

Oh no, no ya don't.  My sex kitten Marie ain't goin' nowhere.  Uh-uh.  "You be however you wanna be.  If that's - if that's what's on your mind, you just let it out.  You don't hafta be sweet, little innocent Marie for me to love ya, darlin'."

"OK."  God, those big brown eyes are all on fire now.  "Then I'll tell you what's on my mind.  What's on my mind is that that's the best, most loving thing anyone has ever said to me in my whole life and that I really, really want you to date me and sleep with me and marry me."  I want that too, darlin', bad, and that look on your face is -   "Not necessarily in that order."  Whoa. 

"Grrrr"  I'm gettin' in over my head here.  She's unbuttonin' that pajama top and I know damn well she don't have anythin' on underneath.  I should say somethin' here.  I should say somethin' like stop or wait or back up.  But, God, I really don't wanna.  And what she said 'bout every molecule screamin' - well, I've felt that way a long time too.  There's only so long I can hold the animal back from its mate, and there are days I just thank God I met her when she was seventeen goin' on eighteen and not at fourteen or fifteen or somethin'.  The Wolverine don't pay too much attention to things like laws or propriety or even what's best for Marie.  He just plain wants her. 

And now, she's naked before him, before both of us.  Now, she's offerin' herself up to us.  Now, we've gotta take her. 








<You up?>

"Yeah, darlin'."  But not really.  I sure as hell don't feel like movin' and - hey, what happened to her night stand lamp?

<I think you kicked it over pretty early on.  Don't turn on the light, OK?  Let her sleep a little while.  You and I need to talk.>

"Huh?"  Oh, whoa - that's inner-Marie talkin' to me.  Where's real-Marie?  She's gotta be - oh, holy hell.  Jesus Christ.  Wouldya look at this room?  It's trashed.  At least Marie's OK.  Whew.  I didn't get too wild with her or there'd be - shit.  Shit!  No, there wouldn't be any marks on her.  She's got my powers.  Oh, Jesus, what did I do here?

<You didn't hurt us, we're just fine.  But I knew you'd freak when you saw the room, so I thought that you and I should have a little talk first.>

<Just what the fuck did I do?  I don't - I don't remember much after - >

<Things got a little wild, but it's OK.  It's OK.  You made it really good for us and you didn't hurt us.>

<But the room - I musta - >

<OK, you listen to me, Logan.  Whatever you do, don't be all nervous and upset when she wakes up.  That will only freak her out and make her feel rejected or like you didn't like being with her.  Just cuddle her, you know, a little bit, and tell her you love her and everything will be just fine.  Trust me.>

<But - but she's gotta be scared after me doin' all this and wreckin' the room.>

<Believe me, she's not scared.  We're never afraid of you, never.  And she did her fair share of room-wrecking, trust me.>

"Mmmmm"

<She's waking up.  Remember what I said.>

"Wait - inner-Marie!"

"MmmmLogan?"

"Uh, yeah, darlin'.  You go on back to sleep, OK?"  'Cause I gotta track down your head- counterpart and get her to kick in a little more help than 'trust me, everythin's fine.' 

"Are you up?"  Rollin' over and I know she won't just go back to sleep now.  Shit.  Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to follow inner-Marie's advice here.  Might as well give it a shot. 

"Yeah."  Just gonna cuddle her now.  There.  Got her right in my arms, nice and close.  "You OK, baby?"

"Mmm-hmmm."  Hello.  That was a 'yes, I'm *very* OK, you manly sex-God; you have satisfied me completely' if I've ever heard one.  Well, so far so good.  Lemme just try the other half of inner-Marie's advice here.

"I, uh, I love you, Marie."

"I love you too, so much."  Whew.  Whaddya know - inner-Marie was right.  She's not mad or upset or anythin' 'bout last night.  She's cuddlin' me back.  "You know, we should get up sometime soon if we're still going on that date tonight.  It's, like, two in the afternoon."

"We're definitely goin' on that date tonight.  I promised ya datin', right?  And that's what we're gonna do."  Because Marie said she wanted all of it - datin', sex, marriage, eternity - and I'm gonna give her every one of those things.  OK, so we didn't do it in the right order.  That don't mean we can't still do 'em all, right?  "We should probably get up then."

"Mmm-hmmm."  And that was a 'not on your life am I about to move from this spot' if I ever heard one.  That plus the way she's tanglin' her arms and legs all up with mine - well, we're gonna date, definitely.  But maybe not tonight.   "Let's just catch a little more sleep, OK?"

"Sure thing, darlin'."  Thanks, inner-Marie.

<Anytime, sugar, anytime.>

 
Back To The Index   Back To The Archives