Eighteen Penalty Minutes


Title: Eighteen Penalty Minutes
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Summary: Sequel to Eighteen Parting Gifts. Logan and Rogue catch a Penguins-Red Wings game on a motel TV. We tune in to their conversation each time one of the hockey players heads to the sin bin.
Series: Eighteen #32
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters or hockey players. But if I did, believe me, I'd never, ever trade Darius Kasparaitis. He's a total badass. And I mean that in a good way. In a very good way. He was one of the first people ever to knock big boy Eric Lindros OUT. I mean, boom, he went DOWN. He was out before he even hit the ice. Darius is a bad, bad man, yes he is.
Archive: Ask, and I'll say go right ahead.
Feedback: Please? With a cherry on top?
Author's Notes: I was watching a game today, and at the end, one of the announcers mentioned that there had been five or six penalties totaling about eighteen minutes. It's not a sign of mental health that my first thought upon hearing that was  hey, maybe I can use that in a fic! I'm a deeply disturbed person.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Darius Kasparaitis, Penguins

2:00 for tripping at 7:41 in the First Period

"I think we should try to make the rest of the drive tomorrow."

"Yeah, me too. Be 'bout twelve hours, but we've got everythin' we need."

"I'm kind of eager to get there."

"Yeah, I can tell. What's goin' on with that, darlin'?"

"I don't know. I just have this feeling, like it's a safe place, you know? Despite what happened there with Jean before."

"We had a real nice time over the winter there. Maybe that's why you're thinkin' that."

"Logan - do you - never mind."

"What?"

"No, never mind."

"C'mon. Makes me kinda nervous when you do that."

"It's really nothing. I just thought - I was wondering if you'd tell me a little more about the time we spent there. But I kind of don't want to bring that up because I can tell it makes you sad to talk about it."

"Not sad, exactly."

"Then what?"

"I dunno. Regret. I regret that you don't remember. I really, really wish you did sometimes. You know, remember stuff, remember us."

"I'm sorry."

"No, no - darlin' I ain't upset or nothin'. I know it ain't your fault, I just...."

"You just wish I remembered."

"Yeah."

Kirk Maltby, Red Wings

2:00 for interference at 9:57 in the First Period

"Look, I didn't mean - "

"I know, I know."

"Marie, darlin', come on. You know I didn't mean it that way. I just meant, you know, I missed that you. I missed the you that remembers. Don't mean I don't love this you. Darlin', I really do. You know that."

"I know. I just - I feel jealous. She got to do all this stuff with you and she made you love her and everything, and I - I'm just me. I'm not really her, but just enough to - I don't know, make you feel like - "

"Whoa. Hold it right there. 'Cause I know both of ya well enough to tell where that's goin'. Darlin', remember when I told you that sometimes I just don't say shit right? This is one of those times."

"But you said you missed her. Her. Like she was separate from me. Like I'm not really me to you, or her, or whatever. I'm not the Marie you want."

"That's not true. I do want you. This you."

"But just because you can't - just because the old me isn't there anymore. This is the best you can do for a substitute for her."

"Oh, no, there's no substitute thing goin' on. You're - I wish I could explain how much you you are, even not rememberin'. You're still the same person. And I love that person. I just miss havin' you remember us. That's what I meant. That's all I meant. Really."

Chris Chelios, Red Wings

2:00 for boarding at 13:13 in the First Period

"I'm sorry."

"No, no, it's OK."

"I'm really sorry. I'm being selfish."

"Nah. You ain't selfish. Come on, come on over here, come on darlin'."

"I'm sorry."

"Baby, stop it, OK? I don't know what you're talkin' about. You're not selfish."

"Yeah, I kind of am, because I keep wanting you to reassure me all the time, to tell me you still love me and I'm not really ready to say those words or to show you, you know, physically, and I keep asking you to do those things for me."

"It's different 'cause I - well, 'cause I remember you. This you. One you. And I remember fallin' in love with ya. I remember bein' in love with ya. You just - you just don't remember, and I understand. Believe me, I do."

"Can I tell you something?"

"Sure."

"It might hurt a little."

"OK. Lay it on me."

"I don't want you to love her more than me."

"I love you. One you."

"But - maybe what I'm trying to say is that I don't want you - I don't want those memories to be more important than the ones we make now. I mean, I - it's not like I want you to forget, or for those memories not to mean anything. I just - I just don't want it to mean more than now. Is that - am I making any sense?"

"Yeah."

"That did hurt. I'm sorry."

"It hurt a little. 'Cause sometimes I think now, what you remember now, it ain't enough. It ain't enough to.....I dunno, to make this thing between us work right. I don't know if there's been enough good stuff. Most of the good stuff is from before. Hurts that you don't remember that - those good things. Hurts that this - what's happened lately - is all you know about life with me. Me not bein' able to protect you, me gettin' you hurt. I guess I am hangin' on to those old memories so tight 'cause I did a few things right in 'em."

Brendan Shanahan, Red Wings

2:00 for hooking at 1:24 in the Second Period

"What about the way you fixed things between us after Mystique?"

"You helped me along there, darlin'."

"Yeah, but that was a good thing you did. And what about making me talk it out with you in the medlab even though you could barely speak?"

"That's just doin' what you needed, darlin'. Takin' care of ya what little I could right then. Nothin' to it."

"I got it."

"What?"

"I know why this is bugging you. You think that because there's no big dramatic thing - like the Statue of Liberty, when you saved me - you think that there's not enough good stuff because none of the good stuff is really like that - big and heroic, like in a movie."

"Maybe. There's no - I came through for you then. I haven't been doin' so good at that lately. Shit, I promised Sabretooth wouldn't ever lay another hand on ya, and then....I've just been fuckin' up lately."

"But that's not why I loved you."

"Darlin', it's part of it, I think so."

"Not that you did come through. That's not part of it. It's the part of it where I know you'd give anything, do anything to try to come through. That's what counted with me."

"Don't - don't get pissed off, but how can you be sure?"

"Because you said I was still the same basic me, and that's what's important to me now."

Darren McCarty, Red Wings

5:00 for fighting at 18:44 in the Second Period

"And I like your eyes. They're the perfect shade of hazel."

"Hmm....what else?"

"Your lips. They're very soft. And your hands. They feel good on me, and they're strong."

"You said - never mind."

"Oh, no fair, if I don't get to do that, neither do you."

"You said that once before, that you liked my hands."

"Well, I've always had good taste."

"Love you."

"Hush. This is supposed to be me telling you things for a change, sugar."

"Oh yeah."

"I like your voice. I like how it sounds when you say my name. I like that you're the only one who calls me Marie. I like keeping that just between us. I like the way you let me curl all up to you when we sleep. I like that you don't complain when I drool on you a little."

"Or a lot."

"Hey! Have I mentioned your sense of humor yet? Because that one may or may not make the list....."

"I like yours."

"Hush. Me telling you, remember?"

"OK, darlin'."

"I like how you always watch me. When we were at the mansion, before that too, you're always watching me to be sure I'm OK. I like that. I like to watch you too, you know. When you're sleeping, or singing with the radio, or shaving."

"You've been watching me shave?"

"Yeah. And I watch you smoke sometimes - when you're just enjoying a cigar. And when you're putting on your boots. And when you're putting gas in the car. What?"

"I didn't know that."

"Well, now you do. See? Me telling you things, you finding things out. Works pretty well, huh?"

"Would you tell me somethin' in particular?"

"Sure."

"You're always sayin' I'm beautiful and watchin' me - why? I ain't much to look at, not like Remy or you know, one of those pretty boys. I ain't....you know, well-groomed or classy."

"You're kidding, right? You're unbelievably, absolutely, amazingly beautiful. I can hardly take my eyes off you. You're just perfect."

Darius Kasparaitis, Penguins

5:00 for fighting at 5:39 in the Third Period

"Mmmmm....."

"You really should have asked me to do this before. I like it."

"Me too. I didn't wanna - I was just happy you were sleepin' with me in bed, you know? Figured I'd let you take the lead with any of the other stuff."

"Well, anytime the words 'back' and 'rub' enter your brain from now on, you just feel free to ask."

"Will do. I used to give you them too, darlin'."

"Ooooh. Me next. Me next then. I'm just about done."

"OK. Ah, gloves or clothes?"

"Huh?"

"Sometimes you used to like them over your clothes with my bare hands and sometimes under your shirt with gloves."

"Hard to pick between those."

"You alternated, I think."

"Remember where we left off?"

"I think gloves, but we can do the other one if you want."

"No - gloves. That sounds good. But do you think you might want to kiss me first?"

"Huh?"

"Do you think you'd like to kiss me first, then backrub or vice versa?"

"Marie.........You sure?"

"Yeah, sugar. Actually, I'm way overdue for a kiss from you, aren't I?"

"Marie, you - "

"I was thinking of asking you when we were at the restaurant, just before we got taken. Then, I was thinking of asking you in the medlab, when you were up and about. Then, I thought of asking you this morning, when I woke up and you were holding me and giving me such a nice head rub. I'm really, really hoping for one now. You know, first, before the back rub."

"I can do that."

"Good."

"Darlin'? It's gonna be OK, don't you worry. I mean it."

"I know. It'll be better than OK. I have a lot of faith in your ability to see to that. But hey - are you going to make with the kissing or what?"

"Right now, darlin'."