Logan's Mutie Day Care

Title:  Every Two Weeks:  Logan's Mutie Day Care
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  Xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  PG-13
Category:  Foofy with a little drama thrown in
Disclaimer:  Keli and Jason are mine.  I'm keeping them.  Everyone else is not mine.
Archive:  Ask, and ye shall receive
Feedback:  Always appreciated, be it good, bad, or ugly :)
Summary:  Sequel to Every Two Weeks:  Don't Come A-KnockinLogan and Marie pull some babysitting duty, and Logan copes surprisingly well.
Comments:  First of all, I am blatantly stealing the title here from Sorciere's feedback to the last Two Weeks story - I hope she doesn't mind :)  The title is much funnier and better than the story itself, I guarantee (Come on, it's hard to beat 'Logan's Mutie Day Care'!  That's priceless.).  Second, this story's been a while in coming, and it wasn't easy to write.  It's not my favorite, in other words, but I think it turned out OK in the end.  Third - the kids are named for my brbf and her big brother - Keli's not like her tiny doppleganger at all, but Jason is ;)  And we love him for it, since I have borrowed him as my unofficial big brother and protector as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------



Ya know, they ain't bad kids.  The eight-year old, the boy, he's all right. 

"Jason, don't - don't - be careful with that!"  Sure, he's a little rambunctious but what's wrong with that?  Marie keeps sayin' he's gonna destroy the house and everythin' in it before the two weeks are up, but I don't think so.  I mean, he hasn't destroyed that much in the eight hours that we've been here, really.  He's just playin'.  He's a boy. 

CRASH

Oops.  I think that was another plate.  "Jason!"  Hell, these people got lotsa plates, ain't the end of the world or nothin'.  "Logan, would you say something to him?" Marie gets all flustered when he acts up. 

"Whaddya want me to say?  He don't listen to me any better than you, honey."  It's true.  Kid don't really listen to anyone.  I kinda like that about him, honestly. 

"He's *your* little mini-me!  *You* talk to him!" 

"What?"

"Oh, come on, you don't see it?  The bad attitude, the pointy hair - "

"That's 'cause of his powers.  The electricity does that.  I can't control electricity so I don't see what - "

"Logan, he's eight years old, and he already exhibits a preference for wearing leather."

"Hey - Chuck said to pick up coats for them.  It's chilly up here.  Just 'cause I bought him a leather coat don't mean - "

"*And* he swears like a sailor." 

"That's not my fault.  He knew all those words before we even got here."

"I didn't say it was your faultjeez..this was harder than I thought it would be."

"Aw, come on, honey, you're gettin' along real good with Keli.  She likes you a lot."

"Yeah, but - oh, no!  Jason, no!  Put that down!"  Heh.  Little kid got a hold of the vase on the table. He's takin' the flowers out, probably wants to use it to build somethin'.  He said he was makin' a fort for Keli or somethin' upstairs in the play room. 

"What?"  I gotta give it to him, the kid's got the innocent look down pat. 

"Jason, put that down."  Marie tries to be all stern, hands on her hips and everythin'.  Jason's never intimidated by that.  And she don't really mean it anyway - she likes both the little ones, even if she is kinda exasperated with Jason.

"But I *need* it.  Keli needs a tower on the fort."

"You could break it and - "

"I'll be really careful.  Promise.  Come on, Ms. Marie.  I want Keli to have a tower."  The kid knows that Marie's got a soft spot for the little girl. 

"Be VERY careful, Jason, and next time, ask first!"  He's already headed back upstairs.  Heh.  I kinda like him.  But he's not really anythin' like me.  He's not.  "Thanks for all your help there, big guy."  Now Marie's miffed at me - teasin' - but a little miffed too.

"He's fine.  Besides, you know how he is, if Keli asks for it, he gets it.  Come on and sit down a second, come on."  The little girl - Keli - she's a cutie, but real quiet.  Her mutation - she can control the minds of people she touches - it's been kinda hard on her.  Both of them were lab rats, some goddamn experiments that one of Chuck's highly placed "friends" found.  Both of them had their mutations forced to manifest early.  Sucks.  But they're both cute, and if you ask me, Keli looks like Marie musta when she was a kid - lots and lots of brown hair - big, wide eyes, even though Keli's are green - and a big smile when she lets it out.    "They're fine.  They're up there playin'.  Just relax a second." 






"Oooh!  That's gonna make a good tower!"

"Yeah.  Thought you'd like it.  Ms. Marie almost didn't let me take it but I told her it was for you and she said OK.  She-e likes you-u-u-u, you're her pet, na-na-na-na-na."

" 'top it.  No teasin'."

"Sorry.  Forgot."

"Jason, do you - do you think she's OK?"

"Hmph.  Dunno.  They said they weren't gonna hurt us and all, just stay with us for a while, but I dunno.  We'll wait and see.  If they try anything, I'll kick their asses, for sure."

"Jason!  That's a bad word!

"Oops.  Sorry."

" 's OKbut I'm scared."

"Me too.  But I'll take care of you.  I promised, 'member?"

"Yeah.  I 'member."

"Don't get sad, Keli.  Come on, we've got a tower for the fort now.  Check it out."

"Yeah.  It's neat.  I like it.  Thanks, Jason."







"They're cute kids, Logan, but they're a handful."

"Would I be a bad boyfriend if I picked now to remind you that this was your idea?"

She's cute when she pouts at me.  Sexy, even.  I wonder how much those kids could hear upstairsI mean, we're on the couch in the far corner of the - "I know, I know.  I guess I underestimated it.  'Babysitting' - it sounds so simple, doesn't it?"

"Well, maybe next time, you'll listen to your boyfriend's older and wiser perspective on - oof!"  That kinda hurt - that couch pillow ain't very soft, especially right to the face.

"Why do you keep calling yourself my boyfriend?"  I knew she'd catch on to that sooner or later..and that sexy little tone of voice tells me she likes it just as much as I thought she would.

"'Cause I am.  Right?"

"Yes, but..don't take this the wrong way, but you just don't seem like the kind of person who refers to himself that way."

"Well, if I'm your boyfriend, that makes you my girlfriend, right?  And I like callin' you that."

"OK, OK - I'm wearing the tags, I never go anywhere without you - what else do you want?  A big tattoo on my butt that says 'Property of Logan'?"

"I think tattoos are sexy.  I think - oof!"  Gotta get that pillow away from her.

"Be serious.  What's up with you?  Is there really any doubt in your mind that I'm yours?"  You know, when she says it flat out like that, there isn't.  Not really.  But I kinda like the visual and audio reminders, you know?

"Nah.  Just like callin' you my girl."  She likes it a little more than she's tryin' to let on, me bein' tool of the patriarchy.

"I guess I can live with that."  Oh yeah, come on over here a little closer.  And just let me take that pillow outta your hand

"Hey, Mr. Logan?"  Oh shit, the kid.  "Do you know if there's any paint around?"  And the other one, kinda hidin' behind him.  "We wanna finger paint.  The Taylors let us finger paint."

Yeah, yeah.  "Where did they put the paint?  Do you know?"

"I dunno." 

"Well, go look for it."  This kid is in serious need of some hunting lessons. 

"If I find it, can we paint?"

"Sure, sure."  How much trouble can that be, right?







"For the love of God, I'll never get this paint out of my hair."  I think it actually looks good on her - couple streaks of blue down the back of her head.  'Course, I can't really imagine what wouldn't look good on her  "Oh, well, it's just going to have to wait.  Come on guys, it's bedtime.  Who's going first?"

"We go together."  Hmmm.   Jason's lookin' a little outta sorts there.

"Um, don't you think you're a little too old to sleep in the same bed?  And you have separate bedrooms here.  I mean, Keli's five and you're eight, maybe it's time to - "  Whoa.  Whoa.  Marie caught that too.  Keli stiffin' up and shakin' her head like that.  Shit.  Somethin' real bad musta happened to these two in that place.  Real bad.  "Or - or not.  Or you could hop in bed together."  Marie's lookin' to me for support, but I don't really know how to handle this.

"Keli gets in first.  Then me. That's how we do it.  I'm not leaving her alone with you.  I'm not.  Don't try to make me."  I think his hair gets even pointier when he gets riled up like that.  Must be the electricity flowin' through him.  He even looks a little scary there - arms crossed, all jacked up. 

"I-I'm not.  It's fine if you want to stay with her.  That's fine, Jason.  Nothing - nothing's wrong with that.  Um, so, Keli gets in first, right?  Do you - uh, would you like a story or a song or anything before bed?"  Marie, tryin' to make 'em feel better, God bless her.  Tuckin' 'em both in, real nice.

"Story."  That's Keli, real soft.  That's why she gets in first - so she can hide behind Jason.  Kid's got himself between that little girl and Marie.  On guard, just in case.  That's just so fuckin' sad.

"OK."  Uh, don't look at me, honey, I don't know any bedtime stories.  "Um.once upon a time, there was a girl.  Her name was..Keli.  She was very pretty.  And very brave."

"Make Jason in it too."  Kid's almost got her head buried in Jason's shoulder.  She's never shy about touchin' Jason - must not be bothered by hearin' his thoughts.  Chuck said it's hard for little kids with telepathic ability.  The other voices in their heads are all confusin' and a lot of them are thinkin' thoughts no kid has any business with.  Plus, I bet the people who had her, the people who made her mutation come out, fucked with her head a lot.  But she trusts Jason pretty much.  That's good.  She needs someone to trust.

"Keli - who was also a princess - " That got a little bitty smile outta the girl. " - had a brave and fearsome knight to guard her named Jason."

"Yeah!  Fearsome, that's me!"  Heh.

"That's right.  Well, one day, Princess Keli and Knight Jason came to live in their very own castle.  It had nice furniture and nice decorations, and a lot of room.  But most importantly, it had lots of other princesses and knights, just like Keli and Jason, for them to play with."

"Did they like princess Keli?"  Tiny little whisper.  God, your heart just breaks for that girl.

"Well, duh."  Jason's fieldin' that one for Marie.  "Of course they did.  And they liked me too, right?"

"Absolutely.  In fact, Keli and Jason had lots and lots of friends at the castle.  They were safe, and protected, and taken care of.  And they lived happily ever after.  The end."

"Good story, Ms. Marie."  Marie's really tearin' up at Jason's seal of approval there.  Maybe I should say somethin'.

"Ya know, that's what it's like at Chuck's.  That's what it'll be like there.  You can trust me.  Marie and me - we both been there.  They're real nice people and it's a real nice place."  Chuck said they weren't ready to go yet, and that Jason especially was reluctant to.  I can understand that - they been through a lotta shit.  He's not sure who to trust.  I can relate to that.  Chuck wants to give 'em time, doesn't wanna force 'em.

"Maybe."  He's still not ready. 

"Well, just think about it, kid.  Good night, guys."

"Good night."  That came out in a real soft Marie-whisper.  Marie, she feels for 'em.  I do too.





"What do you think?"

"Dunno.  Maybe."

"I think they're nice."

"'Cause they told us a story?"

"Yeah.  And 'cause it was a nice story."

"I guess"

"They made that place sound really nice."

"I dunno, Keli, it still could be scary."

"But it might be nice."

"OK - let's see.  Let's see.  Ms. Marie said they'd be here for two weeks.  Let's see."

"OK, 'tinky feet."

"Hey!  I thought you said no teasin', fuzzy head."

"Changed my mind.  'Night, Jason."

"'Night, Keli."







"Hey!  No fair!"

"No fair?  It's not my fault you're so ticklish.."  God, it's like night and day with that little girl.  She's a little bundle now - playin' with Marie, little pillow fights and tickle wars.  She's done real good these past two weeks. 

"Ms. Marie!"

"Are you tickling me back?  Oh-oh!  I'm in trouble now!"  Ever since she figured out that Marie was always covered - that she wouldn't have to worry about gettin' Marie's thoughts by touchin' her skin - she's been all over her.  Playin', horsin' around.  It's good that she can do that. 

"Hmmph.  Girls."  Jason's been doin' better too.  A little less wary, a little easier around us.  He still keeps a pretty close eye on the little girl, though.

"Yeah.  Tell ya somethin', kid - they just get to be more trouble when they grow up."

"Ms. Marie too?"  He's a good kid.  He'll make it.  And he ain't afraid of nothin'.  Not even me.  That's a good thing - he's needed it to get him through.

"Well, there *are* exceptions.  Marie's an exception.  That's why she's my girl."

"Did you always know Ms. Marie?"

"No, we met a little while ago, just a few months ago.  Why?"

"I dunno.  I knowed Keli, since I can remember."

"You two are pretty tight, huh?"

"Yeah."  He's scootin' a little closer to me on the couch.  He don't even know he's doin' it.  He gets that tone in his voice, and that look on his face, when he's thinkin' about somethin' bad but he don't want no one to see it.  He don't like to show weakness.  Sad thing to say 'bout an eight-year-old kid, but it's true.  "You know, before, I had to take care of her.  She's too little to take care of herself.  So I had to do it."

"That was a brave thing you did there."

"Yeah."  Scootin' over a little bit more.  "I guess."

"I'm sure she appreciates it."

"Yeah..but.."

"What?"

"But she'll have other people to take care of her now, right?  I mean, she don't need me to anymore, does she?"  Ah, that's what's really at the bottom of it.  Yeah, he's scared to be around new people and to go to a new place, but he's scared of what'll happen with him and his little best buddy there. 

"Ah, I don't think that's so.  Like I said, you two are tight.  That's not gonna change.  And besides, you'll still have to look out for her some. Like you said, she's just a little kid, still.  She's gonna need someone older, bigger, and badder like you to keep an eye out, just in case."  I know that might not have been the right thing to say.  Probably wasn't.  But I think it made him feel better.

"Yeah?"

"Oh, yeah.  For sure."  It did - it did make him feel better.  Well, good.  You know, I think I'm gettin' the hang of this babysittin' thing. 

"Hmmm.  Girls are silly." I can see why he'd think that with Marie and Keli rollin' around on the floor laughin' and gigglin' like maniacs.  It's cute, though.   And they both deserve a little fun. Plus, he's gonna change his mind about girls bein' silly in another few years, but he don't need to know all that just yet.

"Yeah."

" 'cept those two."

"Yeah."  You know - the kid's a good judge of character.  Damn good.  I kinda like the little guy.







"We're just about ready to go.  Thanks so much for helping out.  And for helping us to get them to go to Xavier's.  You two did a great job."

"Thanks, Jeannie."  She looks a little surprised at that.  Shit, I handled Sabretooth, I can handle two little kids.  Shouldn't be so shocking.

"Logan did all the work.  He was great with them."  Marie, bein' nice.  She really did good with the little girl.  I think Keli's still a little scared of me.

"Logan did all the work?  Now, that I don't believe for a second."  Shut up, one-eye.

"It's true. Jason really bonded with him."  Marie's really pleased with me for makin' an effort with the little guy.  And now she's got that little twinkle in her eye - she's gonna tease me a little, I can tell.  "I think he's Logan's mini-me."

I still don't get that, and I wish Jeannie and Scooter would stop crackin' up.

"Oh, Rogue!  That's it!"  Shit, it ain't that funny.  "Oh my God, that's it!"

"It's the hair, definitely."  Scooter should NOT be one to talk about hair.  That dude has boring hair.  He's just jealous, that's all.  "And the attitude."

"I ain't got a bad attitude, dammit."  More laughin' and even Marie's laughin' with 'em now.  "I'm a perfectly fuckin' pleasant person!"  I'm gettin' a little pissed - here I am bein' nice, *babysittin'* for Christ's sakes, and I still get accused of havin' a bad attitude.

"Of course, Logan, of course."  Hmph.  Jeannie's just humorin' me, but I really think -

"No, it's true."  Ah, finally.  Marie to the rescue.  "He really is a pleasant person.  I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to make fun.  Jason just strikes me as a little you, that's all."  I know she feels bad 'cause I got a little pissed.  It's fine - and I bet she'll make it up to me plenty later.

"They're both familiar, don't you think?"  Huh.  "Oh, come on, Rogue - they're just like a little you and Logan.  Look - look at the way Jason hovers over her.  Look at the way she sticks to him like glue.  It's you and Logan all over."  Jeannie's got a point there.

"Hmmm.  Maybe.."

"Well, at least we'll have a chance to work on them before they degenerate into you two."  Scooter's teasin' Marie.  But what'd be so bad about them turnin' into us?  "We'll be in the car - give you time to say your goodbyes.  See you two later."  If they did turn into us, they'd be OK.  I mean, we're OK.  "Jason, Keli, time to go!  Say goodbye to Mr. Logan and Ms. Marie!"

Aw, now I feel all sad.  Just like when I almost left Marie at Chuck's.  I've really gottta get a grip on this attachment thing.  "Hey you two.  We gotta head out.  You'll be just fine with Jeannie and Scooter."

"Will we ever see you again?"  Keli, peekin' out from behind Jason.  They're both still just a little scared about the whole thing.

"Of course you will, we go back to the school every so often."  Marie, lookin' at me for confirmation.  Sure, why not?  I could put up with the x-geeks once in a while.  For short periods of time.  "You'll see us again, definitely.  Now, how about a hug?"

"Mmmmph."  Shit, that little girl's squeezin' with everything she's got. Marie really did make an impression with her.

"Jason?"  He'll give her just a quick little hug.  He's a manly little guy.

"Mr. Logan?"  Aw, Keli standin' there, arms out, waitin' for a hug from me.  I guess it wouldn't ruin my bad-ass reputation just to hug her a little.  "Thanks."

And now, Jason.  No hugs.  We're men.  But.  "Hey, kid.  Remember what I said about lookin' after her.  And don't listen to Scooter.  I mean, listen to him, but, uh, he's not a role model or anythin', OK?  He's too goddamn tense for his own good.  You just be yourself and do your own thing.  And hey - if you ever get into trouble, or the x-geeks can't help ya, find a phone and call us at this number.  It's me and Ms. Marie's cell phone.  We'll come runnin' if ya need us.  Deal?" 

"Deal."  He's grippin' that little slip of paper real tight.  Maybe a handshake wouldn't be bad.  It's not a hug, right?  Handshakes are manly.

"Bye, kid."

"Bye, Mr. Logan.  And don't worry, I'll take care of Keli."  He's tellin' me that more for him than me, but I understand.

"Bye, guys."  Marie, wavin' and cryin', as they get in the car and drive off. 

"Aw, it's OK, honey.  They're gonna be fine."

"I know."  She's beautiful even when she cries and gets all red and blotchy.  "And hey - I meant it, you were just great with them.  And you did do most of the work."

"Well, that's 'cause I'm a natural at that.  Babysittin' - it ain't so hard."

"Hmm.  Sooooo..the next time Scott comes knocking on the camper door - "  Teasin', I know, but that was damn serious when he did that.  I don't like, um, private Marie-time bein' interrupted.

"Oh, no, none of that.  That's why we got the damn cell phone."

"So the next time Scott calls and needs a favor - "

"I ain't gettin' in the habit of doin' favors for one-eye."  Hell no. 

"Even if they involve really cute kids?"

"We can have our own really cute kids."  Ooops.

"Uh-huh.  And were you planning on doing that sometime soon?"

"Uh."

"You know, we might want to get married first."  Can't really tell if she's yankin' my chain or -   "I'm free this weekend.."

I love her and all - but the m-word?  I'm just not the kinda guy who does the m-word.  "Uh, honey, I - I - "

"I'm kidding, Logan.  Relax."

"I, uh."

"I'm not ready to get married."  Oh-oh.  Is that - is that a bad thing?  I mean, I'm not ready either, but aren't women supposed to wanna get married, like as soon as possible?  Does that mean she don't think I'm the kinda guy you get hitched to?  "Or have kids.  Gosh, this whole experience really brought that home, that's for sure."

"You don't - you wouldn't wanna have kids?  Or just not with me?"  That didn't come out quite right, but -

"Logan, I would want to have kids, and with you especially."  Good, well, good.  "But not now.  Probably not any time soon.  I want it to be just us for a while, OK?"

"Sounds good to me, darlin'."  Whew.  I kinda like the picture of me and Marie and a coupla cute kids.  Glad she does too.

"So, what's next?"

"Back to the Logan and Marie camper, and back on the road."  It'll feel good to get out again. 

"Where to?"

"I'm thinkin' north.  Ever been to the Yukon?"  Could take her to see the northern lights.  With the money we made here, we'll be OK for a while.  It'll be nice to just travel and relax.

"Nope.  Sounds good to me, though."  You know, if we ever do have kids, I hope they're like her - I hope they look like her, get her disposition, everythin'.  She'd make a good mom.  I can tell.  "Logan?"

"Just thinkin' darlin'.  Just thinkin' you'll make a real good mom for our kids."  There's the Marie-smile I know and love.  I've gotta get this woman in bed, like, now.  "Come on, let's get outta here.  Camper's waitin'."

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives