Do Not Leave Child Unattended

Title:  Rule Number Nine:  Do Not Leave Child Unattended
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  PG
Disclaimer:  I don't own them, except for Jules.  Darn.
Archive:  WRFA, Mutual Admiration, Peep Hut-everyone else, please ask, and I will gladly say yes.
Feedback:  Please?  With a cherry on top?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome..
Summary:  Sequel to Two's Company, Three's a Crowd.  Professor Xavier uses his big brain to figure some things out, and it could have life-changing consequences for Rogue.
Comments:  Sorry this took so long.  This poor series is supposed to be getting most of the attention, but I've been set upon by vicious and unscrupulous plot bunnies lately.  I'll try to get my act together.  This is dedicated once again to Lateo, who has flung many a plot bunny and who always reminds me when it's time for another Rules installment ;) 

--------------------------------------------------------------



*CRASH*

Oh, dear, that must be Jules again.  I fear the alarm clock is the victim of his curiosity this time.  One really cannot leave children to their own devices for even a few seconds.  I really must do a better job of watching him and of baby-proofing (toddler-proofing?) my room now that he is in residence.

"Oweee."  He looks quite adorable just now, pointing to the fallen clock with a look of complete sympathy.  And, although I realize I may be biased as his parent, I think that most of the mansion residents would agree with me.  Everyone seems to have taken to him quite well.

"Yes, Jules, the alarm clock is somewhat injured."  And he is still holding the electrical cord connected to it with one hand, so I shall simply remove it from his grasp.  His fingers are so very tiny, yet they are an exact replica of mine.  My child.  My son.  Sometimes it still seems a little unreal.  "Jules, let's sit on the bed, all right?"  He should be relatively well-contained in the middle of my king-size bed.   

"Bad?" The way he looks up at me with those clear yellow eyes is just so touching.  The poor child-what he must have been through still makes me enraged.  It is truly a testament to his character, even at this young age, that he has come through it as well as he has.

"No, you are not bad.  But I do not wish for you to grab the electrical cords.  You may be injured and I would not like for that to happen."  Jules is fascinated by them, so naturally curious.  I admit to more than a small tinge of pride at the thought that my son may have some of my scientific leanings.  He still looks somewhat uncertain about the whole incident, though.  "Would you like a hug?"

Ah, that's it.  I have found that Jules quite likes to be hugged and held in my lap.  He finds it very comforting, as do I, frankly.  Prior to Jules, I never really noticed, but I was extremely rarely in physical contact with others outside the medlab.  With Jules, I can give hugs, wrestle, play patty-cake-all of those things, and as much as Jules and I wish.  It is quite.nice.  Jules, too, seems to crave touch.  Perhaps it is because the child has not known much physical contact in his short life that wasn't painful to him.  Well, I shall remedy that.

"Perhaps you would like to play a game of some sort?"  His self-appointed 'Uncle' Bobby has already taught him patty-cake, which he quite likes.  Peek-a-boo was not as much of a success.  The covering of his head with a blanket made him nearly hysterical.  Needless to say, we have retired that game. 

"No."  Sometimes, he just likes to be near to me, to be in my lap.  I probably should have guessed that a little fatherly cuddling was required.  His head dropped to my shoulder almost immediately and he burrowed very closely in to my chest.  Those are sure signs.  "Dada big."

"Yes."  He seems extraordinarily comforted by the fact that I am 'big.'  I am certain that my physicality gives him some sense of security, but it seems to go even beyond that.  It is a phrase he has repeated often.  "And you will grow up to be big one day as well."  Ah, a laugh.  How sweet that sound is.

"Me small now." 

"Yes, that's true, but you are growing and getting bigger all the time."  Another laugh.  He seems quite delighted by the concept. 

"Eat soon?"  Jules is constantly hungry-he was fed only two hours ago-but I do not mind that he is eating us out of house and home.  In the first few days he was here, he was veritably obsessed with food-when would there be food, where was I intending upon finding the food, how much food would there be-every possible facet related to eating received his utmost scrutiny.  Feeding him whenever he asks seems to have allayed some of his concerns. 

"We can.  Are you hungry now?"

"Uh-huh."

"Would you like to head to the kitchen and help me prepare some snacks?"

"Yeah!"  Ah, my son has quite the charming smile.  I am so grateful for him, so grateful that Logan and Marie found him.  What an odd coincidence, but how blessed. 

KNOCK KNOCK

"Come in." 

"Come in."  Sometimes I forget that it is now Jules' room too.

"Hello.  How are the both of you doing?"  The Professor-I should have expected him.  He did mention wanting to discuss something. 

"We are well."

"Well!"  

"I see that Jules' vocabulary is coming along nicely."  I do think that the Professor likes Jules.  I am aware that he is not so fond of the decreased time spent on my research, but I believe that he understands.  "Hank, I was wondering if you had a moment."

"Of course.  We were headed to the kitchen, but it can wait a moment.  I apologize for not seeking you out sooner.  You did mention that you had something you wished to talk about."

"Yes."  Oh, my.  He looks suddenly quite grave.  "Do you recall Rogue's stay here?"

"Of course."  Quite grave, and not at all pleased.  Perhaps Jules should not hear this.  "Jules, please-ah, play with your toys for a moment, would you?  We shall eat as soon as I have finished talking with the Professor."  He is an obedient child for the most part-I know he is hungry, but he is willing to wait to be fed and do as I say for now.  I am most fortunate.

"I began thinking about what little information we do have about her.  Since she appears to be less closely affiliated with the Brotherhood and..Mystiquethan we originally thought, I wanted to seek out ways we might attempt to mend fences with her a bit.  I....."

"Professor?"  I have never seen him trail off in the middle of a sentence like that before.  Something must be very seriously wrong. 

"Sorry.  I, ah, wondered quite a bit about two things.  One-her ability to telepathically block even my efforts to sense her.  Such a complete and total block is usually the sign of a powerful telepath, but she herself did not indicate that she possessed any such powers, and we saw no other discernable evidence of telepathy while she was here, correct?"

"Correct."

"The second thing I began to wonder about was her parentage on the father's side.  I had always assumed that she was Sabretooth's child, but you said she made a passing comment that referred to him as her step-father."

"Yes."  Good Lord, I have never seen the Professor look so pale.  I wonder what could possibly-

"I have reason to believe, Hank, that Rogue may be my daughter."

"What?!"  That's-that's simply not possible.  Not possible.  The Professor and Mystique-not-not possible.

"There was a time, about twenty years ago, when Erik and I were quite close.  You were aware of that."

"Yes, b-but-"

"I knew Mystique at that time as well.  She was-well, jealous of my relationship with Erik.  One of the things that finally helped to wedge me apart from Erik and that crowd was an incident involving Mystique."  Oh, my heavens, please let this not be what I think it is going to be.  "She impersonated Erik several times while we were, ah, intimate.  I shut down my powers completely during those times between us, to ease Erik's concerns, to make him more comfortable.  I fear that Mystique became pregnant with Rogue in this fashion.  It-it would explain the girl's telepathic block, and the time line is a match, from what she's told us and from my own remembrance of that period.  I-I am not certain, but it is a possibility."

"My goodness."  I honestly can't think of anything else to say.  I-I am speechless.

"Mystique left soon after I discovered her deception and went into hiding for about a year and a half.  That fits the scenario as well.  She-her hatred of me became absolutely vehement after I discovered her deception with regard to impersonating Erik and at the time, I chalked it up to jealousy.  Erik was quite upset with her as well.  But now I wonder if perhaps there is not more behind it."

I know he is waiting for some sort of response from me, but, honestly, I simply cannot formulate one at the moment.

"Hank, I would like to ask her to return here, and I would like to-to undergo a blood test to determine whether my theory is correct.  You-you are the closest one of us to her, and you have the best, perhaps the only chance of persuading her to return or to permit us to come to her.  I know that you have a phone number with which to contact Rogue, should some situation with Jules arise and should her help be necessitated.  I am asking you, as my friend, to please talk with her, to ask her to do this."

"Professor......Charles.her reaction, it may be very negative.  I can attempt to speak with her about it, but....."

"Please do."  I have never seen him like this-almost desperate.  I cannot tell if he wants the test so badly because he hopes he may have a child or because he desperately hopes that Mystique did not bear his child. 

"I-I'll try.  I'll call and speak with her.  I'll try."

"Thank you, old friend.  And please, keep what I have shared between you and me, at least for the moment.  I do not know how the other mansion residents might react to this news."

"Of course."   My heavens.......







"Hello?"

"Hello, Marie.  It is Hank."

"Hank?  Is something wrong?  Did something happen to Jules?"

"Ah, no.  He is doing well."

"What's wrong?  You-you sound like something's wrong."

"Marie, I am not sure there is an easy way to break this news to you.  I had a discussion with Professor Xavier a few moments ago.  You recall the Professor, yes?"

"Yes."

"Well, he, ah, he had been thinking about you since your departure and he, ah, he-"

"Hank, I don't want to go back there.  I-we've been pretty clear with you about that and I don't appreciate you calling to try to convince me to-"

"No, no.  Nothing like that.  Well-not exactly."

"What, then?"

"Marie, the Professor believes that-that there is a chance, a possibility, that he may be your biological father.  He had a, ah, relationship of sorts with Mystique approximately twenty years ago that may have resulted in her pregnancy.  He is not certain, but there is a chance that you may be his daughter."

"."

"Marie?"

""

"Marie, are you there?"

"I'm here."

"I realize that it must be quite shocking news for you to hear."

"It is.  I thought-I always thought my real father was dead, that Mystique killed him.  Are-are you sure it could be the Professor?"

"Ah, well, frankly, no.  That is why he requested that I contact you-to share that information and to inquire as to whether you would like to take a blood test to determine whether the Professor is, in fact, your biological father."

"A-a test?"

"Yes.  Drawing a blood sample from you and from the Professor would allow us to examine the DNA and make a determination of paternity.  The test could be done here at the medlab or in any location of your choosing.  I realize-and the Professor does as well-that you may not wish to return here.  I could suggest some other medical facilities that may be appropriate in any location you would like to choose."

""

"Marie?"

"I-I need to think about it, Hank.  I-I don't know."

"I understand completely.  Perhaps-perhaps that is best, to take some time to think it over.  But, ah, before I go, would you care to speak to Jules?"

"Sure.  Sure we would."

"Hewwo!"

"Hello, Jules, how are you?"

"Well.  Dis Mawee?"

"Yes, it's Marie. Would you like to say hello to Logan too?"

"Yeah!"

"Uh, hello, kid."

"Hewwo!"

"You doin' OK?"

"Yeah!  Well.  Me do well."

"Well, good.  That's good to hear."

"You OK?"

"Uh-huh.  We're doin' just fine.  Hank takin' good care of ya?"

"Yeah.  But-Dada.  He's dada."

"Oh.  Uh, right.  Dad."

"Yeah."

"You take care of yourself, ya hear?  And you have your dad call if you ever need us."

"OK.  Bye now?"

"Yeah.  Uh, bye."

"Logan?"

"Yeah."

"I, ah, will call again tomorrow, or should-should I wait for Marie to call here?"

"Wait on her call.  Hey-take care of Jules, huh?"

"Of course.  Goodbye."

"Bye."





She don't look too good.  Well, it's a shock, that's for damn sure.  If it was me, I'd feel like I got kicked in the ass but good.  Here ya go, all these years, thinkin' one thing, and then, boom-somethin' drops in your lap and totally changes all that.  "Hey, how're you holdin' up?"

"Bad."  Whoa.  She-she never says that.  She usually says fine.  Even after all the lab stuff and her bein' caged up back there, she tried to say she was doin' OK.

"Tell me what to do."  Oh-shoulda figured that.  She likes me to hug her when she's feelin' a little iffy, and if she's feelin' bad, 'course she'd wanna hug me.  Gotta try to pay more attention to that stuff. 

"Oh, Logan, I don't want him to be my dad."    Oh-oh.  Cryin'.  That's not good. 

"I know.  He was kinda bein' an asshole to ya by havin' ya locked up and all."

"Yeah."  She's really squeezin' me for all she's worth here.  It must be bad.  "And I just-I hated Sabretooth so much, you know?  He was never a good step-dad, not at all.  I mean, he was an affirmatively *bad* step-dad.  And my momwell, you know.  I just-I wanted to hang on to the idea that my dad loved me and was a good person, you know?  Even if-even if he was dead, maybe he cared about me.  I used to think that that's even why Mystique might have killed him-because he tried to protect me from her or something.  And I know-I know it sounds stupid, but I'd rather think that than know that my real dad is alive and that he-he-"

"It's gonna be OK."   Back-rubbin'.  She always likes back-rubbin' at times like this.  "I'm gonna take care of you, Marie.  You know that, right?"  Noddin'.  Tears easin' up. 

"I just don't want him to be my dad.  He-he thought the worst about me because of Mystique, he never even tried to find out what I was really like before he locked me up.  And how-if he thought Mystique might have been pregnant with his kid, how did he just walk away from that?  Didn't he know what a really, really awful person she was?  Didn't he think she'd be awful to her kids, too?"

"I dunno all that, but I do know that he fucked up.  I dunno who would ever leave you or wanna lock you up or hurt you.  Only real fucked up people, that's who."  I guess I don't want him to be her dad either.  I mean, what kinda asshole is he, lockin' up people he don't know nothin' about?

"Logan "  Lookin' up at me now.  Those big wet eyes-that just breaks your heart right there.  "I don't want to go back to the mansion, but-but I think I have to know.  I have to at least know for sure if it's true.  I have to know."

"OK."  Well, I understand that, kinda.  Even if he's a shithead, might as well know who your dad is.  At least that way, she don't have to wonder, and she can just close the book on that whole thing.  "We'll figure somethin' out."

"Would-what would you think of asking Hank to come up here, to draw some blood and take it back with him?  I don't think I can go to a-a hospital or anything like that."  She's shakin' a little, so I'm just gonna go back to a nice, tight hug.  I'm gettin' pretty good at this comfort thing.

"Sounds OK to me.  I'll keep a close eye on ya, just to be sure he don't pull nothin'."  Yeah, she's huggin' back.  That's what she needed. 

"I think-I think we can trust him, at least a little.  I think if we ask, he won't tell the rest of them where we are."  And especially not Scott.  I don't want that asshole anywhere near her.  Especially not him.

"We'll give it a try that way, darlin'.  But let's-after it's done, let's plan to get outta here right away, just in case, all right?"  Noddin' against my chest.   We'll try it that way.  Maybe-maybe he could even bring Jules too.  That'd cheer Marie up a little, seein' the little guy.  I bet she misses him already. 

"Would you make the call to Hank?"

"Sure, darlin', whatever you want.  Wanna do it now?"

"No.  No.  Let's-let's sleep on it first, OK?  If we're still decided on doing it that way in the morning, let's call then.  Is that OK?"

"Sure.  You wanna bed down for the night then?"  'Cause I think headin' in to the Jeep a little early would be fine.  I can hold her some and then we can be together, and that'll make her feel better. 

"Yeah.  I'll get the seat folded down."  You know, she's been through a lotta shit in not a lotta time-first her mom, then the lab, then the damn x-men, then Jules, then all that paintin' to get us a little money and pay back her friend, and now all this.  Once this shit gets sorted out, we gotta make a plan to just spend some quiet time.  I don't care what shit happens-escaped mutants, government soldiers, asshole x-men, whatever-I gotta keep her outta the firin' line for a good long while.  She's mine.  She's mine to take care of, and that's what I gotta do.  I'll make the call in the mornin', we'll deal with all this shit, and however it shakes out, we'll just disappear and hole up for a while.  Just her and me, bein' together and, you know, *bein' together* for a good long while.  Yeah, that's what we gotta do. 

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives