Eighteen Parting Gifts

Title: Eighteen Parting Gifts
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG
Summary: Sequel to Eighteen Relationships in Progress. Logan and Rogue find some surprises, courtesy of Kitty and Jubilee.
Series: Eighteen #31
Disclaimer: I don't own them. In fact, they might own me by now......
Archive: Ask and I'll say - Sure, why not?
Feedback: Please? Although the surgeon general warns it may lead to more fic
Author's Notes: Just another one of these that's a little interlude..dedicated to/inspired by my brbf, who once snuck in a present (and, no, I'm NOT going to tell what was in her "Terri" box. I don't want you all to think I'm any weirder than you probably already do) when I went on a long driving trip. You rock, bud, and these stories would be totally crappy without you.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"What're these?"

"Oh, God, I think they're from Jubilee and Kitty. They threatened to do something like this."

"Why is there one with my name on it?"

"They're presents, a box for me, and a box for you. Jubes said we needed 'parting gifts' and I told her no, but....."

"But she hid 'em in the back under some blankets."

"Yeah."

"Well, wanna open 'em?"

"Uh...."

"What, what's wrong?"

"I'm just a little worried about what's in there. I mean, you know Jubilee's sense of humor."

"Yeah, but we gotta open them eventually, right? Why not now?"

"Well, we're in a restaurant parking lot. In public. There could be some embarrassing things in there. Plus, the Professor gave us a new Jeep and everything. I mean, what if she put something that stains or something exploding in there? The Cherokee could get trashed."

"Hmmm. You got a point. Let's take 'em outta the car."

"You're curious, aren't you?"

"Kinda."

"Well, OK then, but remember, I told her NOT to do this. You know, just in case there is something awful or embarrassing in there. And you go first."

"All right, darlin'......well, that's interestin'."

"Is that - that's a bag of beef jerky."

"Yeah."

"Well, that's not too bad. That's actually kind of useful."

"Yeah. There's more stuff in here. Whoa....."

"What?"

"Um, you don't wanna know."

"Come on....Oh! I mean....oh."

"Look, it's not a comment on anythin'. She probably did it just to be funny or somethin'."

"That's a lot of condoms. More than, you know, strictly necessary just to be funny."

"It's not really that many, I mean we - "

"What?"

"Nothin'. Nothin'. Let's see what else we got."

"I'm almost afraid to, now."

"These're nice."

"Yeah. Very thin for a guy's pair of gloves. That was nice."

"Leather, too. Musta been expensive. Think I'm gonna put 'em on now, break 'em in."

"What's that?"

"It's a Chilton's for the Jeep, a repair manual. Funny."

"Why is that funny? Oh, wait, because the last one always broke down a lot, right?"

"Yeah. Look at this - little refrigerator magnet shaped like a Wolverine. Ha, ha."

"Oh, come on. That's cute. What else is in there?"

"More food - Doritos, Pretzels, Cheetos. Guess she thought I'd be hungry."

"She probably thought you might not see those kind of snacks for a while if we stay up at the cabin through the fall and winter."

"Yeah. Guess that was kinda thoughtful."

"Anything else?"

"Yeah. Aha! You know, I always liked that girl...."

"She must know you pretty well - Molson Canadian."

"You just remember it's my present, darlin'."

"Are you saying you won't share with me?"

"Maybe. Might be feelin' generous, you never know."

"I bet I can convince you."

............................

"Um, I mean, uh....let's open mine."

"OK, darlin'."

"You can stop it with that look, mister."

"You're blushin'."

"Because you're teasing me."

"I didn't say anythin'."

"You did the thing. The thing with the eyebrow. You know you did."

"I thought you liked that thing."

"I didn't say I didn't, just that.....let's open my present."

"You're in a real good mood. You're flirtin' with me a little."

"Well, it's good to be away from the mansion again. And, besides, you're in a good mood too. You're liking it."

"Sure am. Could do with some more."

"Let's just see what I got, OK? Plenty of time for flirting later. Hmm....a book. The Complete Works of Anna Ahkmatova. I don't remember - did I like her?"

"Yeah, yeah you did. Sent me a couple letters with poems from her."

"I'll have to read it. What's this? Oh, a canvas, right? Paint and a set of brushes too. That was really nice."

"Yeah. Lookin' forward to seein' more paintings, darlin'."

"Me too. I mean, I'm looking forward to giving it a try."

"What else ya got?"

"Don't get your hopes up, I don't think there's any beer."

"Damn."

"Oh - that's nice - shower gel and moisturizer. Hmm. I guess I liked Sage?"

"Yeah. Smells good on ya."

"Oh, well, good.  What - what am I going to do with a box of a dozen black tights? I mean I'm - oh, yeah, I remember now. Ahem."

"I guess she, um, wanted ya to layer, for warmth."

"Right. Sure. You know, I think that girl's a nymphomaniac. She needs a boyfriend."

"Can't help ya there, I'm taken."

"There you go with the flirting again."

"It's not really a deterrent when you say it teasin' like that, darlin'."

"I wasn't teasing. I was being very, very serious."

"Uh-huh. Sure. Anythin' else in there?"

"Yeah, let me get it.....hmm. Cell phone. With a big yellow label that says 'Emergency Use Only - Calling Will Alert the X-Men.' And in little print - 'Jubilee's Bad Guy Ass-Kicking Guaranteed or Your Money Back.' That's nice, I guess."

"We won't need it."

"It was a nice thought, anyway."

"I guess."

"You're not in a hurry to see them again, I know, and, believe me, I'm with you there."

"I didn't mean that you gotta avoid 'em 'cause of me, you know. I mean, some of 'em are your friends."

"Yeah. 'Ro. And Jubilee and Kitty."

"Yeah."

"That's about it."

"Yeah. Well, the Professor, he likes ya. And Scooter - um, Scott - I think he really does care about ya some."

"I don't think I really trust him. Plus, he's married to Jean. I guess Remy is a friend, even if we're not being friends right now, you know, with the Kitty thing."

"I don't trust him either, darlin'. He's always been after ya."

"Don't worry. He's not my type."

"No? Handsome and smooth ain't your type?"

"No. I go for the kind of guy who's handsome, sure, but he's got to be all growly and buff. With pointy hair. And some really, really quality mutton chops. You know, the kind of guy who risks his life for you on a regular basis. The kind of guy who's strong, and supportive, and patient, and kind....."

"I ain't all that, darlin'."

"Yeah, you are. You really are. Let's see what else - looks like there's one more thing."

"Whatcha got?"

"Hmm. Looks like a drawing, but a stick figure - did I do this?"

"Oh. Oh, no, darlin'. I did that one. It's, um, supposed to be you."

"You drew me?"

"Yeah. I, uh, wanted to remind you why you might wanna stick with me, you know. It was after we'd had a little fight and all, and I just thought if I gave you somethin' that would remind you that things between us could be good, real good, you might be a little more inclined to stick around. Just a little somethin' to make you smile, that's all."

"I loved it to pieces, right?"

"Yeah. Musta been in with your stuff that was brought to the lodge after you got sick. Wonder how they found it."

"Maybe I told them about it."

"Maybe."

"Are these your tags there?"

"Yeah."

"I've got lots of hair in this one, don't I?"

"Yeah. I ain't such a good artist. You're definitely the talented one, darlin'."

"Well, I like it. Best present of the bunch."

"You're biased."

"There you go flirting with me again."

"Yeah, guess I kinda can't help it."

"Oh, I wasn't asking you to stop."

"Why you little vixen....."

"Hey Logan?"

"Yeah?"

"I like you. I really, really like you a lot."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Good. Because I love you. A lot."

"Enough to share that Molson with me?"

"We'll see, darlin'. We'll see."