Turnabout
Turnabout


Title:  Alter-Eighteen: Turnabout
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  R, sexual situations
Disclaimer:  I don't own any of them.  Rats.
Archive:  Ask, and I will gladly provide.
Feedback:  Please!  Although the Surgeon General warns that positive feedback may lead to more fic.Good, Bad, and Ugly welcome
Summary:  Alternative version of events in the movie and the Eighteen Series.  Logan is hired to kill Rogue, but she has other ideas.
Comments:  First of all, hats off to Annika, who has graciously supplied me with many, many plot bunnies :)  This fic reflects two of them.  The first one asked for a "kick-ass Rogue, with a lot more sass and in control of her powers. Lots of Marie-characteristics underneath, which she keeps carefully hidden."  The second was having Logan as assassin, hired by Magneto to kill Rogue. He spies on her and ends up falling in love with her.   As always, I went a tad off-course from the original bunnies as flung by Annika, so don't hold her responsible if you don't like how this fic turned out-that's all me, I'm afraid ;)  Second, although this doesn't carry a "BadJean" warning, there is one anti-Jean comment made in jest therein.  I mention it only because I realize that some of you don't like to see *any* of that kind of thing-zero, zip, nada.  And last, but definitely not least, thanks to Keli, my great brbf, who all of my fics are inflicted upon in their raw state.  She's having kind of a tough week, and I just want to say, 'Keep your chin up, little buckaroo!"  See, now she'll be full of the urge to smack me instead of being upset at anything else ;)

-------------------------------------------------------



"Forty thousand's a lotta money for one dead girl."

"Yes, well, let's just say she's special.  You've read the briefing on her mutation, correct?"

"Yeah, yeah, deadly skin, whatever.  It's not a problem."

"The rest of the information is in the briefcase.  Half now, half when I receive confirmation that she's dead."

"Right."

"Wolverine.or whatever your name is.you're not the first to go after her.  She's a lot more dangerous than she looks."

"She's a girl.  She's-what?  Eighteen?  Nineteen?  I can handle it."

"I'm betting twenty thousand dollars that you can.  See to it that you do."





I knew I'd find her here eventually.  Teenage girls and the mall.  That's one of life's fuckin' constants.  I knew she'd hafta leave that mansion sooner or later.  Tight security there, and I'd rather not deal with it if I don't hafta. 

"Jubes, that's soooo not my color."  Just like all the other little muties her age, worried about clothes and boys and shit.  Kinda makes you wonder what she did to make it worth forty grand to somebody to make her dead, but then again, that's none of my damn business.  I never ask questions.  Only leads to a lotta shit you wish you never knew.

"Come on, Rogue, one yellow dress does not a wardrobe make.  Besides, you need to show some skin."  Wonder if the Asian girl has any formidable powers.  Odds are she's a mutie too if she's livin' at the mansion.

"That's exactly what I don't need.  I'm not a hooker, Jubes."  Plus-her skin.  Can't leave that much showin' and expect not to accidentally kill someone.

"But, Rogue-"

"Shh."  What's she doin'?  Sniffin' the air or somethin'?  Oh yeah, powers she absorbed along the way-healing, kinda like mine if you believe the briefs, and super-senses.  Wonder where she got those.  "I smell someone.."  Can't be me-she don't know me and even if she did smell me, so what?  She don't know what I'm here for or even who I am.  "Jubes-it's them-those FOH guys."  FOH?  Those anti-mutant skinheads are at a mall?

"Where?"

"Over there-look."  Yeah, sure as hell, there they are.  Hasslin' some little mutie girl.  She's a pretty obvious one with the green skin and tail and all.  Probably about thirteen or so.

"Oh, God, those are the ones we caught kidnapping kids and selling them for experiments.  I thought they were still in jail!  What do we do?" 

"You call the Professor.  I'm going to go over there."  Hmm.  Could get interesting.  And it could end up givin' me a little demonstration of her fightin' style.  That might not be a bad idea at all.

"Rogue, it's dangerous and Mr. Summers says that entering a confrontation alone is never-"

"I know what he says.  Just go call the Professor."  Whoa.  Little bit of a spitfire, she is.  And she sure is headin' right over there.  Two big guys, probably each of 'em with a hundred pounds and six inches on her.  She's gotta know she'll start a panic if she uses her skin out in public like this.  "Hello, idiots, remember me?" 

The look on their faces says they sure as hell do.  Heh.  I think one of 'em mighta just crapped his pants.  "You're-you're-"

"The Rogue.  We've been introduced, sugar.  Now, do you want a repeat performance or are you going to let this nice young lady shop for earrings in peace?"  She's either bluffin' pretty good or she's really not scared of these two.

"Aaargh!"  One of 'em lungin' at her with a knife.  She fended it off pretty easily and gave the other one a back-kick while he was tryin' to get a hold of her.  Not bad.  Average.

"I guess that means you and I need to get reacquainted."  That's amatuer.  No talkin', just fightin'.  No need to converse with somebody you might hafta kill.

"You're gonna get it, you freak!  You're-ooomph!" Now, I bet that hurt.  That looked like a pretty solid inside right.  It knocked him back on his ass, anyway.  More upper body strength there than I woulda thought.  Oh-oh.  Pants-crapper is back up and comin' up behind her.  Well, she didn't guard her six, that's her own fault if he-

"Ow!"  What a pansy-ass.  'Ow?'  That's a sissy thing to say when somebody breaks your nose with a roundhouse kick.  She musta smelled him or somethin'.  No way she saw him, and he was bein' pretty sneaky, for an incompetent asshole.  Not bad.  Above average.

"Ooof!"  That's gotta hurt-kick right to her sternum.  Even if she's got the healing thing, she won't be able to breathe for a few seconds and-huh.  That's interesting.  Used the chair she got knocked back into to whack the guy right upside the head.  Drew it up between her legs as soon as her ass touched it and just nailed him.  I think he's out.  Down for the count.  Interesting.  Creative.

"Where are you going, sugar?"  Ouch.  Kicked him right between the knees, right in the family jewels.  That's not playin' fair, and she had him-she just did that outta spite.  Must be an emotional fighter.  "Don't you want to hang around and meet the mall cops?"  He ain't gonna answer ya, he's wailin' in pain.

"Way to go, chica!"  Ugh.  That one's mutant power is probably the ability to annoy.  "The Prof. said to see if we can talk to the girl and her family, and to cooperate with the cops."

"You talk to the family.  The cops are going to want to talk to me.  Thanks, Jubes."  Yeah, she is a little more dangerous than she looks.  Not a pro, but she's got some interesting edges.  That chair thing-quick reaction time and pretty smart.  I'm gonna hafta give this some more thought.





She's gotta be around here somewhere.  I shoulda paid more attention to her scent the last coupla times.  She comes here almost every evening, just walks around, lookin' at things and not buyin' 'em.  Most of the time with her little friends, but last time, it looked like just her.  That could be a break-maybe I could follow her, grab her on her way back to her car.  That could work.  I wonder where the hell she is tonight.  If she's not here or by the bookstore, she's probably-

"Hello."  Fuck!  That's her.  Shit.  Snuck up right behind me.  Fuck.  That's not like me, I'm usually fuckin' paranoid about watchin' my back.

"Hello."  Play it off.  You're just a stranger in the mall.  She doesn't know anythin'.

"I noticed you looking at the painting.  Do you like it?"   Shit, she wants to talk.  Fuck.  Gotta cut that short.  She don't need to be able to ID me.

"No." 

"Me either."  Now she's smilin' like she's amused by that.  It ain't funny.  I wasn't bein' funny.  "Thomas Kinkade-it's just not art to me.  'Painter of Light,' my ass."

"Whatever."  I'll just go-that'll end the conversation.  I'll just-

"Do you paint?"  What the hell?  She's got some piss-poor instincts if she pegged me for some kinda artist. 

"No."

"I do.  Of course, I don't have my own little towel racks and candle holders, like Mr. Kinkade here, but I like to think I do all right."  She paints?  Now I'm the one with the piss-poor instincts 'cause I never woulda pegged her as an artist.  It's been my experience that ass-kickers don't go in for the arty stuff.

"Whaddya paint?"  What the hell am I doin'?  Shut up, Logan.  Shut up, and-

"People, mostly.  Actually, that's why I came over.  I know it might sound a little weird, and I know you don't know me, but you look interesting.  I was wondering if you might let me paint you."  Ah, that's a gift, right there.  We'll hafta be alone for that, and it'll make my job one hundred percent easier. 

"Sure, why not?  Where do you paint?"

"I have a small studio space downtown."  Not the mansion-even better.  "Would you be available this weekend?  Maybe Saturday afternoon?  I can't really afford to pay you to model, but I'll bring lunch."  I can see why somebody would wanna kill her-that smile and that look-it almost makes ya believe that she's a good person, that she's someone worth killin' for or dyin' for.  And she's got the kinda eyes that you could fall right into, the kinda eyes that make you believe she's lookin' right into your soul and likin' what she sees.  If that turned out not to be true-well, I can see that hurtin' enough to make it worth forty grand to get revenge.  "What do you say?"

"Sure.  How about around eleven?"  That'll mean she'll be dead by noon and I can be outta town and on my way to collect the other half before dark.  Or I could-I guess I could maybe even let her paint me and then do it.  I've never had somebody paint me before.  That might not be bad.






"Hey.  Glad you found it.  I brought Chinese.  Make yourself at home, I'm still setting up the canvas."  Eleven on the dot.  Equipment in the car.  Still haven't quite decided whether or not to let her paint me first.  "I hope you like egg foo young-there's some egg drop soup and some egg rolls too.  It's an all-egg lunch."  Wink and a little smile.  Clever girl.  Maybe that means-maybe that means she gets to live a little longer, long enough to paint me.  No harm in that, right?  I got her right where I want her, I can do it anytime.

"Sounds good."

"Hey, I never did get your name."  She's showin a lotta skin.  Jeans, but a tank top.  Wonder if she did that on purpose, you know, to protect herself in case I got rough or tried somethin'.  After all, she don't really know me.  "I, don't really want to call this one 'mall guy.'"

"It's Logan."  I never, never do that.  But she's-she's not gonna be leavin' this studio alive, so who's she gonna tell?

"I'm Marie."  Huh.  That wasn't in the briefs, just 'Rogue.'  That's what she called herself at the mall-The Rogue. 

"Nice to meetcha."  This Chinese food ain't bad.  "How long have you been paintin', Marie?"

"Oh, ever since I ran away from home at fourteen.  It's a nice outlet for my emotions, it lets me express myself."

"You ran away?"  Probably 'cause of her mutation.  Happens a lot.  Just makin' conversation so everythin' seems normal, it's not like I really care.

"Uh-huh.  Didn't you?  Doesn't everybody?"  A little jokin' and a little not.

"I grew up on the road."  True.  Don't remember if I ever had a home to run away from, but I kinda think not.

"Best teacher of them all, isn't it?"  Can't imagine her survivin' long on the road at fourteen.  Must have, though, 'cause here she is now.  Musta taught her to fight, musta made her at least a little bit hard.  Shoulda given her better sense than to invite strangers to her loft.

"You got that right."  Weird.  It feels-comfortable, almost, talkin' to her.  Odd.

"What do you do for a living, Logan?"  She's startin' to paint already.  Thought she might wait for me to be done eatin'.  Maybe it's just a background or somethin'.

"Odd jobs, you know, this and that.  Is this what you do for a livin'?" 

"No, this is just for fun.  I've sold a few paintings, but it's not really what I do."  Wonder what my picture's gonna end up lookin' like.  From the other stuff hangin' up in here, looks like she's one of those artists that paint things that don't quite look like what they do in real life.  What's the word?  Abstract, yeah, that's it.

"What do you do then?"   Wonder if she wanted any of this food.  I could finish off those egg rolls.

"Guess."  She's havin' fun here.  Well, no need to spoil that just yet.

"Well..maybe you're a teacher." That's what the file said she probably was.

"Nope.  Guess again."

"A nurse?"  I could see that, her in a little white uniform, comin' over to check on you.  Dark hair spillin' down and big brown eyes askin' if you're OK, if you need anythin'.

"Oh, no.  Medical stuff makes me squeamish, and I don't like doctors."  She's givin' me kind of a look now-part amused, part curious.  "Want to guess again?"

"Model?"  She's pretty enough to be one, but not tall enough.  Her skin would put that one right out too, probably.  But women like to hear that.

"Flatterer.  Be serious." 

"Scientist?"  Women like to hear that too-makes 'em think you realize they got brains, not just boobs.

"I flunked math.  Repeatedly.  Again, be serious.  Do I look that smart?"  She's actually laughin' out loud a little at that one.  You'd think she'd be at least a little flattered.  Maybe she's had her head turned enough to know when it's bullshit.  Pretty thing like her-bet she gets lotsa attention even with the skin thing.

"You look smart enough."  Maybe a little too good-hearted.  Maybe a little too naïve.  After all, you're lettin' a total stranger in pretty close quarters all alone with you.  But you don't look stupid, darlin'.

"Guess again."

"I'm all outta guesses.  Why dontcha tell me?"  Now I really am kinda curious.  The briefs said she was a probably teacher, but she said she wasn't. 

"I'll make you a deal.  I'll tell you when the painting's finished, all right?" 

"All right."  I was plannin' on lettin' her live that long anyhow.  "Tell me somethin' else about yourself, then."  Shit.  Shouldnta said that-I really shouldn't know that kinda thing.

"Well, I'm originally from Mississippi."  Makes sense-she's still got a trace of the accent.  "What about you?"

"Canada."  I think.  I can't really remember, but that's where I woke up naked and in the snow fifteen years ago, so I'm gonna go with it.

"Hmmm.  Canada-what's it like?"  Paintin' up a storm now.

"Cold.  Snowy.  Not a lotta people and the ones it does got are pretty mellow.  Good beer.  Lotsa hockey."

"You should work for their tourism department."  Jokin', I think.  "Hmm.  Let's see-something else about me..I have a weakness for strong, handsome men."  Is she flirtin' with me?  "Well, strong, handsome men who have the good taste not to like Thomas Kinkade."  She *is* flirtin' with me. 

"Yeah?  Well, I got a weakness for southern belles with long dark hair."  Where the hell did that come from?  I gotta get a grip because I don't know what the hell I'm doin' here-lettin' her paint me insteada killin' her off the bat, tellin' her shit and askin' her shit, flirtin'-

"What a coincidence.  Tell me-" Shit.  Shit.  She's comin' over here.  "-just how much do you like them?"  Straddlin' my legs and sittin' on my lap, real seductive.  Grindin' her hips into mine a little.  Damn, that's good.  But-but her arms are all naked and that skin could fuckin' kill me.  What-what the hell is she up to?  "Twenty thousand dollars worth?"

Fuck, she knows.  Motherfucker.  I gotta-

"Don't move, sugar."  Hands, bare hands, a millimeter away from my face.  "I kinda like you, even if you are tryin' to kill me."

"How'd you know?"  Normally, I wouldn't admit to it, but she said twenty thousand, so she must know somethin'.  Fuck.  Maybe this whole thing was some kinda set-up from the start or maybe-

"A girl has to keep some secrets.  Don't worry, I'm not going to get upset about all that.  I'm here to make you a better offer."  Another little grind of her hips and I bet she can feel my hard-on pretty good.  I was wrong-she ain't-she ain't no teenage girl. 

"Like what?"

"Well, here's what I had in mind.  You take the twenty you have and forget about the job."   Shit, ridin' me now, nice and slow, grindin' just the way I like it.  It's been a helluva long time since I had a woman. 

"What's in that for me?"

"You get to live, for one.  You might get to fuck me, for two.  And you could get a better career out of it, for three."  Right now, number two's got my interest.  "Sugar, I know who sent you after me.  She's already being dealt with."  Now I got her-she don't know everythin' about what's goin' on 'cause it was a man that paid for the job.

"You got the wrong person then, Marie.  It wasn't a woman."  She wants to play-fine.  I'm gonna grab her ass and hold those hips to mine. 

"She wasn't a woman when she met with you, maybe, but she's a shapeshifter, sugar, she can look like whoever she wants.  And just for your information, she was never gonna pay you the other twenty.  She was planning on turning you over to a little friend of hers, goes by the name of Magneto.  He's a mutant that's got an interesting power-the ability to shape and move metal.  Bet that metal skeleton and those claws of yours would've made an interesting little toy for him."  Dammit, it was a set-up.  And does everybody fuckin' know about my mutation?  I'm losin' it in my old fuckin' age or somethin'.  Goddammit.  She could be lyin' but-"Why would I lie, sugar?"

"So I won't kill you."  Still movin' her hips against mine and she don't seem to mind at all that I'm grabbin' her ass. 

"You're not going to kill me, Logan."  She's startin' to breathe heavy and go harder now.  Fuck.  Fuck. 

"Yeah?  What am I gonna do with ya then?"  I wanna grab her breasts but all that exposed skin is showin'.  I gotta-I gotta be careful here.

"Right now?"  Shit!  She-she licked me!  And nothin'-nothin' happened.  Her skin-what about her skin?  "Whatever you want, baby." 

"Your skin?"

"Is off."  She's takin' off that tank top, and she's got some outstanding breasts.  Just exceptional.  "Come on, sugar." 

You know what?  I dunno really what the hell's goin' on here, but I'm pretty damn sure I wanna fuck the livin' daylights outta her.  I can find out the whole story later. 

"Oh!"  Heh.  I've got some moves of my own, Marie.  Bet she didn't see that comin'-well, from the surprised look on her face when I dumped her outta my lap and on the floor, I'd hafta say no.  "You want to do it down here, then?"  Back to sweet little seductress.  But there's somethin' about her eyes that's-it's different.  It's all there, it's not playin'.

"Yeah.  And I wanna be on top."  Yeah, I can find out the whole story later.









"Damn, sugar.  That was one hell of a good one."  Yes, it was.  It sure as hell was.  She's got a lotta stamina, almost as much as me. 

"Go again in a minute, huh?"  I still haven't done her on the table.  I think we covered every other square inch of this little studio, though.

"Sure.  Listen-I never did tell you what I do."    She's still breathin' a little hard.  She might need a little more than a minute. 

"What's that?" 

"I'm an X-man.  Heard of them?"  Rollin' on her side to face me.  Serious look on her face.  I wonder if this is really what all this bullshit is about-why she got me out here, why she's doin' this.

"Yeah.  Buncha mutie do-gooders.  You're one of them?"  There was a lotta information in the briefin' about them, but x-men havin' sex with assassins sent to kill 'em wasn't included.  Don't seem like their style.

"I am, but there's a reason they call me The Rogue, sugar.  You wanna give joinin' up with the mutie do-gooders a try?  We could use someone with your..skills.  Free room and board, all the mutant ass you can kick, and a lovely retirement plan.  What do you think?" 

"So that's what all this is?  That's why you're fuckin' me-tryin' to get me to join up?"  Oh-oh.  She looks mad as hell all of a sudden and-"Ow!"  Shit, that was a helluva left hook, and she punched me from layin' down too.  Dammit!

"Do I look like a whore to you?  Was I fucking you like a whore, Logan?"  Gettin' up and stompin' off to the bathroom.  Fuck.  Fuck.  "I fucked you because I wanted you and let me tell you something-I'm not part of the deal.  You join up, you *don't* get a lifetime's worth of sex from me.  You know something?  You're really are an asshole." 

"Marie-"  Slammin' the door.  Great.  Just great.  "I don't need this shit, you know, and I don't wanna join up with your little do-gooder squad."

"Fine.  Why don't you just get the hell out of my studio then?"  Not openin' the door.  Shit. 

"Look, Marie, just come out, all right?  I ain't talkin' to a goddamn bathroom door."

"Fine."  Oh shit, she looks even more pissed.  And like she maybe wants to cry too, but she's not gonna let herself do that.  "Look me in the eye and talk to me, then.  What do you have to say, hmmm?"

"I didn't mean to imply that you were a whore."  Well, I didn't.  "I just dunno what the hell is goin' on here."

"Fine."  That's the third damn 'fine' I've gotten outta her.  And I can tell it ain't fine, it's anythin' but fine.  "I found out you'd been hired to kill me.  I know a little about your past.  I know the government had you, I know you don't remember too much.  Instead of taking you out or turning you back over to the government, I called in a lot of favors and asked the X-men to let me approach you about joining the team.  That's what the hell is going on here.  Happy now?"

"How do you know all that shit about me?"  Nobody knows that-I haven't told a livin' soul anythin' at all about the government and the lab and my memory.

"I was captured by them when I ran away from home.  I was trying to get to Alaska.  They had me for almost a month before I escaped.  I took some of the records with me.  You were in there."  She looks a lot less mad now, and I feel like an asshole for actin' shitty-if they had her too, and she was only fourteen.  "Do you want to meet the team or not?"

"I ain't a team kinda guy, Marie."

"Fine."  Brushin' past me, gettin' her clothes gathered together.  Her underwear's ripped up pretty good, those ain't gonna be much help.  "Just let me put some clothes back on, and then you can get on with your little plan to kill me."

"I ain't gonna kill you."  How-how could she even be thinkin' that now?  Just 'cause I don't wanna join up with the damn x-men?

"Oh, come on, that'll be fun-trying to kill the whore that just fucked you.  Tons of enjoyment there."  God, she is pissed as hell.  Spitfire-that's an understatement.  I musta-I musta cut her deep with what I said, how I acted. 

"Stop callin' yourself that."  'Cause she wasn't like that with me, not like that at all.  And I've been with a lot of 'em, I should know.  But she was just-just passionate.  And there.  She was all there, you could tell.

"Why?  Isn't that what I am-just a little enticement to join the team?  A little treat?  Come on, that's what you think, I know it is."  She's dressed again now.  She tossed the underwear aside, but the jeans and tank top are back on. 

"It ain't what I think.  What I said came out wrong.  I didn't know what was goin' on." 

"Put your clothes back on.  Let's go.  Let's just get this overwith."  Nothin' soft about her now, nothin' teenage or girly.  She's The Rogue now. 

"I'm not gonna try to kill ya.  Look, I'll just-I'll just go, all right?  I'll just go."  Fucked up here.  She woulda been-she woulda been real nice to have.  Real nice to get to know and be with.  I fucked up here.

"Fine.  Take your painting."  I forgot all about that damn thing-I didn't think-she couldnta painted me so fast.  "I don't want it anywhere near me."

It's-it's just striking.  It's me, I can tell, but it's not like a portrait or somethin'.  It's not-she got me, dead to rights.  I can't really explain it, but the figure she painted standin' on a hillside, lookin' out over the land, that's everythin' that's me, right there.  How the hell could she see all that and know all that about me?  "It's a beautiful paintin', Marie."

"Hmm.  Not bad for a-"

"Don't.  Don't say it."  All of a sudden, my chest feels all tight-what-what the hell is that?  It's just not right, those words comin' outta her while I'm lookin' at somethin' like this, somethin' so good.  "I didn't-I never thought that about you.  Not for a second.  I just didn't know why you were doin' it, that's all."

"I was doing it because I wanted you, Logan."  Her voice sounds just like mine-maybe her chest is gettin' tight too.  "It wasn't-the x-men would never ask me to do that.  I was only ever a whore once, when the government got me.  They did whatever they wanted.  That's why-that's why I thought I'd make you the offer to join.  They got you too and you deserved a break if you wanted one."

"I'm doin' fine on my own."  I dunno what else to say.  No wonder-no wonder she got so pissed.  They probably did make her do shit like this, to lure people to 'em.  God, I fucked up.

"Hmph.  So you like killing people?  You like being alone all the time?"

"No, but it makes money.  And it's all I know how to do.  It's all I'm good at."  That's the truth.  I'm not smart, I'm not talented, not like she is, I'm not good at anythin' but fightin' and killin'.  At that, I'm the best there is.

"You could be good at being an x-man.  Look-I'm not-I'm not a team kind of person either.  I'm not a joiner either.  But I fit in there, and you could too.  Just-just meet them, just try it.  If you meet them and say no, I'll get the hell out of your life for good."  I don't like that idea for some reason.  I can-she said she went to a lotta trouble and called in favors and shit for me, so I guess I can just meet them.  It don't mean I hafta join.  Just-as a favor to her or somethin'.  To make up for what I said, at least a little.

"All right.  I'll meet 'em.  But, look, Marie-why the hell would you want me?  I'm pretty much an asshole."  That wasn't supposed to get a smile outta her-I'm bein' serious.

"Because I'm a lot like you, Logan.  Because I know what you've been through.  But mostly because I knew the second you walked in that door that you didn't want to kill me, despite everything.  Why do you think you didn't want to?"

"Dunno.  Gut reaction, I guess.  I felt somethin'."

"Exactly."







"Shit!  Don't move!  Don't move!"  Stupid ass mother fuckin'-

"UnnnhhLogan?"

"Yeah.  Don't move, baby."  Got a big-ass metal rod right through her chest and her healin' factor hasn't been workin' as fast lately 'cause of that genetically engineered virus she's still gettin' over, and-

"Shit.what happened?"  She's bleedin' bad.  She could be-this could be serious.  Fuck.  She shoulda let me go in first.  I told her she shoulda let me go in first.

"Stupid fuckin' Scooter wasn't fast enough.  Just stay still.  I'm gonna pull it out."

"But-OW!"   Shit, shit, shit.  She doesn't usually yell unless it *really* hurts.

"Sorry, baby, sorry.  It hadta come out.  Sorry."  She looks like she's healin' up a little.  Good.  Good.  Now all we gotta do is get the hell outta here before the building comes down around us. 

"It's OK.  I can-I'll be able to stand up in a minute.  Hey-where is everybody else?"

"Scattered when shit started explodin'.  Scooter was chasin' the big one and Jean went after the other one." Stupid FOH assholes.  They multiply faster than goddamn rabbits.  Every time we clean out one installation, another five pop up to take it's place.

"Dammit, Jean was supposed to be watching my back."

"Yeah, she was."  The x-morons ain't much better.  Can't follow a battle plan to save their damn lives once the shit hits the fan. 

"She wants me dead because she wants to fuck you.  This is all your fault, dammit."  Jokin'.  That's my girl.  Come on back.  You're gonna be OK.  Can't lose you.  "How long until that roof comes down?"

"Sit still.  We got a couple minutes."

"OK."  She's tryin' to put on a brave face, but I can tell she's really feelin' it.

"Look, Marie-"  That got her attention.  She never told anybody else that name and she made me promise not to use it outside our bedroom.  "-this is the last one, I mean it.  The last mission.  No more of this shit."  We've given them five years-Marie's given them more than that.  And that's enough.  I know she feels grateful to 'em and all for helpin' her out after she escaped form the government.  I know she even likes some of 'em.    But I can't take too much more of this.  Fightin', kickin' ass-it ain't fun anymore, and it especially ain't fun when I see her get hurt like this.  She'll be OK, but still.

"What?  You ready to retire to your little mountain cabin already, old man?" 

"Yeah.  And it's our cabin."  Bought the land with half her money and half mine.  We both spent time up there clearin' the land, puttin' in security, and buildin' the house.  Our cabin.  "I really mean it, this is the last one."

"OK."  OK?  Just-OK?  She's been fightin' me on this for months and now-OK? 

"Is that the pain talkin'?  Are you just sayin' that to shut me up?"

"No, I'd just kiss you if I wanted to shut you up.  Come on, let's get out of here before the roof comes down.  That'd really piss me off."







"You really did pick a good spot.  It's beautiful up here." 

"Yeah, and hard to get to."  Which is why I picked it and why I kept it quiet.  The x-fuckers don't even know where it is.

"Mmmhmmm.  You know, there's still one place in here we haven't had sex."  There is?  'Cause I thought we've been pretty thorough. 

"Where at?  The roof?" 

"OK, two places.  I was thinking of the bed."  Oh, yeah.  Forgot all about that.  "Come over here, sugar."  I can tell already that this ain't gonna be one of the really hot ones, it's gonna be slow and sweet.  We both usually like hot, but every now and then, she gets an urge for sweet.  I don't mind too much. 

"What're you gonna do with me if I do?"  Sweet don't mean I can't tease her a little, though. 

"Whatever I want."  She looks damn good, layin' back on the bed like that.  Very invitin'. 

"Got anythin' specific in mind?"  Think I'll do what she says.  I'm a dominant kinda guy by nature, but I've found that doin' what she says now and then can result in some very good things.  Like bein' right next to her in a nice, soft bed when she's got sex on her mind.

"Oh, I thought I'd kiss you."  Yeah, sweet, definitely.  "Like this, maybe.  Just a little.  All over your face.  You've got a very handsome face, sugar.  I could kiss you all day long." The way she is when she's like this-it makes me think about how she'd be if they never got a hold of her.  All soft and innocent and so, so lovin'.  If there's anythin' besides seein' her hurt that makes me wanna lose it, it's thinkin' about that.

"No problem there."  I know she thinks I do the sweet stuff mostly to placate her, but there are times when I kinda like it too.  Soft little kisses all across my face and neck, that's pretty good.  And I know what she likes to hear when she's in this kinda mood.  "I love you, Marie."  Neither one of us says it very much-I mean, come on, we're a couple of badasses, whaddya expect?  But every now and then, I know she likes to hear it, and I do too.

"I love you too.  Lay back."  Takin' off my shirt and movin' down my chest with those little kisses. 

"I coulda never hurt you, baby, you know that, right?"  Sometimes I worry about that.  After all, I was sent to kill her in the first place.  I wonder if sometimes she thinks-maybe he coulda done it.  Maybe he woulda done it if I hadn't fucked him.  I don't want her thinkin' that.

"I know.  I love you."  She must be feelin' a little iffy about this whole thing-retirin', leavin' the only place she's ever really called home, havin' it be just her and me for the duration.  She never says it twice in a row like that.

"Hey."  Just gonna stop her for a second.  "You OK?"

"Yeah.  I'm just-I feel so calm, so quiet inside.  Peaceful.  When all that other stuff stops humming-battles, missions, FOH, brotherhood, whatever-when all that other stuff is gone, I just realize how full of love for you I am.  How glad I am that you love me back.  How lucky we both are.  And most of all, how much I savor you-I just really appreciate and want you in my life.  I know-I know I'm going all Oprah, but I mean it.  I do."  That's it again-that's the young girl she woulda been without government fuckin' intervention.  And you know what?  It kinda brings out somethin' in me-maybe what I woulda been like without all that shit happenin' to me too.

"I feel all that too.  I never woulda had nothin' without you, baby.  And now I got everythin'-everythin' worth havin'.  I love you so damn much for that."  Sounds like a pansy-ass thing to say, but it's true.  I got everythin' I'll ever want right here in this bed beside me.

"So does that mean I can I go back to kissing you now?"    Teasin' again-the little girl's gone now and The Rogue is back.  That's OK.  They're all my Marie, they're all the person I love.

"Definitely.  Definitely, darlin'." 

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives


Artwork © loganandmarie.com
Artwork © loganandmarie.com
Artwork © loganandmarie.com