Eighteen Relationships in Progress

Title: Eighteen Relationships in Progress
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG-13
Summary: Sequel to Eighteen Things Known To Be True. Lots of the X-men relationships are changing, some for the better, some not.
Series: Eighteen #30
Disclaimer: Not mine, any of them.
Archive: Ask, and I'll say yes.
Feedback: Please? With a chocolate-covered Logan on top?
Author's Notes: Um, you know how I usually use this space to bitch about how long some of these take to write? Well, this one didn't. That's why you're getting it so soon. Oh, yeah, and about the story - since by this point, everyone's relationships are kind of in tatters, I thought I'd better try to at least address some of those lingering issues. And I emphasize the word "try." Some of our X-people are a little better at this stuff than others. For example, Marie vs. Jean. Compare and contrast..And one final warning: Writer not responsible for the uncontrollable urge to bitch-slap any of the fictional characters portrayed below.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Jubilee and Rogue

"Glad you're feeling better, chica." She looks a little better too. Looks tired - you know, like, totally emotionally tired - but better. "You and Wolvie thinking about blowing this popsicle stand?"

"Yeah, probably today or tomorrow. Thanks for coming down to stay with us, Jubes. I can't tell you how much I appreciate having you around."

"No problemo. Happy to serve. Hey - the Prof said he wanted to see you if you had a few minutes this morning. He said he could come down here or you could go to his office or whatever." She's still a little flinchy when I mention him. Wonder what was said when he came down here?

"I'd rather go to his office, I think. Did he say when? Did he say who else would be there?"

"Uh, just anytime this morning, and I think just him. Want me to come with?"

"Maybe...I don't know. I know I sound paranoid. I just - I just don't know who to trust, you know? I don't....I don't remember any of these people, and since I've met them, they haven't been so great. Well, except for you. You've been really great. And I do trust you, you know."

"I'm really glad, 'cause we were best buds. And you can totally trust me. You know, if ever you need me for something, I'm here. That's the roomate code. Well, that, and, never borrow clothes without asking." Good - I missed hearing the Rogue's laugh.

"I think I can abide by that. And - the same goes for me. I mean, if you ever need me, or us, for anything, we're there."

"Pinkie swear?" She always used to pinkie swear the big stuff. I wonder if she even remembers how to do it. I got it - I'll hold out my pinkie first. She'll catch on, and no amnesia-embarrassment shall ensue.

"Yeah. Pinkie swear." Whew. Successful pinkie swear. That feels good - feels like we're getting back to where we were. Feels like we're really, really starting to be friends again. Finally.

Scott and Charles

"Any further update?"

"Sabretooth was taken to Vancouver, to be formally charged. However, he has disappeared - the armored truck and convoy carrying him has vanished without a trace as well. My guess would be that whoever in the government was experimenting on him before found out about the arrest and decided they wanted him back."

"Very unfortunate."

"Yes, sir, well, let me take this opportunity to apologize again for the poor execution of our mission. It was - "

"Scott, Scott, you need not apologize. It was a difficult mission. And you did quite well to convince Rogue to return here for medical treatment. I knew she was afraid and angry at us, especially Jean, but even I underestimated the depth of those feelings."

"I understand that your talk with her about Jean didn't go well."

"It was a mistake. At that time - fresh from the trauma of the events - she was not prepared to speak about it. And I do not blame her. It was a mistake made in my haste to resolve the situation and make Rogue feel more comfortable with us. You know, I have missed her too."

"We all have. Professor, I was hoping to talk with her. I know she may not agree, and I won't push it, but, I feel like I need to try. I can't just leave things between us as they are. And I know she's not ready to see Jean, but she may be more amenable to talking with me, at least a little."

"I would suggest asking Jubilee to probe the issue with her. I hope to speak with Rogue myself later this morning, but I am unsure how she will receive me. She may still be angry at my overture regarding Jean."

"Good suggestion, sir. I'll do that."

"And Scott - I want you to know, I am very proud of you, all of you. I know I've come down hard on you, especially after these last few run-ins with Sabretooth, and after the situation with Rogue. You've made mistakes, some of them serious, but you shouldn't feel that you've let me down in any way. What we do - it's difficult work. It's not always clear what the right thing to do is. And trying to do good isn't a simple thing. Not simple at all."

"Yes, sir."

Jubilee and Logan

"Shouldn't you be goin' with her?"

"She said she wanted to go herself. I asked Kitty to shadow her a little anyway. You know, to prevent any Jean-sightings. I think that's the only thing that will incite a freak-o-rama. Besides, she told me to stay here and watch you."

"I don't need a damn babysitter."

"No, you need a Wolvie-sitter. You're still not 100% kick-ass yet."

"Well, I'm plenty good enough to kick the sorry ass of everyone in this place."

"Whoa, there Mr. Bad-Ass. Just hang on a second. 'Cause you've never tangled with me. I'm ass-kickeriffic. I can totally take you."

"That's funny."

"Hey, don't laugh! I'm wily. I can kick butt when I need to."

"Uh-huh."

"You know, I don't know what my girl sees in you sometimes. All that sarcasm is bad for the mood."

"Rogue don't seem to mind it."

"Well, that's 'cause she's got a mega-dose of you in her head. The rest of us haven't been vaccinated, so ease up on the snarkiness."

"Yeah, yeah. Hey look, I've been meanin' to say thanks. You know, for lookin' out for her and all. She needs a friend."

"Yeah, well, you don't hafta thank me, like I said, it's all part of the roommate code. Services provided free of charge, emotional or otherwise."

"The roomate code?"

"Yeah."

"What the hell is that?"

"Are you ever gonna borrow my clothes?"

"Uh, no."

"Well, then don't sweat it, Wolvmeister."

"Stop calling me that."

"Why? It's cute."

"No, no it's just annoying."

"Wolvmeister, Wolvmeister, Wolvmeister....."

"Stop it."

"Wolvie, Wolvster, Wolv-man....."

"I said stop it. Aren't you supposed to be taking care of me or something? Being nice?"

"Hey, I said I'd watch your back, I never said I'd be nice to it."

Charles and Rogue

"Thank you so much for coming." He doesn't look scary. Then again, neither does Jean at first.

"You're welcome, Professor."

"I wanted to begin by apologizing for our earlier conversation. It was very poor timing and poor judgment on my part."

"OK." I don't really want to say I accept his apology, or that it's OK, what he did. I just want to give him some indication that I understand. I don't really know him well enough to know if he really means it. I think he might, but....

"I also wanted to update you on the latest news on Sabretooth and Mystique."

Oh, God. "Have you found her?"

"No. Law enforcement officials are still searching for her. And I will continue to search using Cerebro - has someone explained about Cerebro to you, Rogue?"

"Yes, Logan did." The big round room with the brain-finding thing. Scary invention. He could find us anytime he wants.

"Ah, good. In any case, I will continue to search using Cerebro, but Mystique has proven hard to detect. I suspect that whatever Magneto knew about evading detection with Cerebro has been passed on to her."

"Can you find Sabretooth with it?" Hard to imagine him being bright enough to find a way around it.

"Yes. Unfortunately, I have some bad news regarding Sabretooth."

Stay calm, stay calm, Rogue. "Yes?"

"He has disappeared. He was being taken to be arraigned, and the entire convoy, including him, has simply disappeared."

"Oh, God. He'll come after me now, won't he?"

"I cannot say for certain, but, under the circumstances, it appears that he may have been abducted by the government branch that had previously experimented on him. It would have been an optimal time to recapture him, in their eyes."

"So you don't think he'll come after me?" I suppose it could be good news, or, at least not such bad news, that Sabretooth'll be occupied with horribly painful experiments for a while.

"Not if the government has him, no. I cannot locate him with Cerebro at this point, and that seems to confirm this hypothesis. I will continue to monitor for him, though, and I will warn you should I detect him again."

"Warn me how?" I don't want him going into my head. Not at all. Not even for that.

"Well, that is up to you. I must admit, I was hoping to more gracefully bring this topic up, but I wanted to discuss with you your future plans."

"I'm not staying here." Don't even think it, Professor. There's no way.

"I understand that. But I was hoping that you might consider keeping in touch."

"Not using my head."

"No, no, I wouldn't suggest that. I was thinking of perhaps the more conventional means of letters, or perhaps phone calls."

"I don't know...." The only one I'd really want to talk to here is Jubilee. Everybody else, I can pretty much do without.

"Give it some thought. You don't have to decide now. I was also hoping that we might talk openly a little. That you might share with me some of your feelings about us, about our relationship. We were quite close, once, and I was hoping we might take a step toward getting to know one another again."

"I don't remember you at all." That's true. Not even one tiny bit. Nothing.

"Yes, I know. That must make it difficult for you to trust me. I suppose my conduct in the medlab earlier didn't help matters."

"Frankly? It didn't." It really, really didn't.

"It was a mistake."

"Can I ask you something? Why do you care so much about Jean?"

"Well, Rogue, Jean was one of my very first students, one of the first pupils at this school. I have known her more than half her life. I have seen her struggle to control her powers, like most students, and I have seen her make errors in the proper use of those powers, like most students. I suppose I can empathize with Jean more than most since our powers are similar."

"Don't ask me to empathize with her." Because I don't care how much she struggled, or how close she is to everyone else. She hurt me. She chose to hurt me.

"I wouldn't expect that, not in the present situation. You cannot remember it, but you and Jean were close once. You went shopping together, you conversed over ice cream in the kitchen."

"Maybe I just didn't realize what she was really like then."

"That is a possibility. But relationships are more complex than that. People are not static - they change, they act out of character on occasion."

"Yes, well, her little detour from 'character' cost me a lot. Hard to forget a thing like that." I still wake up feeling that stab into my head sometimes, still smelling the blood in nightmares. She could've taken everything from me - what little was left - in that moment, and that's just not the kind of thing you forget.

"I understand, I do. And I won't rush you to mend fences with Jean. But I suppose I want to remind you that your relationship to her wasn't always as it is now. In case, one day, you decide to explore a new friendship with her. And I want to remind you that I don't care only for Jean. I care quite a bit for you as well, Rogue, and I will always be here if ever you find yourself in need."

"Professor - can I ask you a question?" I've been wondering about this ever since the memory thing. It just feels so out of place to me. "Why is everybody like that with me? Why does everybody assume some kind of responsibility to take care of me? I mean, I can understand it with Logan - we're, you know, lovers, and we take care of each other - but why is everybody else like that?"

"It is a good question, and I think your observation is quite correct. I suppose it is partially because we care. I suppose it is partially because when you came to us, you were hurt quite badly by Magneto and we wanted to be sure you would be safe from then on. But mostly, I suppose it is simply because you evoke that reaction in so many people - a caring, a concern for you."

"I can take care of myself."

"Yes, you can. Quite well. But that doesn't mean that we don't want to as well or that you cannot ask for help. When you go, we will be here if you need us."

"Thank you, Professor. I'm glad we talked." And I am. He does seem genuinely concerned for me. He does.

"As am I. Will we speak again before you depart?"

"Yes. Yes, I'll let you know when we're getting ready to go."

"Very good. Enjoy your day, Rogue. And remember, my door is always open."

"Professor - I accept. Your apology, I mean. I accept."

That's the first time he's looked happy - not just trying to project calm or whatever - this whole time. "Thank you, Rogue. Thank you very much."

Jean and Logan

"Ooohhhh no. I have very specific orders to keep you outta here, Mrs. Summers."

"Jubilee, I wish to speak with Logan, and I really think you're not the one to make the decision that - "

"It's OK. Come on in, Jeannie. I've been wantin' to talk to ya anyway."

"Whoa, whoa, we're talking major Rogue freakage here."

"So stay outside. Keep a lookout for her."

"No can do Wolvmeister. She said stay here. With you. If she found out I left you alone with Mrs. Summers, she'd -"

"Fine, fine, stay here then. Whatever. Just keep your mouth shut, OK? And, um, go stand over there. And don't listen in."

"OK, dude, if you're sure."

...................................................

"Logan, this is a private conversation, and I don't think it's appropriate for Jubilee to - "

"She stays. Look, Jeannie, we need to have a few things out."

"I agree. I was hoping that you might - "

"I think you better hear me out first. I ain't got a whole lot to say."

"All right."

"What you did to her, it hurt her bad."

"Logan, don't you think I feel terrible about that?"

"Honest, Jeannie? I dunno. I think you're sorry she got hurt, sure, but I don't think ya see anythin' wrong with what you did."

"I was only trying to help her Logan, surely you have to realize that."

"I dunno about that either. I don't think you like her too much, Jeannie."

"That's ridiculous! Of course I like her - I love her, she's like a sister to me!"

"Nah. She ain't. I don't know what she is to you, but it ain't that. There's some part of ya that's....I dunno - mad or some shit. You weren't only tryin' to help her. You were tryin' to force somethin' on her, or take somethin' away from her. Maybe you didn't like havin' her be somethin' you didn't plan on."

"Are you implying that I'm - what? Jealous?"

"Yeah, I'm sayin' you're jealous of her."

"What, because of you? That's completely absurd! Of all the egotistical things to say - "

"Ain't egotistical. I can tell you wanna fuck me. I can smell it. And she's the one fuckin' me now, so you don't like it. Ain't sayin' that's why you did what you did to her head, just sayin' it's in there."

"That's possibly the most crude thing anyone has ever said to me in my whole life. How dare you? I'm married to, and in love with, and fucking Scott."

"Yeah."

"You and I could never be - "

"Yeah, Jeannie, we could be. We coulda been. But it ain't gonna happen now. Or ever. 'Cause of what you did to Marie. Even if, God forbid, I lost her or some shit, I wouldn't come runnin' to you."

"I can't believe you're saying this, I came here to talk about - "

"Nah. You didn't come here to talk at all. You came here to test the waters. To see what's what between me and her since she lost her memories. To see if I'd come on to you. Besides, you know how pissed at you and afraid of you she is. Knowin' that, why the hell else would you be down here? Sure as shit ain't somethin' designed to make Rogue feel any better. Ain't about her at all."

"That is so far from the truth that it's not funny. Is this what I get for trying to help you? Is this the thanks I get?"

"Didn't ask for your help, not this time. Not plannin' on it again."

"Is that it, then? Are you done insulting me?"

"Ain't insultin' ya, Jeannie, just tellin' the truth. And I got one more thing to say. You ever hurt Rogue again, good intentions or no, I'll fuckin' gut ya. We clear?"

"Goodbye, Logan."

........................................

"Whoa, dude. That was heavy."

"You weren't supposed to be listenin'."

"I didn't hear a thing. And even if I did, my lips are sealed."

"Keep it that way. Rogue don't need to hear none of this shit right now, all right?"

"Comprendo. Absolutamente."

Scott and Rogue

"Rogue? Rogue can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Um, I'd really rather not."

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to just surprise you in the hallway like that. But I saw you coming, and I just - I um, just wanted to talk. Just for a minute. Please?"

"Uh...."

"Would you - would you be more comfortable talking somewhere else? Maybe the kitchen?"

"No, no, just, um, say what you have to say now."

"Listen, Rogue, I'm so sorry we were too late last time with Sabretooth. You know, to prevent.....what happened. I'm sorry."

"Is that all you wanted to say?"

"No, I, uh, wanted to apologize generally, you know, for everything. I know you don't remember me, but we used to be pretty good friends. I even - I even saved your life once."

"I didn't know that."

"Yes, it was when Storm and I rescued you and Logan from Sabretooth, when you first came here. You were stuck in Logan's truck. Your seatbelt was stuck and the truck was on fire, and I blasted it, with my eyes."

"Oh. Well, um, thank you for that. I'm sure I appreciated it."

"You don't have to - look, can I - can I maybe just start all over?"

"Uh, sure."

"I really miss you. We used to - I mean, I know this probably doesn't really mean anything to you right now - but we used to talk a lot. About life and things. And I miss that. I know - I know we've kind of had a rough time lately. But I don't want you to be afraid of me."

"But I am."

"Why, Rogue? Can I - can I ask why?"

"You don't like Logan."

"It's - it's not that I don't like him, Rogue. I just don't think he's the best guy to have in your life."

"Is it because of Jean? Because he flirted with Jean?"

"Maybe, a little. But it's mostly that I'm just scared for you. You don't - you're really young, and all this with losing your memories - I'm afraid he's taking advantage of you."

"He's not. I would know."

"But I know you have strong feelings for him, and - "

"Um, Scott? I don't mean to interrupt you, but I really, really trust Logan. I have a feeling that before, I was really in love with him. I know you might have cared about me in the past or whatever, but if you want to be friends again, I don't think we can if you're not friends with Logan. He's the most important thing in my life. If you don't like him and don't want me to be with him, well, that's just the way it is."

"Rogue - "

"Don't touch me!"

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to - I just - I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to touch your arm."

"Don't just go touching me like that. I don't like it. I don't know you. We're not friends now."

"O-OK. I won't - I'll be very sure not to do that again. I promise."

"You don't want to be friends, do you? You just want me to see things your way."

"No, no, that's not true. I do want us to be friends, I do. Even if you want to stay with Logan, I do. I'm really very sorry, Rogue. For - for touching you just now, and for everything. I just want us to be friends."

"Then don't force it. If you really want to be friends, if that's why you're saying this and not - not just because you want to make yourself feel better or because you're trying to get at Logan, then don't force it."

"OK, OK. I won't. I'll just - I'll just let you decide how to proceed. Would that be OK?"

"Yes. That would be better."

"OK, then. Just - just don't rule it out, OK? Don't rule out us being friends again. Please."

"I don't think....."

"OK, I understand. I do. You - you go on ahead back to the medlab. I'm sure Logan's anxious to see you. Have - have a good day."

"OK. Um, you too."

Hank and Logan

"And how is my star patient this fine afternoon?"

"Fine. I don't need to be here any more."

"Well, I might actually agree with that sentiment, looking at these reports. You appear almost fully recovered. Still having some weakness in the large muscle groups?"

"No."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. I'm fine."

"Good to hear. However, I would consider it highly advisable for you to take at least one more dose of the antidote. It should give your healing factor that last little boost needed to propel you to completely robust health."

"Fine. Can I go then?"

"I do believe I can sign off on that. I would advise taking a batch of the antidote with you, should the forces of darkness descend upon you again, but, otherwise, I would say that you are free to go."

"Thanks."

"It is my job, kind sir."

"And, um, thanks for bein' nice to Rogue. She needed a friend and you made it a lot less scary for her. I really appreciate it."

"Ah, well, that was truly my pleasure, no thanks necessary. And I hope that you both know - should you ever require medical assistance in the future - that I will happily attend to your needs."

"Sure. Thanks again, Hank. You're a real....you know....guy."

"Same to you, my friend. And if you are looking for Rogue, I believe she is upstairs at the moment."

Ororo and Rogue

"Rogue?" What is it with people stopping me in the hall? I should've stayed in the medlab.

"Yes?"

"I am Ororo. Storm. Pleased to meet you."

"Hello." Jubilee said she was my friend, and that she was cooler than Jean. Good. At least I hope that means there's not going to be any attempted homicide going on.

"I hope you are feeling well."

"I'm feeling better, thanks." She does seem nice. She's beautiful too. Wonder why Logan picked Jean to flirt with and not her?

"I am glad to hear it. Do you have a moment?"

"Um, I was headed back downstairs, but, OK."

"I just wanted to mention to you that I will be in the gardens later today. In the past, you have sometimes liked to spend time there, drawing or painting, and conversing. You found it very restful. I thought that perhaps you may like to do so again. I would be happy to show you the location, if you like."

That was really....considerate. And not at all pushy. "That would be nice. Maybe later I'll come out and take a look."

"Very well. Enjoy the rest of your stay."

She is really nice. I'm glad I had some nice friends, you know - easy to be around, without all the complications and drama. "Thanks, Ororo. Wait - is that what I used to call you? Or did I call you Storm?"

"Actually, you used to address me as 'Ro. But please feel free to use whatever you are most comfortable with."

"Thanks, 'Ro."

Scott and Logan

"Oof!"

"Sorry. Sorry.....Logan."

"One-eye. Seen Rogue?"

"Yes, I just spoke with her. She was headed down the hall, back downstairs, I believe. Have you seen Jean?"

"Yeah. Was talkin' to her in the medlab a few minutes ago."

"I'd appreciate it if you stayed away from my wife, Logan."

"Yeah, well, right back at ya."

"She's not your wife."

"Same thing."

"Fine. Whatever."

"You got somethin' to say? Spit it out."

..............

"Well?"

"How's Rogue doing?"

"She's - she's doin' better, I think."

"Good. I'm sorry, you know, that we didn't get there sooner."

"Oh. Me too."

"Take care of her, Logan."

"Ya don't hafta tell me to do that, Summers."

Hank and Rogue

"Hank? Is Logan around?"

"Ah, hello. No, I believe you just missed him. He went upstairs in search of you."

"Oh, OK. Well, I guess I'll just go back up then. Thanks."

"Rogue? May I detain you for a moment to ask how you are feeling?"

"I'm just fine, Hank. Logan's healing power did it's thing."

"I intended the question more metaphysically than physically, more cerebrally than corporeally."

"Oh. Well, I think I'm maintaining, you know, keeping it together. I talked a little with Logan, and that helped. And I think I'll feel a lot better when we can leave."

"Yes, well, please feel free to avail yourself of me at any time should you find yourself in need of a listening ear or a blue, furry shoulder."

"I like your fur. It's neat."

"Why, thank you my dear. It is quite the unique feature, is it not?"

"Quite. Hank - could I - could I ask you a question?"

"But of course."

"Would you promise not to tell Logan? Could you keep it just between us?"

"Certainly. You have my most solemn word."

"You know what Sabretooth - what he did to me, right?"

"Yes."

"If it were you - if you were in Logan's shoes, and had to watch someone you cared about go through....that....how would you feel about it?"

"Homicidal. Enraged. I do not think that even I could find words to adequately express the scope and intensity of my feelings."

"Would you - would you feel that way all the time, you know, every time you looked at the person would you be thinking about all that stuff that happened? Would it just always be a reminder?"

"Hmmm. Honestly?"

"Yes."

"I think I would always be reminded how lucky I was to still have that person in my life, alive and well. I think I would be reminded how precious that person was to me, and how much I wished never to see them injured in any way, ever again. But most of all, I think I would be reminded how fragile life is, how easily those we love can be taken away from us. But that is not what I think Logan thinks when he looks at you now, if that is truly what you are asking."

"What do you think he thinks?"

"I think he worries for you. I think he thinks he needs to help you through this but he's not sure he's doing the right things. I think he thinks about how very much he loves you and how very much he doesn't want to lose you. He has been through a lot himself in the past few months, or so I understand. But I only see him thinking of you, always. He thinks of you as all things good in his life, my dear, and from what I can tell, his assessment is not far astray."

"You see all that?"

"Yes."

"Just that?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely, positively, no doubt about it. I am a scientist, my dear. Observation is my forte."

"Whew. Thanks. You know, you make a pretty good psychiatrist in a pinch, too."

Ororo and Logan

"'Ro. Seen Rogue around here?"

"Yes, I have. She is returning to the medlab, I believe in search of you."

"Thanks."

"I invited her to join me in the gardens later. You are welcome as well."

"She said she'd go?"

"She said maybe."

"Well...that's good. She, uh, she always liked you."

"And I, her."

"Thanks for not, you know, bein' a bitch about me, about us."

"You need not thank me for that, Logan."

"Yeah, but you're one of the only X-men that don't think I'm some asshole, some plague on her life."

"Of course not. Rogue has always had good judgment. And, Logan, she loves you."

"Not now, 'Ro. Shit, she barely remembers me."

"She risked her life for you, Logan. Her mind may not remember, but her heart does."

"I hope you're right about that, 'Ro. I really do."

Kitty and Rogue

"Hey." I bet she doesn't remember me at all. Just some little kid, some little girl that she used to live with.

"Hey. Um, Kitty, right?" See, she doesn't remember.

"Right. Jubes asked me to come down and stay with you for a little while - she had to shower and organize the bottom of her closet. It was beginning to freak her out, some of the shoes were out of place."

"Oh, um, thanks. I was just going to go look for Logan." She looks totally uncomfortable around me. Totally tense. Just like she's looked with almost everybody else. Really freaky.

"I think he's upstairs."

"Oh. OK. Well, I wonder if I should go look for him or just go back to the medlab and wait."

"Whatever." I'd prefer it if you stayed down here, and away from my man, but, whatever.

"Ah, Kitty, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Are you - um, Jubes mentioned that you were dating Remy."

Oh no, don't even think it, girl. "Yeah, I am. And you know what? Everything's going really, really well. He hardly ever talks about you at all anymore."

"Oh, good." How can she say that? Just so casual, like he's nothing to her. That's pissing me off. "Because I - well, Jubes said we were all roommates, and I was kind of hoping you and I could be friends again, but I'd understand if you didn't want to be because of Remy or something."

Actually.... "No, no it's not bothering me."

"Good. And - thanks."

"No problem. I mean, Remy, he was into you for a while, yeah, and after that whole I-lost-her-to-Sabretooth-and-she-saved-my-life episode, he was a little obsessive about it, but, you know, now he's so totally over it."

"I saved his life? I don't remember that."

Well, isn't that convenient, Ms. Amnesia? "Yeah. You went with Sabretooth because he threatened to kill Remy. Or at least that's what Remy said."

"Oh. Well. I'm sure I didn't do it to, you know, make you mad or anything."

"Of course not." I wish she'd stop being so nice about everything. I mean, she's totally giving me the picture that she's not into Remy at all, even a little bit. She's acting like she doesn't even want him to be into her. I mean, come on. Even if she's happy with Wolvie, who wouldn't want a guy like Remy to be totally in love with them. Even if she wasn't going to do anything about it now, what does it hurt to have an ace in the hole, right?

"And I'm really glad you two are happy."

"We totally are." I mean, even if it doesn't really mean anything, who doesn't like to be flirted with? "He's a great guy."

"I'm sure he must be, I mean, since you're dating him and all. I don't think I would've had roommates with bad taste in men. I mean, I had to get my good taste from somewhere, right?"

Trying to joke, huh? Well, it does kinda sound like the old Rogue. "Absolutely. If it weren't for Jubes and me, you'd probably be dating, oh, I don't know, some high schooler now. Probably one of the really geeky ones."

"Oh, the horror."

"Yeah, none of them even have any body hair. We can see you like 'em nice and hairy." She's - I've actually missed her. You know, like this, just her and me. Like it was before Remy got into the picture.

"I like you. You're pretty funny."

"I like you too, girl. What do you say we go wait in the medlab?"

Charles and Logan

<Logan, would you mind stopping by my office?>

<I'm lookin' for Rogue.>

<I'm sure she's fine. I will only take a moment of your time.>



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's up?"

"I wished to inform you that Sabretooth has disappeared. Actually, his entire convoy, the entire transport has. I believe it is likely that whatever faction of the government that experimented on him previously is responsible for this."

"Fuck."

"And we still have not been able to ascertain Mystique's whereabouts."

"Fuck."

"Yes, well, I wanted to be sure you knew and answer any questions you may have about our efforts to locate them. Rogue and I spoke briefly this morning, and she mentioned that you would be leaving in the very near future."

"What'd you do? Try to get her to make up with Jeannie again?"

"No. I assure you that I - "

"'Cause that was one helluva bad idea. I don't know what that big brain of yours was thinkin', but that was a fuck up."

"Yes, yes it was. And I have apologized to Rogue for it. She has accepted my apology, and I hope that we can move on."

"Well, good, then. Just don't - you know, she don't need any more shit to deal with. Don't go forcin' her to make nice with people."

"No, but rebuilding some of her relationships, the ones she is ready to, will help her recover from this experience, Logan."

"Don't worry, Chu - I mean Professor. I ain't gonna stop her from doin' anythin' she wants to do. I just ain't gonna let her get hurt if I can help it, that's all."

"Glad we're on the same page. And Logan - I do hope that you follow her path. You have friends here as well."

"Don't think so. Mosta you would be happy if I dropped off the planet or some shit. Stayed outta her life for good."

"That's not true of everyone here. Ororo, Jubilee, myself - just to name a few."

"Well, whatever. We're goin' soon, and we'll work it out on our own."

"Very well. But do not hesitate to contact us should you need us."

"Will do. You know, I really do wanna thank you for always helpin' her. You've been good to her, real good."

"It has been easy to do so. I care for her very much. And for you, Logan. We are here to help you too."

"Later, Professor."

"Later, then."

Remy and Rogue

"Dere you are, chere. Remy been lookin' for you."

"Oh, well, I've just been staying with Rogue here."

"I meant Remy's been lookin' for Rogue, chere. You don' mind if we have a little talk, non?"

"Um, no. I guess not. I'll, uh, just be in the other room."

"Oh, Kitty - you don't have to go."

"No. It's fine."

"How are you feeling, petite belle?"

"I'm fine. Look, Remy? I don't really remember you but - "

"Now dat wound me, chere. Remy t'ought you always keep a piece o' your heart for him."

"Uh, I didn't think we were ever romantically involved."

"Non, we weren't. But we were tres good friends, once. Remy would like dat again."

"I, um, don't mean to be rude, but I don't really think that's such a good idea."

"Why not, chere? De hairy beast man say somet'ing bad 'bout Remy?"

"Hairy beast man? Hank?"

"Non, non. Logan."

"You're kidding, right?"

"Chere, whatever he say, I tell you dat - "

"Look, Logan didn't say anything. I - I don't think it's such a good idea for us to be friends because it seems like there's a chance you might have some, um, more than friendly feelings for me, and that's not really fair to Kitty."

"Chere - "

"Because I know how I'd feel if I were in her shoes. I mean, you're dating, and it's just not a good idea for us to be friends right now."

"But - "

"And even if you weren't dating, she has feelings for you and I'm her friend. Or at least I was. We were really good friends, and it just wouldn't be fair to her. Remy, I really appreciate your help, you know, lending me your coat and all. I do. And, maybe one day, when everything works itself out, we can be friends again. Just not now."

"Dat not fair to Remy, though."

"I know. And I'm sorry. But I think that's what we have to do right now. And I know that - since we were close friends - you'll understand."

"Remy don' wan' dis."

"I know. But it's what's best for everybody. It's what's right. And it's for now - who knows? Things have a way of working themselves out sometimes, you know? We'll be friends again one day, just not today."

"Oui. Je comprends. Remy don' like it, but Remy understand. You always been a good person, chere, much better dan dis ol' thief. But if you ever need Remy, Remy be dere for you. You jus' call."

"Deal. And Remy - thanks."

"Anytime, cherie, anytime."

Kitty and Remy

"So, what, are you going back to her now?"

"Non. Chere - "

"Don't give me that 'chere' crap, Remy. She doesn't want you and she never will. She loves Logan."

"Perhaps."

"Is that all you've got to say for yourself? 'Perhaps?'"

"Non. Remy also say he cares 'bout you, Kitty. Remy does."

"But you don't love me."

"De truth?"

"You owe me at least that much."

"Oui, Remy suppose so."

"Well?"

"De answer is non. But, den, you don' love Remy either."

"But I do, I really, really do."

"Non, chere. Dis ain't love. Dis jus' lust wit' a little friendship mixed in. We both know dat. You more in love wit' havin' someone to love den wit' me."

"It doesn't have to be like that. It could be more. If you'd let it. If you'd forget her. She'll never be yours, Remy."

"Lots of de time things change, chere. Not too many things dat are really 'never'."

"Fine. Fine, then. You go ahead an pine after her if you want, but that's it, we're through."

"Oui. Remy suppose so."

Hank and Jean

"Oh for goodness sakes, Hank, not you too!"

"You must admit, Jean, your behavior there was anomalous. I would not have predicted that - "

"It was a light touch, just, no more than feeling for someone's presence or seeing if they're awake. It wasn't meant to be invasive."

"Yes, I know. But still - "

"Oh my God, you think Logan's right, don't you? You think I did this all because I'm somehow jealous of Rogue over him?"

"No, actually, I do not. I believe, however, that there is some part of you that reveled in Logan's attention, and expected it, sought it. It would be unsurprising for - "

"But I'm married to Scott! I love Scott!"

"Jean, it is not as though I am suggesting otherwise. I am merely pointing out that on occasion, you have enjoyed being the center of attention, and I think that perhaps that played some small role in your overall attitude toward - "

"You don't believe I would ever intentionally hurt her, do you?"

"Well, no, I do not. But - "

"Hank, I'm not - I'm not a mean person, am I?"

"No. But - "

"I'm not an awful, selfish person?"

"Well, no I would not put it - "

"I'm not the kind of woman who needs male attention to feel like a complete person, am I?"

"Well, Jean, now that you bring up - "

"You know what, Hank? This talk has really helped. I think I'm going to go talk it over with Scott too. That'll make me feel better."

"Ah, Jean, if I could finish a thought, I would like to add - "

"See you later, Hank!"

"..........<sigh>"

Kitty and Logan

"Rogue down here?"

"Wha? Oh, oh yeah. S-she's, um, in the b-bathroom. She'll be right out."

"Are you cryin'?"

"Uh, j-just a little."

"Somethin' bad happen to Rogue?"

"Oh, no, no. She, um, just h-had to go to the b-bathroom."

"Oh. OK."

"C-can I um, ask you something?"

"Sure."

"You l-love her, right?"

"Look, I really don't wanna talk about this with other people."

"Oh."

"Why're you askin' somethin' like that? Gettin' ready to tell me I'm no good for her?"

"No, n-nothing like that. I just w-wondered if....if you really did."

"Why do you wanna know?"

"I, uh, broke up with my b-boyfriend. I loved him, but he d-didn't love me. I guess I j-just wanted to know if it was p-possible, you know? That when you love someone, they'd love you b-back?"

"It is, kid. It is."

Logan and Marie

"You were very nice to Kitty. She's really upset about Remy, but I think she did the right thing."

"Yeah. You about ready to get the hell outta here?" 'Cause I sure as hell am.

"Yeah. Where are we headed?"

"Dunno. Was thinkin' back up north, but...."

"But what?"

"Well, Mystique'd be lookin' for us there." Don't wanna take the chance. I know I could fuckin' take her out if it's just her, but who knows what kinda freak she coulda hooked up with? So far, Sabretooth and Magneto. That doesn't bode fuckin' well. Plus, we need some peace and fuckin' quiet. She'll come after us soon enough. I'll kill her then. Give me plenty of time to think of interestin' ways to do it too.

"You know, she could be waiting to track us from here. I mean, if I was her I'd guess that we'd go here. She saw the X-men come get us."

Shit, hadn't thought of that. "Good point. We'll have to sneak out, somethin' low key." Might get some help from 'Ro there.

"Yeah. But we still have to figure out where to go."

"What about Alaska? You always wanted to go there, darlin'."

"Hmm...that has definite possibilities. Do you have any other places? You know, like the cabin or the lodge? Or what about one of those? Mystique doesn't know about either one of them, right?"

"She caught us out near the lodge, she might suspect that one. Cabin oughta be OK though." And to tell ya the truth, I wouldn't mind at all.

"I say let's try it. What do you think?"

"All right, darlin'. How're you feelin'?" She looks OK. She's got big dark circles under her eyes. I know she ain't been sleepin' much. I don't think she's eaten anything since we got here either. But overall, considerin' everythin', she looks pretty good.

"OK."

"No headaches?" Thought I saw her rubbin' her forehead at some point. Was still in and out, though, and it coulda just been from stress.

"No, not really."

"But you've had some?" That ain't good.

"Just a little one. I think it was just a tension headache. It pretty much went away when you woke up."

"Well, let's not take any chances. Come on over here. I'll lay down on the bed, and you can touch me." That'll fix it. Even if it was just nothin', I don't wanna take a chance.

"Are you sure? I mean, you're still under the weather."

"Nah. I'm good as new. Come on, baby." Just gonna get comfortable here. Don't think I'll pass out all the way, but pretty sure I'll drop. This way, I'll already be horizontal.

"I'm not sure, I mean I think I'm OK, head-wise. It can wait."

"No, darlin'. I don't wanna risk it. I'll feel better if we do it now, OK?" Wait, what if she don't wanna do it because of somethin' else? What if there's too much goin' on in her head to fit more of me in or somethin'? "Unless - unless you wanna - I mean unless you don't want me in your head right now or somethin'."

"No, no that's not it." Big, teary eyes. Somethin's up. "I mean, I'm just a little afraid that...that there might be some stuff in your head, you know, about what happened, that I don't - "

"Listen to me Marie." Gonna just grab her hand in mine. She's wearin' a pair of borrowed gloves, I can tell. These don't fit her too good. "There's nothin' bad in there about you. I promise, baby, I swear. You don't hafta worry about that."

"Logan....it's OK if there is, I mean, I'll understand if - "

"Uh-uh. Trust me, OK, darlin'? Trust me."

"O-OK. Where?" That's my girl. Brave.

"How about my lips this time, hmm?" There's a little shaky smile. Good. "Whenever you're ready." She's takin' off the gloves, steadyin' herself.

Ah, there it is, the pull. Gonna make sure she knows just how much good stuff is in there about her, gonna push it to the top of my mind. Love her so much. So much. Take what you need baby, get what you need.

"Oh..."

"You get enough?" I hardly feel bad at all. Just a little lightheaded. She couldnta taken enough.

"Yes. So much in there...."

"You sure? I'm OK, we can do it some more."

"No, no, I'm good, I just....thank you." I think she got it. I think she got some of the good stuff. She's cryin' a little bit, but good tears, I can tell by the way they smell.

"You're welcome, darlin'. You know, anytime you wanna touch me, you just ask. Anytime you need me." Don't want her to feel like she needs to have a reason. If she has an instinct or somethin', I want her to just do it. Plus, might help her emotionally, you know, so she can be sure.

"OK, I will. You know what?"

"Hmm?"

"You have soft lips. You're really beautiful."

"Glad you think so." She was always sayin' that about me. I've been called lotsa things, but not beautiful. That's just her.

"I do. You know what else I think?"

"Hmm?" She's always thinkin' 'bout somethin'. She's real smart. Hell, smart enough to get us away from Sabretooth and Magneto. That's plenty smart.

"I think we have a pretty good relationship. I mean, the one we have now, not the one we had before. Not that that wasn't a good one. But I kinda like this one too."

"We always get along real good." Can't tell ya how glad I am she said that. Makes me feel happy as hell to know she feels OK about us. Even after everything.

"Oh, I know, but we've been through a lot. And this - us - it's solid."

"Yeah, sure is."

"Let's - let's get some sleep, then head out in the morning, OK? I want to be close to you. I want to hold you."

God, I love hearin' that. That's a real good sign. "'Course, baby. Let's go to bed."