The Pick-Up

Title: Alter-Eighteen: The Pick-Up
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: NC-17
Summary: Alternate version of events in the movie and the eighteen series. Logan and Rogue share physical attraction and a little more
Disclaimer: Not mine. Well, except for Mr. Shower Massage, and that's kind of a, um, personal issue.
Archive: Ask, and ye shall receive..
Feedback: Please? With a cherry on top?
Author's Notes: This was not my fault.. I just want to be clear about that. It is solely the fault of my brbf (on whom most things can be blamed, at least when it comes to fic) who asked for a SassyRogue fic. This is the horribly silly mess she got.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"I'm nervous."

"Well, don't be. You'll be fine. You've trained for this." I love Scott. He's so leadery, so calming. Not to mention seriously cute. I hate Jean. I really do.

"I know, I know. I'm ready. But I'm still a little nervous." After all, it is my first mission.

"It should be simple. Contact and retrieve a newly detected mutant - calls himself Wolverine. Mutant power is healing, and he is suspected of being the subject of one of the government experiment labs in Canada. That's the nutshell. We're good to go. We're prepared for this." And can I just say that I'm not minding at all that I get to go alone on this one with Scott? Quality time with Mr. Luscious. Yum.

"You're right. I'm ready. Let's go."

"Don't worry, Rogue. We'll do just fine." Sigh. Swoon. I love that smile. Oh, I know I'll never have him, and it's just a crush, but I still love that smile.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ugh. This place is awful." Some stinky bar in the middle of nowhere. And I mean nowhere. We had to park the plane and walk about three miles. In snow.

"I know. This is probably the first bar you've been to, right?" Funny. Trying to catch me off guard. I've been living at the mansion since I was twelve, and he knows I don't turn twenty-one until next week. We've all snuck out a time or two, but I'm not going to admit that to him.

"But of course, Mr. Summers." There's the smile again. Love that. It was the smile that made me pinch Scott's butt that one time. I mean, when he smiles like that, a young girl's thoughts just naturally turn to butt-pinching. I think he was embarrassed, but I promised not to do it again. I mean, I know Jean's got him, but a girl can get one butt-pinch, right?

"Here he comes." This guy - Wolverine - he's been fighting in the cage in the middle of the bar. He's a good fighter. Not like Scott, or Bobby, but more undisciplined, more emotional. Scott says that showing emotion in a fight can get you into trouble, but I think sometimes it can give you an edge.

"Jack said you were lookin' for me?" He looks suspicious of us. Well, I guess I would be too. I mean - when strange people show up and say they want to see you, it's maybe not always a good thing. But we're totally the good guys and - wait - did he? That guy just looked me up and down, like, like -

"Yes. I am Scott Summers. This is Rogue." He's not shaking Scott's hand, but he's taking a good look at me. What a little perv. Well, big perv. Nothing little about this guy.

"Nice lookin' woman ya got there Summers." Does he mean me? Not that it's not a nice little thrill that he thinks I'm Scott's woman - ha, ha, Jean! But what, exactly should I say to that? Thank you doesn't seem right - that would be like thanking him for checking me out.

"Yes, well, may we speak with you for a few minutes?"

"I guess." Whew. Eyes off me. He's looking at Scott now. Scott will handle him. He won't let this guy get his big hairy paws on me.

"Why don't we sit?" He's gesturing to a little table way in the back. Good. Sitting is good. Then half my body will be covered by the table and Mr. Perverine can stop looking.

"Fine." I really, really wish he would take his eyes off me. It's making me uncomfortable. No one's ever looked at me like that. Well, duh, Rogue, of course they don't. They all know they can't touch you. Perverine doesn't know that yet. I wonder if there's a way to bring that up in conversation. That'll make him stop looking.

"Wolverine, we - Rogue and I are from a school called Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. It's in Westchester, New York, in the States. Have you ever heard of it?" This is a very, very small table. My knees are touching Scott's under the table a little (bonus) but I'm like, two inches away from Perverine. And he's looking at me while Scott's talking.

"Nope."

"Well, perhaps you will have heard of Professor Charles Xavier or the X-men." Scott's jaw is clenching a little. He's so cute when he does that. It means that he's getting mad that Perverine keeps checking me out.

"X-men? Ain't those a bunch of geeks runnin' around in leather? Had somethin' to do with that thing last year?"

Uck. I hate thinking about last year. Magneto kidnapping me, being put in his machine - thank God Scott was there to save me from him. Thank God he blasted Magneto before he could touch me. Sigh. My hero.....

"Yes, that's right. What else have you heard about the x-men?" Scott's so good at keeping his voice even, at keeping calm. I can tell the looking and the "geeks" comment is making him cranky. Aw. I could make that all better for him.....

"Nothin' else."

"Yes, well, the X-men reside at the same school as Rogue and I do. It's a special school for mutants."

"You both mutants then?" Aha! Conversational opportunity to inform Perverine that he won't be getting his paws on me.

"Yes, we are." Scott looks pleased that I took the initiative and said something. I like it when he looks pleased with me. Warm fuzzies all over. "My mutancy - my gift - is my skin. It is lethal to the touch. It absorbs the life energy of people who touch my bare skin with theirs."

"Hmmm." Perverine's mulling that over. But he's still checking out my chest. What's up with him? Does he have a death wish or something? "That's a cryin' shame for a damn fine woman like you. Bet there's plenty of ways around that, though."

"Uh...." I really don't know what to say to that and Scott mustn't either because he's just kind of staring at Perverine like he can't believe he said that. "Anyway, about the school...."

Whoa! Perverine's touching me - he - he put his hand on my thigh! Whoa! "Darlin', why don't you and me go somewhere a little more private, hmm?" That's pretty bold. I mean, after telling him about the skin thing and for someone who thinks I belong to the guy sitting right across the table from him.

"Hey, now!" Scott, whew, finally. "She's with me." Aw. Just, aw. That's so sweet. And Perverine's leaning back but not taking his hand off. Wonder what -

"For now." Well, aren't we sure of ourselves. Geez, I know he's like, buff and manly and whatever, but come on, women can't be all that easy for him. They can't all just, like swoon at his feet in a puddle of drool or something.

"Ahem. Like I was saying, about the school." If he won't move his hand, I'll move it for him. There we go. "It's in Westchester, and Scott and I came here to invite you to come down for a tour of the school and a discussion with the Professor." Very good, I thought, the way I managed to get all that out.

"You gonna be my tour guide, darlin'?" I don't know what to say to that, because the Professor said we should try our best to convince him to come down with us, but, on the other hand, I'm sure the Professor wouldn't want to pimp me out.

"I'll be your tour guide." Scott, letting some of the pissed come through in his voice. He's getting all protective of me and that's just so cute. The other girls are going to be so jealous when I tell them about this mission - we've all been crushing on Scott since high school, and I don't think any one else has gotten the protective reaction out of him. No one else has gotten a butt-pinch either.

"Well, then, no dice." I kind of thought Perverine might say that.

"Look, if I said I'd give you a tour, would you come?" Why is he smiling that dirty, lecherous smile at me that - oh, yeah. Double entendre at the end there. Poor choice of words, Rogue.

"I'm sure I would, baby." Hand back on thigh. Ugh. He's like, like the definition of unsubtle.

"Would you mind?" Hand off thigh. "Would you like to come for a tour or not?" Because if it's no, I'd just as soon not get felt up anymore.

"Why me? I ain't interested in talkin' to professors and I'm too damn old for school."

"Because of your gift." Scott, trying to get the conversation back on track.

"What about it?" Hand back on thigh. He's also the definition of refuses-to-take-a-hint.

"We can help you understand it, we can help you understand what's happened in your past." Whoa, hand squeezing thigh pretty hard now.

"What the hell do you know about that?" Thigh squeezing becoming painful now.

"We know you were taken by the government. We track dozens of mutant experimentation histories. We might be able to help you find out what happened to you." OK, now that I'm reminded of that, I do kind of feel sorry for Perverine. I mean, even thigh-grabbing coarse assholes shouldn't get experimented on. So maybe I won't, you know, make a snide comment or anything. I'll just unwrap his fingers and move his hand. I bet I'm going to have bruises there.

"Maybe I don't give a shit." But he does. Scott's good, he's got his interest now.

"If you don't, then stay here. We're just here to offer you the chance." Good, good, I think Scott's playing this right.

"How do I know ya are who ya say ya are? How do I know you don't work for those government fuckers?"

"We don't. I can give you my word we're the good guys." He just snorted at that. Well, I guess that was a little wimpy and unconvincing, the way I said it. "Do I look like I work for the government?"

"They got plenty of good-lookin' women to lure men like me, darlin'. You'd fit the bill." Back to checking me out. Ugh.

"Geez. Look, we're not government agents or anything. We just want to talk to you, to offer you some options."

"'Cause you're the good guys?" Now he's making fun of me. Loser. Thigh-feeling jerk. Chest-looking idiot.

"Yes, that's right. Because we're the good guys. We're the very good guys. In fact, we're the excellent guys. Now, are you coming with us or are you going to mock me some more?"

"You're a hot-blooded one, ain't ya? Plenty of things I'd like to do with ya, darlin', and mockin' ya ain't one of 'em."

"Is answering my questions one of them?" Because I'm just about ready to go. I've had enough.

"Fine. I'll go. You got a car or somethin'? It's a long drive."

"We've got a plane. And it'll be a short flight." Whew. Mission accomplished. And Scott looks OK, a little proud of me even. I think I did good.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's just a little further, about another mile or so."

"Uh-huh." I really, really, really wish that Perverine would walk ahead of me instead of behind me. I just know he's looking at my butt. It's almost like I can feel his eyes.

"I'll radio the Professor when we reach the plane and give him our ETA." Scott, fearless leadery as always, laying out the next mission steps. He's so organized, it's scary sometimes. But that's what makes him adorable too.

"You fly the plane, darlin'?"

"No, Scott does."

"Well, good, maybe you and me can get acquainted on the flight out." He's got, like a permanently leering tone of voice, at least when he talks to me.

"Lovely." Well, he's going to get the permanently sarcastic tone of voice from me if he keeps it up.

"Wait." Perverine, and the leering's gone. I wonder what he - "I smell somethin'." He's sniffing the air and turning in a circle. Is it something burning or -

"I don't smell anything. Rogue?"

"No, I - "

"GRRRRAAAHHHHH!!!" Oh my God! Sabretooth! Out of nowhere! Shit! Scott's - Scott's reacting, he's blasting him, putting him down but -

"Scott! Look out!" Mystique, I think, behind him. And - oh, God, Magneto. That bastard.

"Arrrghh!" Mystique - she's - she's got Scott by the neck, strangling him, taking off the visor - no, no! Scott's down, he's hurt and he can't - he can't open his eyes. No!

"Stop it!"

"Now, now, dear. How rude. Aren't you even going to say hello to me?" Magneto, flying over. I should have known. God, I hate him so much and I'm so afraid of him. And he's coming right toward me. It's going to be just like last time, only this time he'll get me because Scott's down, he can't help me now. Oh, God.

"You back the fuck off of her." Perverine and he's - whoa, he's got metal claws. That wasn't in the mission briefing and -

"No. No thank you, my dear Wolverine." Metal - metal claws and Magneto can get him. He's - he's picking him up off the ground by the metal claws. I have to do something. I have to do something. Neither one of them can help me, and, dammit, I'm not going to get kidnapped again.

"Magneto." I can come up right behind him. He's not really paying attention and Mystique is too busy tending to Sabretooth, trying to get him up again.

"I'm a little busy at the moment, dear. I'll be right with you, not to worry." Arrogant shit ass isn't even turning around. He doesn't think I have the balls to do it. Well, he's going to get a surprise. I'll do it, I'll touch him. "I have plans for you, after all. I - arrrgh!"

Surprise, surprise, asshole. He's - oh, God, he's flowing into me, and I don't want him - I don't want him in there, but I've got to put him down. I can't take a chance. I have to make him unconscious. Almost, almost.

"Let him go, let him go! You're shakin', let him go!" Who's that? Not Scott, but - oh, right. Wolverine.

"Unnh!" Enough. He's down.

"Whoa, you all right there, darlin'?" He's holding me up, I think, by the shoulders. My head feels so woozy and my eyes won't really open and where's - where's Mystique?

"Myssss......" Oh, good, incoherent mumbling. Yeah, that'll get us out of this. Excellent, Rogue. "Myssstttiqqqq...."

"What?"

"Pl-plane." Even this guy should understand that one. Get us to the plane. Now.

"Rogue?" Scott - oh, thank God he's OK. Mystique and Sabretooth - I wonder if they took off.

"Mm here." Coming back now, can focus my eyes a little. Whoa. Perverine up close. He looks - worried?

"Are you all right? Are you injured?" Scott, worried about me. God, he should be worrying about himself.

"No. I'm OK." I think. At least I'm standing and I think I've got a handle on Magneto in my head.

"We have to get out of here. Now." He's trying to stand up, still with his eyes closed. Shit. Mystique trashed his visor. Damn. I hope he's got a spare in the plane. He should. That would be very Scott-like.

"Let's go." Wolverine, dragging me in the general direction of the plane.

"Get Scott."

I think that was a grunt of dissatisfaction. But I'm not leaving without Scott. I mean I'm really not leaving without Scott. He's the only one who can fly the plane.

"Come on, Summers." Now he's dragging both of us. We're going to make it. The plane's close. We're going to make it, we are. Oh, thank God. That was - that was close.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Landing in five minutes. Wolverine, Rogue, please fasten your seatbelts." Whew. It'll be good to be back home. This mission - well, it was a little more eventful than I'd hoped for.

"You sure you're all right, darlin'?" He's actually been nice on the flight, almost sweet.

"I'm fine. I just need, like, a week of tequila and bed rest. Be right back to normal." Because my head hurts like hell. I forgot about how that happens when someone touches my skin. It's been a really, really long time.

"Mind if I join ya?" Well, that was a little more flirty, a little less disgustingly lecherous. I'll take whatever progress I can get.

"You wouldn't like it. Might accidentally suck your life out or something. That'd be a bummer." Maybe he's a little less hot to trot now that he's seen my skin almost kill a guy.

"I'd like it fine, darlin'." I'm not going to respond to that verbally. I'm too tired. Plus, I can't think of a good comeback to that. I'll just give him the raised eyebrow. Much more eloquent than anything I could think of to say right now. "Hey - thanks, you know?"

"For what?" Not kicking his ass into next week for feeling me up? Because that's the only thing I can think of that he should be thanking me for.

"For takin' that asshole out before he did some serious damage to me. I don't know what his fuckin' deal was, but I could feel all the bones in my body vibratin'."

But that can't be - they'd have had to be metal and - "Wolverine - is your - are the claws the only metal in your body?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"But are you sure? His power - Magneto's power is to shape metal. If your bones were vibrating.....could they be metal too?"

"Fuck." He looks as mad as I've ever, ever seen anybody look right now. It's pretty scary. "Goddamn bastards." Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Maybe I should have let Jean or Hank break that one to him. They're a lot better at that kind of stuff than I am.

"Sorry." See? Jean or Hank would think of something much better than that. That's about all I have the energy to come up with.

"Fuck."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You did very well, Rogue." That should make me a lot happier than it is. Especially since Scott's saying it in front of the Professor in our debriefing session. Yea, me, I guess.

"Thanks, Scott. I appreciate that."

"What's wrong?" The Professor - I wonder if I'm putting out vibes. I must be.

"I guess I'm just feeling a little disturbed."

"Magneto's presence?"

"No, no by Wolverine - I mean, what kind of experiments were those? How would he get so much metal in his body? And how could he not be sure about what happened to him? It just seems so awful."

"It is awful. It seems that his healing factor would permit him to survive almost any injury, no matter how severe. And it was not uncommon for mutants who had been experimented on to have their memories wiped clean. It is unfortunate, but that is why we must document and track these atrocities. So that those responsible can be held accountable."

"I know. I know. It just doesn't make it any less horrible, you know?"

"Yes, Rogue, quite. Now, why don't you get some rest, hmmm? You've had a very busy day."

"Thanks, Professor." He's a sweetie. I wish he was my dad. I'd have never run away from home if he had been.

"You're welcome, and Rogue - congratulations. You did do very well."

"Thanks." That is nice to hear. Not as nice as hitting my bed ASAP will be, but nice.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wha?" Is that a knock at my door?

"Can I come in, darlin'?"

"Ungh." Wolverine. He can interpret that grunt as he chooses. I can't move from this bed, and the door's open.

"Hey - how're ya doin'?"

"I feel like crap." I must've only gotten - wait, what time is it? - shit, I've been sleeping for ten hours! I fell like I just laid down.

"Well, ya look good."

"Of course you'd say that. You want to have sex with me." Whoa - Rogue, learn to censor, girl. That just came right out. Use the brain, no matter how tired you are.

"Is that an offer?"

"No."

"Even if I brought tequila?"

"You have tequila?" I'm liking him just a little bit better now.

"Whole bottle." And he does. And two shot glasses. Oh, I see. I see his plan now. Get Rogue drunk and then have sex with her. But....just one shot wouldn't hurt. My head is pounding.

"Just one drink, then you get out, OK?"

"You're a straight shooter, ain't ya, darlin'?"

"Yeah, yeah. Am I going to have to pour that myself?"

"Nah. Happy to oblige." Ugh. I could sleep for another ten hours. Better sit up. Sitting up much better than laying down for drinking room-service tequila. Speaking of that....

"Hey - how did you find my room?"

"I smelled ya out." Ew. Just, ew.

"Great. Is that one of your gifts too - sensitive smell?"

"Yeah. Ya know, you have a very distinctive smell." There's some information I really never needed to know. "Makes me hot." Oh, look, even more information I didn't want to have. I know, how about a total change of subject?

"Did you find anything out? You know, about what happened to you?"

"You were right about the metal." He looks upset, pissed even. "It's grafted to every fuckin' bone in my skeleton."

"Good God! How did they do that to you?"

"Dunno. I have nightmares of people cuttin' me open. Never thought they were memories, ya know? Always thought they were just bad dreams."

That just sucks. Time to drink the tequila. Whoa. That's bracing. "Did they know anything else about your past?"

"They're lookin' now." He's pouring both of us another. I think he's downed more than one already. I wonder how his healing factor copes with processing alcohol. "Chuck asked me to join up with ya, to be an x-man."

"Chuck?"

"The Professor."

"You called him Chuck?" That's hysterical. That's just too funny for words.

"Yeah, that's his name, ain't it? I don't go callin' people by fancy titles."

"Yeah, but he - he seems more like a Charles than a Chuck to me." Actually, I think that's Magneto - what Magneto called him, Charles. I knew they were friends, the Professor told me.

"What can I call you, darlin'?" Oh yeah, the get-me-drunk-and-screw plan. Forgot about that for a second.

"My name is Rogue."

"What do you like to be called in bed?" And, ladies and gentleman, we're back to the thigh squeezing. So glad I'm wearing my flannel jammies. They're very concealing.

"Stop that."

"Stop what?"

"The thigh thing." Don't play dumb with me, Perverine.

"Why? I like it and so do you."

"I don't like it." Maybe just a little. But not enough to do anything about it.

"Nah. That ain't true, darlin'. I can smell it on ya. You want me."

"Does that work for you often? Because I can't imagine it would."

"What works for you? What do you like?"

"What, sexually?"

"Yeah. Sexually." More thigh squeezing, more like rubbing now, and he downed another shot of tequila.

"You know, I really have no idea. I've never done it before."

"What? You're sayin' you're a virgin?" That slowed down the Perverine. I thought it might. He seems like the kind of guy who likes a more, um, experienced woman. Definitely more on the whore side of that whole virgin-whore spectrum, I think.

"Uh-huh."

"You're shittin' me."

"I shit you not."

"Now, that's a damn shame. Woman like you goin' without." You know, the word 'backfire' comes to mind, because somehow I think the idea of me being a virgin is actually making him more turned on. "I can rectify that, darlin'."

"Um, look, remember the skin thing? The whole life-sucking skin thing?"

"Yeah?"

"You're not finding that a deterrent?"

"Nah. I like a little danger. More tequila?" That'd be three. Well, I'm not really feeling it yet. One more couldn't hurt. And it'll help me sleep after I get rid of this guy.

"Thanks."

"So?"

"What?"

"You wanna?"

"Have sex?"

"Yeah."

You know, there's some part of me that's actually tempted to say yes. I mean, it's not like he's unattractive. He's very attractive, in a crass, unsubtle, and, you know, extremely hairy kind of way. But I don't think so. That's just not - that's just not what I want for my first time. I'd like to care about the guy and have them care about me. Got to ignore the horny parts and focus on the logical parts.

"No. No thank you."

"No?"

"No." Shut up, horny parts. Shut up. I'll reacquaint you with Mr. Shower Massage later.

"Hmm."

"What? No one's ever said no before?"

"No. Not really, no."

"Now you're shitting me."

"I shit you not. Women like havin' sex with me. A lot." God bless him, he means that. He is really, truly confused by this. I'd laugh if he didn't look so completely lost. "Well if you don't wanna fuck me, why did you save me and shit back there? Why'd you let me come in your room? Why are ya talkin' to me?"

"Because - " Because I kind of have to be nice to you because you're a guest doesn't sound right, and because I would've saved anyone doesn't sound right either. " - because I kind of like you. You're......nice."

"Nice? I'm nice?" Now he's mocking me again.

"Yeah. Nice. You have a problem with that?"

"You're a hot-blooded one, for sure, darlin'."

"Yeah, yeah, hot-blooded southern belle, that's me, the stereotype down to my toes. More tequila, please." Just one more, you know, so I can start feeling it a little before I go back to sleep.

"Here ya go." He pours a very generous shot. "Well if you don't wanna have sex, what do you wanna do?"

"I'm going back to sleep as soon as I finish this shot. I'm still beat. What are you gonna do?"

"Maybe I'll stay right here. Watch you sleep and finish the bottle." Flirting, still. Persistent Perverine, isn't he?

"Don't get any ideas. I snore. And I drool. A lot. It won't be sexy at all to watch that."

"Why don't you let me decide that, huh?"

Fine. Whatever. I can feel the tequila kicking in, finally. He won't try anything. Scott would kick his ass six ways to Sunday if he did. Scott's my hero. And, besides, I'd wake up. I'm not a sound sleeper. And as I learned today, I can kick a little ass myself, thank you very much. It's fine. Fine.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"No!" Shit, there's someone in my room. Scratch that, in my bed. Oh, yeah, him.

"Wake up. Wake up, you're having a nightmare." And you're trashing the sheet and blanket arrangement. I -

"Ahhh!" Stabbed me - he stabbed me with those claws right through the chest. I can't - can't breathe, can't scream, can't -

"Oh, shit!"

"Aah..." I almost made a sound - he's - he's - OW! They hurt worse coming out than going in. Why can't I breathe?

"Shit!!" He's panicking. Oh, God, it must be bad, I must be - I am really hurt. Really, really hurt. I can't breathe. I can't make myself breathe. Oh, shit. He got - he must've gotten my lung. I'm in trouble. Oh, God I'm really in trouble!

"Hang on, darlin'." What's he - what's he - he's touching me, touching my face! I can feel him pouring in, so strong, and - oh - I can breathe. I can breathe, I can breathe, I can breathe again. Oh, whew. I - that all happened so fast and I - I'm still holding on, have to let go. God, I might've killed him. I held on a long time. God, please, please don't let him be dead, please.....

"Wolverine? Wolverine?" He's breathing, good. And his heart beat - I can feel a pulse. Fast, but OK. He's - he's opening his eyes. Whew. Oh, whew. I guess his healing thing really does work.

"Mmm..."

"Wolverine? Open your eyes. Are you - are you OK?"

"Yeah....you?"

"Yeah, fine. You - you saved my life."

"Yeah...."

"You saved my life."

"Sorry 'bout that....."

"Saving my life?"

"No. The claws....."

"It's OK."

"Sorry."

"It's OK. Don't - don't try to sit up yet. Just stay there. Just stay there for a second." He's still woozy. Good God, I would've put anyone else in one hell of a long coma or killed them with a touch like that.

"You sure you're OK?"

"Yeah. You saved my life." I know I keep saying that, but he did. He really, really did. And he could've died doing it.

"Have sex with me now?" He's joking - joking? - about it.

"That's not funny. I almost killed you."

"Nah. I'm fine." Sitting up a little more steadily now. Maybe - maybe he is fine.

"Thank you. Thank you so much. I - I don't know what to say." And neither does he, from the way he's just staring at me. "Thank you. Come on, let's - let's get you back in bed." I think he was sleeping beside me in the bed before. He seems OK, but laying down definitely seems like a good idea.

"Thought you'd never ask."

"Smartass. Don't - don't joke, OK? I - I could've really hurt you. It scares me."

"Hey." He's - he's holding my hand. Well - my wrist, where it's covered by the sleeve. Whoa. That's - that's not a gesture I expected. It's almost thoughtful, almost gentle. "I'm fine. I hurt you first, right?"

He looked so pitiful when he said that, like he was sorrier than anything that it was true. I - I didn't know he felt things like that. He - you wouldn't think that of him. "It was an accident. You didn't mean to. It's - it's OK. We'll call it even, OK? Just - just get back in bed for a while."

"All right, darlin'." He's tapped. I might not have killed him, but I wiped him out a little. He's definitely tapped. His eyes are already closing. Whoa. That was a close one. Too much action in one day.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mmmm........." That's nice. Seriously nice. Whoever's rubbing my back like that is doing a seriously good job. Yeah. Nice.

"You up, darlin'?"

Whoa. Whoa. "Shit!"

"I'll take that as a yes." Wolverine. I forgot all about him for a second. Oh, my. How long have we been sleeping in this bed?

"What time is it?"

"'Bout one in the mornin'."

"Oh, no. We slept all day?" I wonder if anyone was looking for me. I wonder if anyone came to the room. Did he - I think he locked the door. Good, that's good.

"Yeah. Well, you did."

"How long have you been up?" He looks - I don't know - strangely at ease. And he's still got a hand on me, running it up and down my side. It's - it's not bad.

"Few hours."

"And you've been rubbing me all over that whole time, hmm?" Not really a complaint, but....

"Yeah. That OK?"

I don't know. I don't really know. Hmm. I guess so. I guess it's marginally all right. You know, all right enough not to complain about it. I mean, he probably feels bad enough about the whole stabbing thing. No reason to make him feel worse. "It's fine."

"Lay back down." Oh-oh. Maybe I shouldn't have said it was fine because now he's kind of rolling over on top of me and - oh, oh, he's kissing me on the head, on top of my head, over my hair. That's - that's almost sweet. "You feelin' OK?"

"Yeah." He's rolling back off, but staying pretty close. That's - I guess that's fine. I mean, he's warm. There's the body heat factor. And he's, you know, not cringing in terror at being this close to my skin. That's good.

"Good. Was a little worried you might not have healed the whole way."

"I think I did. I feel fine."

"Good."

"Hey - are you all right? Not feeling woozy or anything are you?"

"Nah. Just - weird, a little. A little weird."

"Weird how?" Because if it's lightheadedness or double vision, there could be some damage and maybe his healing thing can't cope as well with my skin as -

"Dunno. Relaxed."

"Oh, I see. Getting almost killed by mutant chicks with deadly skin is relaxing for you."

"Apparently, yeah."

"I was joking."

"I know. But I am relaxed. I don't really remember bein' relaxed before."

"Not even after sex with all those women that have never said no?" I still don't quite believe that one. There had to be a 'no' somewhere along the way.

"Nah. Usually just feel......finished."

"Uh-huh." You know, I could've lived without knowing that exact piece of information.

"I was thinkin', you know, about what Chuck said, about joinin' up."

"Yeah?"

"You like it, right? Bein' one of the good guys?"

"I guess so. Yeah, I do."

"I don't think it's the thing for me."

Not a surprise, Wolverine. "Uh-huh."

"You're stickin' around here, though?"

"Yeah, I guess so." I mean, I've only ever lived here. Here and in Mississippi, and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

"Hmm. Well, I'll be around a little while too."

"You still want to have sex with me, don't you?"

There's the wolfish smile I've come to know. "Yeah. You still don't wanna?"

"Pretty much."

"All right." He's rubbing my stomach now.

"Don't worry, you'll find someone else to have sex with here. There's lots of women at the mansion. And lots of them are much better looking than me."

"Nah. Haven't seen any so far." I like how that feels actually. Not too hard, not too soft, nice slow circles. I like how he rubs my stomach.

"Well, most of them are much less trouble. You know - touchable without the whole death thing."

"Eh." I kind of am enjoying it. He's not just moving his whole hand, he's moving his fingers too, individually.

"And they're more experienced." That's true. Especially Betsy. Ninja ho.

"There's somethin' about bein' the first, maybe only, that gets me hot." Did he say maybe only? What the heck does he mean by that? Because that would seem to imply that - that he'd be interested in some kind of ongoing relationship.

"Yeah, but I wouldn't know what I'd be doing."

"I could teach ya." He's looking at me so...I don't know what. Seriously? Like he means that seriously, almost. And his hands stopped moving.

"And what would you want in return for lessons, hmm?"

"You mean besides the sex?" Oh, God, he is serious. He didn't think that last thing I said was a joke at all. "Stick around a while."

"Me or you?"

"Whichever. Whaddya think?" He's in my head now, so that should help me make a decision, shouldn't it? To know if he's being straight with me or if he just wants a quick fuck. But I can't pull anything from the part of him in my head but fear - fear when he saw he'd stabbed me, fear when he thought touching me might not work. And....something a lot like curiosity about me. Curiosity and lust. Lots of lust. Lots and lots of lust. And want. Different than lust - want. Want like an ache and something about me that makes him think - "Rogue?"

"OK. OK. Show me."

"And you'll stick around for a while?"

"Yeah." It's weird. It's really weird and I can't believe I just made a sex deal with some guy I used to think of as Perverine.

"Yeah?" He's smiling now, and not the wolfish smile. A kind of pleased smile. A kind of happy smile.

"Yeah."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yes!" Oh my God, he is excellent in bed. Excellent. Superlative. Like some kind of sex God. "Oh, God!" I never even knew my body could do these things. I mean, the way he's touching me, even with gloves and - "Oh!"

"You like that, dontcha?" I think that's pretty damn obvious. "Say it."

"Yes, I like it, yes, more!"

"God, you're beautiful, baby." Thank you, thank you very much. Now, more. More right now.

"Oh, yes!" I'm - I feel like I'm coming apart at the seams. Every muscle and tendon in my body is spun so tight and it's so unbelievable that just touching me in a few selected spots could make my whole body go crazy.

"You're close, baby, so close. Come on." Hell, yeah, I am close. I know that for damn sure. But Mr. Shower Massage never made me feel like this. This one is going to be epic, I can feel it.

"Don't - don't stop!"

"No. Not gonna. Come on, Rogue, come on." I'm coming. I'm coming. Just a little more. Just a little bit -

"Aaaahhhh!"

"Yeah, baby, yeah, oh yeah....."

Oh my god, I hope I didn't break his arm, grabbing at him like that. Whoa. Whoa. Nothing is working quite right. Can't move any limbs. Can't control breathing or heartbeat. Can't let go of him.

"You liked that, huh?" Curious, not smug. That's not - I would've expected at least a little smug. I know what his opinion of his sexual skills are.

"Holy God...."

"Yeah, baby. I loved it too. Loved watchin' ya." He means that. His eyes are so amazing, so clear and so wide, so hot. More sex. More sex with him right now. More sex immediately.

"Again?"

"You wanna?"

"Uh-huh. I want to. If - if you'd like to too."

"Oh yeah. Let me - let me be inside you now, I got a condom in my wallet."

"Why am I not surprised by that?"

"Always prepared, baby." Now that's got a little bit of a leer in it. And God help me, I'm starting to find that attractive. Oh, Lord. I'm starting to fall for this guy.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why're you doin' that?"

"You don't like it?"

"Didn't say that."

"I like to touch you. I like your face. Especially your temples. They're neat." They are. Very prominent but totally compatible with the rest of his face.

"You're weird."

"Yeah. I guess so." I get the feeling he likes it, though.

"You wanna go again?" Yes, yes I do. But if I do, I definitely won't be able to walk for a while. We've already gone a few really good times. A few really, spectacularly good times.

"I'm, um, getting a little sore. I could do something for you, though."

"You hurt?"

"No, just a little sore. Want me to do you?" I can't believe those words just came out of my mouth. That's something Betsy would say. Totally.

"Nah. Roll over on your back. Let me do you. It'll make you feel better."

"Oh, OK." He's actually - actually been really generous. I've had several more turns than him. Not that I am complaining. Oh, no.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Scott, what's up?" Normally, I would be more than happy for some alone-time with Scott in his office. But now, I tend to see most time away from Logan as a bad thing.

"I wanted to talk to you privately, Rogue. It has come to my attention that you and Wolverine have become, ah, involved."

"Yes...." He makes me scream his name loud enough to wake the dead, so that can't be a secret.

"Do you - ah, are you serious about him?"

We have seriously great sex. I seriously like being around him. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Is he serious about you?"

You know, I kind of think so, but it's not my place to say that. "You'd have to ask him."

"Do you think.....Rogue, you know he doesn't want to join the team."

"Yes...."

"So do you think there's a future for you with him?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Are you saying you're going to leave the team?"

Whoa, whoa, hold on a second there, fearless leader. "Who said I'd have to leave the team?"

"If he decides not to stay here, you'll have to make a choice, Rogue." Yeah, but.....shit. Just, shit. I've only ever really lived here. And I joined the team, I belong here. If he wants to leave......shit.

"Did he say something to you?" He must've for Scott to say something.

"Yes. He said he's thinking of going back to Canada soon."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey."

"Hey. Why didn't you tell me you were going back to Canada?"

"Shit, Summers said somethin' to ya, didn't he?"

"Yeah." And he shouldn't have been the one to. "So you were just going to go and not say anything to me about it?"

"No. I - I was gonna tell you." Something about the way he said that makes me think maybe not.

"Yeah, right. Well, look. You know what? You don't have to tell me jack shit, OK? You go back to Canada or do whatever the hell you want to do. Don't feel like you're obligated to tell me."

"Rogue - " Oh, no, you're not interrupting me now. Not after I've worked up a good, healthy dose of mad. No, no, no.

"Hey, you're tired of fucking me, so just go, all right? Go find someone else to screw."

"Rogue - " Stay mad. Stay mad. Don't cry.

"There's plenty of women out there and they never say no, not to the Wolverine, right? So go. Get your sorry ass back to Canada."

"Look, just let me explain - "

"No. You let me explain something to you. I'm sure you've nailed women left and right, and I'm sure I don't measure up to that. But I thought there was something more between us than just the sex. But, hey, that's just me, right? You knew all along you'd just up and go when you got bored with me. If I thought otherwise, well, that's my own fault, right?"

"No, that ain't - "

"Please. Spare me the bullshit. You want to know something funny? I was getting to really, really care about you. Isn't that something? You're going to go back to Canada and laugh your ass off about that, aren't you? Little Rogue, stupid little virgin, running around being one of the good guys. Yeah, that's pretty funny, isn't it?" Do not cry. Do not cry. You are not a wimpy little thing. You're Rogue. You're tough.

"Are you gonna let me talk or just yell?"

"Fine. Talk." Now he's going to say something like 'I never meant to hurt you' or 'I hope we can be friends' or 'I didn't mean to lead you on' or -

"I want you to come with me to Canada."

"What?" I must have heard that wrong. Had to have.

"I said, I want you to come with me to Canada. I didn't wanna ask you yet. I wanted to...I dunno, figure somethin' out to say that would make you wanna go."

"What?" Definitely a hearing glitch. Because that doesn't even sound remotely like he's dumping me.

"I know you like it here. I know you like bein' on the team. I don't wanna take that away from you, but I don't like stayin' here. I was thinkin'.....I was thinkin' that we could spend the winter in Canada. I got a place up north. Then we could spend the summer here. You know, like half and half."

"What?" Maybe it's some kind of mirage, or hallucination. Even if my ears are working right, my brain could be playing a trick on me.

"Well, it would technically be more than half here, but it'd be pretty close to half 'cause it's a long-ass winter where the cabin is."

"What?" Nothing's processing right. Because he sounded like he said spend the winter with him in a remote cabin in Canada.

"Rogue, is that all you're gonna say?"

"No. No. I'm also going to say - OK."

"What?" Now it's his turn. But if I'm not, you know, deaf or having some kind of mental break, that would be OK with me. Half and half.

"I said OK. Sounds good to me."

"What about all that shit you just said?"

"Was any of it right? Were you thinking any of that?"

"No. Hell no."

"Well, OK, then." Good. Good. Because I didn't think so, but it never hurts to ask right out.

"You're not mad?"

"Well, yes, I am a little mad that you said something to Scott and not me, and I am a little mad that you thought you had to think of a way to tell me or to try to get me to go instead of just asking or talking it out. But I'll get over it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Probably faster if you kiss me." Because I'd really like to feel that he means it, not just hear that he means it.

"You're a lusty little thing, you know that?"

"You corrupted me."

"Yeah. Sorry." Serious? He's serious?

"I was kidding."

"Well, it's kinda true. I mean, you probably got a lotta me in there, huh? In your head? And I'm - I'm your first and you only know me, so, you know, I'm a little - "

"Hey. I was always that way." Just ask Mr. Shower Massage. "You didn't corrupt me. You're a good influence." Now I'm getting his raised eyebrow. "Well, you're not a bad influence."

"So, you're sure then?"

"Yeah." And I think the Professor and Scott will be OK with that. I mean, half and half is fair. It's a fair compromise.

"Good. 'Cause I got a lotta things planned for the winter. Still a lotta stuff I haven't taught you yet."

"I'm up for more lessons. But you still haven't kissed me yet."

"Right now, darlin'."

Mmmm....he's good at that. Very, very good. Excellent. Superlative. But he's pretty good at other things too.

"Hey - Logan? You know - I meant some of what I said before. I do really, really care about you. It's not just the sex stuff for me."

"Me either, baby. You should know that by now." The way he's holding me now, the way he looks in my eyes when we're together, the way he feels in my head - I guess he's right. I should know.

"Yeah, I do. I'm a slow learner, but eventually I catch on."

There's the leer. Oh, God, I am falling for him. I'm looking at that leer and thinking how attractive it is.

"You sure as hell do, baby. You sure as hell do."

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives