Eighteen Questions, Take One

Title: Eighteen Questions, Take One
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG, violence
Summary: Sequel to Eighteen Past the Hour. Rogue just keeps getting drugged and kidnapped. We find out why Mystique's been following her.
Series: Eighteen #4
Disclaimer: None of them are mine.
Archive: Ask, and I'll share.
Feedback: Please!
Comments: Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback and encouragement! By the
way, I always hated playing twenty questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wh-what happened? Where am I?"

"Well, well, it speaks."

"Mystique."

"Yes, although I don't believe we've been properly introduced. I've been looking for you for a long time, dear."

"I was...I don't remember. Wait, I was in the bathroom at the restaurant."

"Yes, well, we needed to talk, and I didn't think your traveling companion would appreciate it if I had joined you at the dinner table."

"No, he wouldn't have. You know, he'll notice I'm gone and come after me."

"How sweet."

"What - "

"I'd hold that thought if I were you. You see, I think we should play a little game. It's called twenty questions. It's my favorite game. You can ask twenty questions, and I'll answer honestly. You're a bright girl, maybe you can figure out what I want with you. But, just as you can't ask the genie for three more wishes, you can't ask that question directly."

"I don't - "

"Have a choice, really. And you've already used up two questions."

"Do I get answers to those?"

"Yes, and that's your third question, then. You asked what happened. I drugged you in the restroom. You asked where you were. You're still in Canada."

"That's a little vague."

"I said I'd answer honestly, not completely."

"Fine."

.....................

"Good for you, take your time and think about it. Try to stop panicking."

"Are you going to kill me after you find out what you want?"

"I haven't decided yet. That's four."

"Why haven't you killed me already?"

"Personal reasons.......You're trying to call up Erik, aren't you? Hoping he'll help you?"

"I see you get twenty questions too."

"You need not answer."

"You love Erik."

"Is that a question?"

"No."

"Then ask one or concede defeat."

"Are your reasons strictly personal, meaning, involving only you?"

"No. That's six."

"Who else is involved?"

"You are."

"How so?"

"I'm curious about you."

"Curious about my powers?"

"No."

"Curious about the X-men?"

"Aren't you paying attention? I said this was personal, and between you and I. Very disappointing, really. Try to focus. You've already used up half your questions."

"You're curious about some facet of my life?"

"Yes."

"Past or present?"

"Past."

"What, my family or something?"

"Very good. Now you're getting warm, as the saying goes."

"I'd really be able to think a lot more clearly if you'd untie me and put that gun down."

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

"How interesting."

.........................

"Does this concern a particular member of my family, other than me?"

"In a way, I suppose. But then again perhaps you would not think so. I suppose it depends on how one defines family."

...........................

"Does this have anything to do with me being adopted?"

"Ah, very good."

"I never knew my birth parents. Those records are sealed. If you want them for some bizzaro experiment or some take-over-the-world plot - "

"That's not it at all, dear."

"Oh God. Don't tell me.....do you already know who my birth parents are?"

"Yes, I do."

...............................

"You don't know whether to ask or not, do you? Poor dear."

"I'm thinking."

"Take your time."

...............................

"All right. Who are they?"

"One of them is me, dear."

"Oh my God. Oh God."

.....................

"No more questions, then?"

"You're not going to kill me."

"Is that a question?"

"No. I can tell by how you're looking at me."

"I wanted to see your reaction when I told you. I suspected when Erik took you, but I wasn't sure. Not until a few months ago. I tracked down the records. Really, Mississippi of all places."

.................................

"Isn't there anything else you want to ask? You have more questions. You haven't gotten to twenty. And you're almost not crying."

"Just one more question. Are you going to turn me over to Sabretooth?"

"He's on your trail, and close. I should. He really quite likes you, you know. He likes the kind of woman who can blast a bullet through his brain without a second thought. Takes it as kind of a challenge. He might not kill you, you know. He might keep you as a kind of pet. Of course, those tend to wish he had just killed them in the first place."

"Great. Answer the question, please."

"I'll make you a deal, since you finished in less than twenty questions. I'll leave you here. If you can get yourself free, or if your little clawed friend finds you first, que sera, sera. If not, well, I'm sure Vic will entertain you. Au revoir then, dearest daughter."

"Mystique - "

"Yes?"

"I don't believe you."

"Yes, Marie, you do."