Eighteen Statements of Intent

Title: Eighteen Statements of Intent
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: NC-17, for violence
Summary: Sequel to Eighteen Questions, Take Six. Mystique and Sabretooth manage to get both Logan and Rogue. The X-Men try to help
Series: Eighteen #28
Feedback: Please? Even if it's just to say I'm truly twisted....
Disclaimer: None of them are mine.
Archive: Ask, and ye shall receive.
Author's Notes: OK, this is dark. I mean DARK. It took a long time to write because my brbf kept kicking it back to me because there was - "just too much ew" - in her words. I think, having put it aside for a little while then reread it, that she was right  previous versions went a lot darker and were too graphic. I tell you all this so that when you read the version that came out, and think I'm evil, you know that it could've been much, much worse if I'd followed my earlier drafts. But I think my brbf now know where the story's going more than me, because she was right. That means she has to write it from now on, right?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Jamison's Motel, British Columbia, 8:26 a.m., Tuesday

Rogue

Mmmmph.....warm here. Warm and safe. Don't want to move. Lots of Logan wrapped around me, blankets on top of me, and a nice, firm bed underneath me. Absolutely no reason to move. Nope, none.

"Hey darlin', you up?" That's his little whisper. For when he thinks I'm probably mostly awake, but still a little sleepy. I like it.

"Yeah, but I don't want to get up yet, OK?" He is snuggly. I bet I'm the only one who thinks of him that way, but he is. He's been so good to me. Everything we've been through, even just since I remember, it hasn't been easy. And he's still been really good.

"No arguments here. You wanna go back to sleep?"

"No, no. Just want to stay in bed a while." This is the second best part of the day, after all. Waking up in a cozy spot, Logan right next to me. The best part is going to sleep that way, but this is the second best, and I want to stretch it out a little more.

"All right." Mmmm....I like it when he squeezes me like that. He's got pretty strong arms, and it feels so solid when he does that. I like to squeeze back too. "No rush. Check out time ain't 'till noon."

Oh yeah, it's going to be a good day. It's going to be a very good day.

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, 1:37 p.m.

Charles

<Scott, come to my office immediately.>

<Trouble, Professor?>

<Of the worst kind, Scott. I fear that Sabretooth and Mystique have taken Rogue and Logan.>

<Oh God! What happpened?!>

<I heard Logan call out to me; I believe that Logan was drugged by Mystique. Logan sent an image of Sabretooth pulling Rogue out of a vehicle before he passed out. We cannot rule out Magneto's involvement, but using drugs to subdue Logan would point toward his exclusion.>

<Where are they?>

<British Columbia, moving rapidly south toward the U.S.. Assemble the other x-men in my office immediately. Include Jubilee, Kitty, and Bobby - the first team will need all the help it can get.>

<What about leaving someone behind to protect the mansion while you're monitoring the mission?>

<You are correct. Leave Bobby.>

<On my way, Professor.>

<Scott, this time we will not fail against them.>

<Yes, sir.>

Somewhere in British Columbia, 1:42 p.m.

Sabretooth

"Wh-what are you going to do with me?"

"Aw, come on, frail, you know the kinda fun I like to have." She did me a favor, wearin' those tight little pants and that low-cut shirt. Won't take long for me to get up for some fun. Oh yeah. Can already almost see the blood that's gonna spill outta that tight little body.

"What did you do to Logan?"

"He's down for the count. Borrowed that little formula from those government fuckers. He'll be out for days. Don't look for any help outta him." Little less bravado than last time. Smells real scared. Good. "You and me, we're gonna get to know each other but good. He ain't gonna interrupt our fun this time. I been waitin' to get my hands on you for a long time, and now that I gotcha, you're not goin' anywhere 'till I'm through with ya. I'm gonna enjoy this."

Somewhere in British Columbia, 1:43 p.m.

Logan

Hafta try to stay conscious......hafta hang on......

Shouldnta fuckin'.....shouldnta let her go out to the car........not by herself.......fucked up............

Hafta stay conscious........hafta..............

.............................................

Fuck.........hard to hang on.................gotta, gotta hang on.............

...................................................

Chuck........chuck...........

Hafta help her, hafta save her.................hafta hang on.........

.............................................

Gonna stay conscious, I'm gonna........gonna get us outta this...............

Somewhere in British Columbia, 1:44 p.m.

Mystique

She needs to be taught a little lesson, my darling daughter. A little respect for her elders. She needs to be shown her place. When Victor finishes with her, she'll do as I say. She'll join us, and we will be more powerful than Magneto ever dreamed. Stupid child, she hardly realizes the value of her own powers, the incredible potential within her.

And she has proved so ridiculously easy to control. All we need do is keep this little beast she's sleeping with alive but inoperative. She might risk her own life, but not his. We learned that the last time around, did we not? Had I taken a stronger hand in raising her, she would know that attachments are weaknesses, nothing more.

Of course, I suppose I have my own "attachments." I regret what happened to Erik, and I wish for her to pay for her role in that little fiasco. However, in the end, my relationship with Erik is completely irrelevant. It has no bearing on my larger goals. She, on the other hand, counts Wolverine as relevant, as perhaps the priority among whatever her other silly little goals are. Well, she will be made to see the error of her ways.

In some ways, she is much like Erik, and Xavier. Xavier's folly of a dream of human and mutant harmony, and all the sacrifices he's made to protect it have failed to produce even one significant achievement. And Erik, with that stupid machine of his. Always peddling 'the cause'. His idealistic cause was never worth the sacrifice either. Well, that was his one weakness, we each have them. Now, it is time to look out for oneself. To use our - what does Xavier call them? - gifts, yes, for personal profit. And my darling daughter will be most profitable, once she is made to see our side of it.

She really has no choice. She has proved herself unwilling to attack, only to defend. She has proved unwilling to deal the death blow. Her reluctance to touch Victor, her intervention at the bar - all stupid, amateur mistakes. And worse, mistakes that she has not learned from, has not rectified. Well, Vic will write the full measure of those mistakes into her flesh today. It won't take long for her to beg for my help. Then, when she's broken, we will rebuild her. Yes, we will rebuild her as a mercenary extraordinaire. She will never again be helpless or merciful in the face of her enemies. I will make her strong. She will be one of us.

Near the U.S. Border, British Columbia, 2:13 p.m.

Rogue

OK, OK, just calm down. Just remain calm. No reason to panic yet. Just because some thing from your worst nightmares has a hold of you, that's no reason to lose it. You've got to keep it together, because Logan's out. You're the one who's going to have to deal.

We're coming up on a place, looks like some kind of cabin. Who knew there were so many cabins in the middle of nowhere, Canada. Or wait - are we still even in Canada? From the sun, I think we've been driving south, and we were pretty close to the border when we got taken. Have to try to figure out where we are.

God, it all happened so fast. He was on me so fast, and then she had Logan and, God.....OK, OK, stop that. Stop that. Stop panicking and start thinking. Think about who you are. What would the old you have done to get out of this? Logan said I was smart. And brave. And he said we'd taken out Sabretooth before. I can get through this, I just have to think.

"Outta the car, bitch." God, he's scaring the shit out of me. He's going to rape me, I know it. The way he's talking and looking at me - and that's not all, he's going to hurt me, that's what he really likes. At least in my nightmares, he does. Oh God, oh God...... "Move it."

OK, OK, don't panic, don't think about what he's going to do. Just think about how to live through it. Just survive. Whatever he does, just survive it. Just survive. Because I'm going to think of a way out of this. I am. I will.

Somewhere Over South Dakota, 2:14 p.m.

Scott

"Too slow."

"You're pushing the engines as it is, Scott. It won't do any good to lose one of them."

"Jean, we've got to save her. We just have to get there in time."

"We will. They obviously want something with the both of them. They won't kill them right away."

"You've seen what Sabretooth can do to her. She's got to be terrified."

"She'll be all right."

"Jean - what if we can't take him?"

"Don't even think that way, Scott. We're X-men. We can take him."

"You're right. We will. We will."

Near the U.S. Border, British Columbia, 2:28 p.m.

Logan

What the fuck? Shit, my fuckin' head....can't move.....can't move...fuck.....

"Aaaaaah! Noooo!"

God, Marie. That's Marie screaming. Where? Where is she? Can't move.....

"You like that frail? Want a little more?"

Marie crying. Fuck! Gotta move, gotta at least open my eyes. Gotta help her. Gotta help her. Can't stand it. Can't stand to hear her like that.

"You shoulda told me you heal, girlie. Get that from the runt, didya? Comin' in handy here. Means I can rip ya up all I want and you won't die. Pretty fuckin' cool, huh?"

"Stop, just stop...." Marie, pleading, begging. Oh God, help her. God, please help her. I've gotta....I've gotta try to open my eyes. Hafta see what's happening. Gonna open my eyes, gonna fuckin do it.

God, oh God, she's lyin' on the floor. She's been ripped up bad. Her clothes - God, they're just shreds and he's - that fucker! He's masturbating! I'm gonna rip his fuckin' dick right off, that goddamn - oh God, that's what it is, it's not all blood all over her. He's been ejaculating on her while he cuts her up. Sick fuckin' bastard! Fucker!

"Ffff......."

"Heh. So the sleepin' weasel's awake, huh?" Shit. Shouldnta done that 'cause now he sees me. Fuck. Maybe I can distract him from Marie, though.

"Ffffuuu........"

"Don't you worry darlin'. He's not gonna spoil our fun. In fact, more fun to have him watch, isn't it, frail? Yeah, oh yeah......"

I can't fuckin' stand this. I can't fuckin' stand this!! I'm gonna move. I gotta move. I gotta snap outta this. I'm not gonna let him - I'm not gonna let him do this. I'm gonna move.

Near the U.S. Border, British Columbia, 2:32 p.m.

Rogue

You're not going to get away with this. You'll give me an opening sooner or later. And then, it's all over. You're done. You're a walking dead man. You made a mistake. You made a big mistake. You got Logan. And I might have been scared to death if it was just me, I might have just waited or hoped for Logan to save me. But now I'm mad. I have to be mad. Because I can't be scared. If I'm mad, I can fight. And I have to fight. For Logan. I have to get the both of us out of this.

"Yeah, that was a good one, huh? With him watchin' - makes it better, doesn't it? Too bad your ma didn't wanna hang around and watch. That woulda been good too. Lotsa fun the three of us can have."

"Stop it, just stop it...." That's right you dumb fucker. I'm just a poor defenseless little girl, crying in a heap on the floor, all hysterical. Come on. Come on, turn your back on me. Just for a second. It's all I'll need. I'm no threat, right? Come on......

"No end in sight, girlie. Maybe I can't touch your skin, but still lotsa fun we can have, right? I was thinkin' maybe a beer bottle. Or maybe a stick...." Oh God, no. No. No. You're not going to do that. You won't get a chance. You're going to have to turn your back on me to go get something, and that'll be it.

"Yyyyooouuu fff..........."

"Don't sound like loverboy there has any better ideas." That's it, you mother fucker, turn around. That's it. Do it. Go, go. Don't worry, don't look back. I'm still crying, just turn away. Go ahead. There. There. Perfect. Now, now's my chance.

"Aaah!" Bone claws right through your neck, bastard, take that. Rip that neck apart, sever the spine.

"Rrrrghhh!" Die, die, die. You're going to die. You will. I'm going to be sure this time. I'm going to be very sure.

Near the U.S. Border, British Columbia, 2:38 p.m.

Scott

"We're down!"

"Jubilee, Kitty, Storm, take the perimeter. Jean and Remy, you're with me."

"Remy hear screamin' in dere, we got to hurry."

"I know, let's go. It's a few hundred feet more. Come on!" Almost there. Hang on, Rogue. We're coming. It's all going to be all right. Hang on. Just a few more feet and through the door. And -

"Rogue!" Oh God, oh my God, her clothes, what happened to her clothes and all that blood? Where did that - ?

"Die!!!"

She's using her claws, oh God, she's cutting Sabretooth into pieces, he's down, he's out, but she's still ripping him apart. And Logan - something's wrong. They must have drugged him because he's not moving. He's got one eye open, but he's just laying on the floor, almost like someone dumped him there. It looks - it almost looks like he's smiling at her. Oh God.

"Die, just die!!!"

"Rogue! Stop it! Stop it!" I've got to get her off of him. She's out of control.

"Nnnnn......." Was that - that was - it came from Logan. He's not completely out.

"Die!"

I can't let her do this, it's - it's murder. He's down, he's out. It's murder. I can't let her do it. "Rogue! Stop it! Stop it!" God, can't get too close, she's lost it. She doesn't even know I'm here, I bet she's totally -

"Get the hell outta here, one-eye." God that sounded like Logan coming out of her. Just like Logan. Maybe he's taken over and that's why she's - "Go on, get out. I'm gonna finish this."

"Chere - "

"Get out."

"Rogue, listen to me, please. Rogue, it's Scott. Please listen to me. You don't - you don't want to do this. It's - he's out, Rogue, he's out. Just stop."

God, the look on her face when she turned to me, and oh God, she sees Jean. I shouldn't have -

"Get her the hell away from me. And the rest of you - leave. I'm going to finish this." That sounded a little more like her, at least.

"Jean, step out. Rogue - listen, listen to me. Just stop. Just stop. We're here now and you're safe, so just stop it."

"Safe? Did you get Mystique?"

"Merde!"

Fuck. "Jean! Get the others - search for Mystique! Now!"

"Get out, Scott, Remy. I have to finish this."

"I'm not going to let you murder him. That's what it is, Rogue. He's down, he's out. Let us take him. Let us turn him over to the authorities." Looks like she's thinking it over, at least she stopped for a second. "I'm not going to let you just murder him, Rogue. I can't."

"You can't stop me." Damn. So much for her thinking it over.

"What about Logan?" That's her Achilles heel. She'll respond to that. "He needs help, and he needs it now. Are you going to get him help or kill Sabretooth some more?"

She's looking over to Logan. God help me, I think that might work.

"Logan?" It's like she just realized he was hurt. Good Lord, she must've been through hell.

"Nnnn........"

"Oh, God.....Logan, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." She's crying now, I think the rage is gone.

"Nnnnn......."

"What's it going to be Rogue?" Still nothing. Logan, that bastard, isn't helping. He hasn't moved a muscle, but somehow, I think he's encouraging her to finish Sabretooth off. Well, that's not going to happen. I'm not going to let him - whether he's in her head or down there on the floor - make her into a murderer.

Near the U.S. Border, British Columbia, 2:42 p.m.

Storm

We will find her. She cannot have gone far. She should be nearby.

We should not have waited for the order from Scott, I should have initiated the search. We are not doing much better against them this time. We have been disorganized and unfocused. It is because of Rogue. We are all worried for her. Jubilee, Jean, and Kitty are as distracted as I, if not more. She must be terrified. But we cannot think about that now. We must remain intent on our mission. It is difficult enough. Scott and Remy - they will care for Rogue and subdue Sabretooth. Jean said that he was severely injured, and no immediate threat. Scott and Remy will see to it that he remains so. Rogue will be safe now. Perhaps I should send Jubilee back. She is the only one of us familiar to Rogue.....

No sign of Mystique - she could have transformed herself into anything. Bird, animal - I wonder if she can imitate trees or inanimate objects? If so, we could be standing right next to her and never know it. There are a thousand trees in this forest. She will not show herself when she is outnumbered. That would be unlike her.

We will find her, though. I swear by the bright lady, even if it is not today, we will find her. We will find her and bring her to justice. Her crimes will not go unpunished.

Near the U.S. Border, British Columbia, 2:44 p.m.

Jubilee

"Guys? Storm sent me back in case you needed - oh!" Good God Almighty! What the blazing hell happened?! Rogue is - she's, she's all covered in blood and dirt and she's pretty naked too. Oh God, that big hairy freak did that to her! Oh my God! And the Wolvmeister is down, not moving. Oh God, this is bad. So very bad.

"Jubilee - maybe you can talk with Rogue." Wonder why Mr. Summers is using his tense voice? "We need to get Logan some help, medical help. We don't know what they used to drug him or what effect it will have on him. We need to leave here and turn Sabretooth over to the authorities."

"Dude, I don't think Rogue's gonna go back to the mansion. Uh-uh."

"Just get out." Her voice is all flat and she just keeps staring at Wolvie. I can't tell if he's staring back or not. He looks bad. Shit, maybe he does need help.

"Um, chica? Are you OK?"

"I healed."

At least she answered me. "Um, Remy? Why don't you - why don't you cover her up with your coat, OK?"

"Of course, chere - here......"

"Grwwwlll..." Well, the Wolvmeister's not totally out of it - that was definitely a growl at Remy.

"I-it's OK, Logan. I'm just going to take his coat. I'm a little cold, that's all. Logan? Just - do you - do you need help?" She's trying to get a clue from Wolvie. He won't say he needs help, no way.

"Nnnnn...." Damn, do I know him or what?

"Look, Rogue, the Wolvster, he's not gonna make you go back to the mansion, but, chica, he looks bad. Real bad. I think - I think maybe we should take him back."

"I'm not going to just leave him with you." She's pulling that coat real tight around her. She's got to be freaking, big time. God, I don't even wanna think about how she got all her clothes ripped up and all that blood on her. Musta been real awful. Real awful. Looks like Sabretooth got the bad end of her, though. Kinda had to be her, I think, 'cause we didn't hear any fighting after we landed and Wolvie's no help right now. She's got it in her to do that kinda damage. Especially if she thinks Wolvie's threatened. Dumb ass Sabretooth probably didn't figure on that though. Good. I'm glad he got fucked up. He deserved it.

"You'll be safe at de mansion if you wan' to come home, chere. Remy promise."

"Yeah, look, I know you hate it and all, but I'll stick with you the whole time, OK? You know I'll kick the ass of anybody who screws with you, homegirl."

She's looking up at me - that could be a good sign. "I don't want Jean anywhere near me. Or Logan. I'll hurt you, any of you, if I have to." That's my girl, looking at Sabretooth - or what's left of his sorry ass - to make her point.

"We have a new guy. He's really smart. His name is Hank and he looks a little weird but he's a good doctor. We can ask him. Right, Cyclops?"

"Good idea. Yes, yes, we can have Logan treated by Hank. Would you go then, Rogue?"

"Come on, chica. I'll watch your back. I promise."

Somewhere over Montana, 2:59 p.m.

Charles

<Professor, we are en route. We have retrieved Rogue and Logan. They are both injured. We're returning now. ETA 48 minutes.>

<How badly injured are they, Jean?>

<It looked like Rogue was sexually assaulted. She appears to have healed, though, and is conscious but in shock. Logan has been drugged and is unable to move. Rogue refuses to let me examine Logan. We had to promise that I wouldn't go near either of them in order to get her to go. She won't - >

<I understand. She has agreed to return here?>

<Yes, we convinced her to let Hank care for Logan, but, Professor, I need to - >

<Is Logan in any immediate danger?>

<I can't tell without an examination.>

<Did you find any evidence of what was used to drug him?>

<Yes, there was a syringe on the scene and we're bringing it back.>

<Very well. I'll meet you in the medlab.>

<Professor - shouldn't I try to assess Logan's condition?>

<Jean, if he appears stable, do not - >

<But, Charles, he could be in trouble, we don't know - >

<No. We gave our word to Rogue that you would not approach them. We're going to honor that. Unless Logan appears in crisis, keep your word on that, Jean.>

<I'm a doctor, Charles, I took an oath to - >

<I know. I know you want to help Logan. But your oath applies to Rogue as well. I will speak to her when they arrive. We will not make the same mistakes with her twice, Jean.>

Somewhere over Michigan, 3:29 p.m.

Rogue

God, she's right over there. Not ten feet away. I can't turn my back on her. She's just itching to come over here and mess up my head again. I can see it on her.

I don't know - I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I can't risk Logan. I - I think Jubilee is right, he needs more help than I could give him. They could've used anything to get him so out of it, and whatever it is, it's not clearing his system. His healing factor isn't doing a good job of fighting it. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

"Mmmm......"

"Shh. Don't try to talk. It's OK. We're going to be OK."

"Uuuu....Kkkkk?"

"I'll be all right. Just hang on. Don't leave me alone here, OK?"

"Kkkk....."

"Hang in there chica, we're gonna get him help. He'll be up and kicking ass again in no time."

I think that's right. I think Jubilee's right. I think I am doing the right thing. He needs help. And I can't be afraid of them. I can't let that get in the way. Because they'll help him, I think they will. And Jubilee - I think I can trust her. She'll watch my back. She'll keep an eye out. I just have to keep it together until he's well. I can do that. I have to do that. I will do that.

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, Medlab, 3:48 p.m.

Hank

"Incoming, Hank!"

"Why, Jubilation, how delightful to see you again. And you must be my patient. Logan, correct?"

"Mmmm..." He is in as bad shape as Scott indicated. I must admit, I find his mutation - super-healing - fascinating. Would that we were meeting under different circumstances....

"Please, help him, doctor." The woman, Rogue, looks every bit as terrible as Scott said as well. She appears to still be in shock. She hasn't reacted at all to my rather imposing visage. Being well over six feet, and covered in blue fur from head to toe generally incites comment of some sort. But not from her.

"Ah yes, you must be Rogue. Very pleased to make your acquaintance. Do not be alarmed by my somewhat unconventional appearance."

"Please, just take care of him." Yes, she is in shock. Her pupils appear dilated. Her skin is sallow. Oh yes - must be careful of her skin. She would not like to do herself over in blue fur, I am certain.

"We shall, my dear. Please, sit over there. We shall take very good care of you both."

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, Medlab, 3:59 p.m.

Charles

"Rogue, may I speak with you?"

"Are you the Professor?"

"Yes. Do you remember me?"

"No, Logan told me about you."

"Ah, yes, well, I wanted to speak with you for a few minutes if you don't mind."

"Here?"

"If you wish."

"I don't want to leave Logan."

"Understandable. Rogue, how are you feeling? Hank thinks you may be in shock."

"Really? 'Cause I can't imagine why."

"You haven't lost your sense of humor. That's a very good sign."

"I'm fine. And I - Logan said you were always nice to me. So thanks. Thanks for your help and for taking care of him."

"You are quite welcome. How are you feeling about being here, Rogue? I'm sensing quite a bit of stress at that from you."

"Did you go in my head?"

"No - "

"I know you can, and I know you can probably hide it from me if you did. Logan said you're a lot more powerful than Jean."

"That's true, but I have not gone into your mind. You are projecting your thoughts and feelings quite a bit."

"Shit."

"Do not worry, it is fine. You have my promise, Rogue, that neither Jean nor I will enter your mind without permission."

"You mean again."

"What?"

"You're trying to say you won't enter my mind without permission again."

"Yes, well - "

"You can't promise not to do something that's already happened."

"You are correct. I meant again. Do you believe me, Rogue? Do you believe that promise?"

"Y-yes. I think so. Logan trusted you. Jubilee trusts you. But you can't promise for Jean. It doesn't work that way."

"Would you like to speak with Jean?"

"Not in this lifetime."

"Rogue, you were friends once. Jean meant to help you. She made a mistake. She made a terribly wrong decision. But she honestly meant you no harm."

"But she did harm me. Do you expect me to put myself in a position to let her do it again?"

"Do you want the truth, Rogue? You are putting yourself in that position, somewhat, even now. You were in the plane with her. She's here now. I find it difficult to believe that you would do so if you did not think that there was at least a chance that she would not harm you. I think that perhaps you are hurt, and angry with her. And you have a right to be. I think that perhaps it would do you good to vent some of that anger at her. To let her know how much she hurt you. But I think deep down, you know she means you no further harm. I am asking you to speak with her, to confront her. For your own good, you need a resolution to those feelings. You will not feel safe here otherwise."

........................................

"Rogue?"

"You must have been telling the truth about not going into my head, Professor. What she did - it was worse than anything Sabretooth did to me, or could do to me. She forced herself into the deepest, most private part of me, and ripped it wide open. And made it hurt. Made me bleed. I have no doubt she'd do it again if she felt justified. In fact, I think it's just a matter of time before she comes up with a justification."

"Then why come here? Why risk that?"

"For Logan."

"Rogue - "

"I don't mean to be rude, Professor. I know you've been good to me, and I'm grateful for your help now. But I have to wonder what kind of friend, what kind of caretaker you were, to be asking me for a damn thing right now."

"You are correct. My apologies."

"Are you done talking to me now?"

"Rogue, I apologize. I do want what's best for you. My suggestion regarding Jean was meant only to make things easier for you at this difficult time, but I can see that it was wrong to discuss it now. When - or if - you wish to talk, my door is open. You are welcome to stay as long as you like."

"Thank you. Are you done talking to me now?"

"Yes. But Rogue - I do hope that we can find a way to be friends again, you and I. I have missed you."

"I-I can't think about that right now. I'm sorry."

"I understand. I will be sure to make your stay here as comfortable as possible. You will be safe here during your stay, Rogue. I will see that it is so."

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, Medlab, 4:14 p.m.

Jubilee

Shit, I thought talking with the Prof would help, but she still looks pretty freaked. And the Prof looks sad. That's not ever a good sign. Shit.

"Hey, chica, how's it hangin'?"

"OK. I'm fine."

"You're not a good liar, girl. How about letting Hank get a look at you, huh?"

"He's still busy with Logan."

"He'll take a break. I mean, come on, the Wolvmeister gets boring after a while."

"No. I want to be sure he takes care of Logan. You were keeping an eye on him, right? While I was talking to the Professor?"

"'Course. Everything's copasetic." God, she's jumpy. And paranoid. You know, not that I blame her 'cause I sure as shit wouldn't want to be around people who were pokin' in my head, and after....whatever Sabretooth did, I'd be jumpy as hell.

"Good."

"Look, um, how about a shower then? You can use ours, it'll be just like old times." All that blood all over her - I don't know how she can stand it.

"No. I don't want to leave the medlab."

"Well, um, there's a shower right over there, in the back. I can call Kit to bring down some new clothes for you and I could - I could keep an eye on you and Wolvie the whole time from that spot right there in the hallway." Oh my God - she's starting to cry. Tears are coming out, but she's not making any noises. Oh God. Rogue, man, I'm gonna kick Sabretooth's ass for you. I so totally am. You're breakin' my heart here.

"Thanks. Thanks, Jubes. I'm going to do that then. I'm going to take a shower over there. I-if you promise."

"Absolutely. I promise. I won't let anything bad happen to either of you. You go ahead, chica. I won't let anything bad happen."

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, Medlab, 4:44 p.m.

Rogue

OK, that's enough crying, Rogue. You can't spend all day in the shower. You're going to have to pull it together. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

Let's think positively. You are alive, and in one piece. Logan is alive, and in one piece. He's getting the best possible medical care, and they will find a way to help him. They will. You've got Jubilee. She's on your side. And the Professor....well, he seems reasonably OK, the Jean thing notwithstanding. Sabretooth is out of commission, at least for a while, and Mystique - your mom, ugh - no, don't think about that. You're clean now, all that blood and semen is off you, and you don't smell like him any more. There are clean, fresh clothes waiting for you. He didn't....he didn't get a chance to rape you, at least not anything involving penetration. You took him down, you took him out. You did it. You beat him. You made him pay for the things he did do to you. And you healed. Thanks to Logan, you healed. Your body is as good as new. Actually, you're fine.

Fine, just fine. Really. The only thing is - the only thing now is Logan. You have to make sure he's safe here and that he gets well. Whatever he needs. He's the priority now. He's been taking care of you, and now you have to take care of him, at least for a little while. The blue guy seems really smart, seems like he can figure out how to help Logan. Jean's staying away, at least for now. It's OK. Everything's OK.

I can think about it later. I can think about the other side - all the bad things later. I can be mad and cry some more and scream and break things later. Plenty of time for that. When it's over. When it's really over. When it's all over. Because now, I have to keep sharp. Can't really afford another lapse in attention now. Already had one today, one that made all this happen. If I'd been watching, if I'd been more careful, if I hadn't just assumed that I was safe in that parking lot, this wouldn't have happened. I would never know what Sabretooth's semen mixed with my blood smelled like and Logan wouldn't know what it's like to have to lay helpless and watch - no, stop it, stop it. Stop thinking like that. Because you can't afford to now. You can't afford to, Rogue.

Pull it together. Keep it together. Because you're going to get through this. Logan said you would. He said it was the best thing, the very best thing about us. We get through. We get through and we come out OK. And that's what's going to happen this time. That's exactly what's going to happen again. I'll make sure it does. I'll make sure.